New to La Scala Wow what a sound stage

JMeader

12 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

I’ll tell you, I am damn lucky I have all of my fingers after bashing rolls of those caps with rocks when I was younger…

Ditto

Did you smash them with the roll "flat" or "vertical"?

I went with vertical.

Wow quite the thread! I'm no expert but here's my take.... as someone newish to Klipsch ownership (CF3's) that I enjoy as they are.

I like the sports car analogy someone made earlier, as I see these heritage Klipsch as something timeless and ever evolving (and appreciating) like a Porsche 911.

Some people hack them up, modify them into something they never were intended to be and may or may not be happy with the outcome but the changes are sometimes permanent. To me this is not so bad on a salvage situation, speakers that were thrashed to start with. Make them whatever you like. This is the LS engine in the 911. Potential for high performance but the original intent is lost.

Other folks maintain the original intent, pursue "upgrades" to some extent but with the idea that the original product only needs slight adjustments based on what has been learned since it's inception. Kind of like modern tires on the classic 911, or a crossover refresh, sand down and refinish, or even a driver replacement (as like for like as possible, and only if needed) This is where I'd find myself.

The last group is the purists, they want to absolutely maintain the OEM spec without almost no allowance for changes. They would run leaded gas if it were available, as well as bias ply tires...  Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it can be difficult to achieve, especially if the OEM parts are not available. I imagine if there were OEM "Klipsch" manufactured/tested/approved parts for the old Heritage speakers more folks would be interested in going this route. If I owned a vintage La Scala and they needed some work I'd definitely explore this option, perhaps offered by a secondary supplier that is Klipsch approved.... 

Lots to learn and in the end we have more in common than we think, no matter the preferences listed above. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zack R said:

. I imagine if there were OEM "Klipsch" manufactured/tested/approved parts for the old Heritage speakers more folks would be interested in going this route. If I owned a vintage La Scala and they needed some work I'd definitely explore this option, perhaps offered by a secondary supplier that is Klipsch approved....

Zack   -How are You -

klipsch does supply OEM "Klipsch" manufactured/tested/approved parts for the old Heritage /Newer Heritage  , and for every model of speaker they sell -

However Klipsch  supply and sell these klipsch parts to  @JEM Performance   , and JEM  can sell you a parts kit or do the repair work -

this question of JEM  being a Secondary Supplier that buys 1/3 party parts that Klipsch approves off is incorrect -

JEM is a klipsch Certified Repair Center and Supplier of Klipsch Original Parts for crossovers -  just as your local Ford -GM-Chrysler Dealer would be for Genuine  Automotive Parts -  I hope this helps -Randy

19 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

Zack   -How are You -

klipsch does supply OEM "Klipsch" manufactured/tested/approved parts for the old Heritage /Newer Heritage  , and for every model of speaker they sell -

However Klipsch  supply and sell these klipsch parts to  @JEM Performance   , and JEM  can sell you a parts kit or do the repair work -

this question of JEM  being a Secondary Supplier that buys 1/3 party parts that Klipsch approves off is incorrect -

JEM is a klipsch Certified Repair Center and Supplier of Klipsch Original Parts for crossovers -  just as your local Ford -GM-Chrysler Dealer would be for Genuine  Automotive Parts -  I hope this helps -Randy

That's great news, and something that may not be widely known. Thanks for the heads up!

11 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

Avgas ---is the Best

I used to get this for my dirt bike.  They looked at me with curious eyes when I showed up (at the very small municipal airport)

Not so sure they'd do that today....  (I did it prior to 9-11)

Can be amazing how far off stray we are able to pull a thread.  Just saying.... (admitting my own guilt)

13 minutes ago, wstrickland1 said:

Ya know that Jane Mansfield had big breasts.

Near field observation... objects in rearview appear smaller than they actually are...if you can read this you are too close for comfort...

Back on topic, thanks.

• Haha 1