New to La Scala Wow what a sound stage

JMeader

1 minute ago, yamahaSHO said:

Same with say, a Mustang... If I swap a better built motor in it, it's still a Mustang. 

Much of the La Scala is in the design, no? Some of us chose to install what we think are better drivers and in the case of the tweeter, I liked the CT-120 so much more, 

I originally just planned on doing the tweeter, but the K-55's on my La Scalas were beat up with magnets having not been treated well, so I gave the A-55-G's a try (it also didn't have the original crossovers and I don't think the tweeters that were installed were original). For the Heresy's, they had two different drivers, K-55-M and soldered K-55-V's. I preferred to swap out to new, and I considered the Atlas drivers.

I like the sound... A lot.  I still call them Klipsch La Scalas and an audition has turned many friends into Klipsch enthusiasts, looking for their own set. 

I don't get it. In each case, you've changed so many of the key components (I mean - completely swap out a Mustang motor but you call it a Mustang?) that you can say - well, what's left?

You said - "Much of the La Scala is in the design, no?" To me, the *design* is the carefully engineered *sum* of the enclosure, drivers, materials, and crossover. You change any of that, you've changed the design. Not a La Scala any more. It's a modded La Scala. Fine, if that's what you want. Some people love tweaking and hacking...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

OK, so if the drivers were still good, and he only changed the capacitors, would it still be called a LaScala?

Obviously, you have to change the capacitors when they age and no longer function to spec. Going back to the car analogy, you have to replace the oil filters and the brake pads, because they wear out. Yeah, it's still a La Scala. But change the drivers, the crossover design, the enclosure shape/materials - you've changed the basic functionality and the sound.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, fmalloy said:

I don't get it. In each case, you've changed so many of the key components (I mean - completely swap out a Mustang motor but you call it a Mustang?) that you can say - well, what's left?

You said - "Much of the La Scala is in the design, no?" To me, the *design* is the carefully engineered *sum* of the enclosure, drivers, materials, and crossover. You change any of that, you've changed the design. Not a La Scala any more. It's a modded La Scala. Fine, if that's what you want. Some people love tweaking and hacking...

A modded La Scala is still... Wait for it... A... La... Scala!  I suppose I could put my own name on it and push people away from the brand. 

Just like a car, you start with a platform.  In my case, it's an S2000, based on capability around a track.  However, I wanted to go faster, so it's now got a turbo, big wing, big splitter, big brakes, much better suspension, etc.  I didn't change the body or geometry of things, just like I didn't change the horn loading for every driver. 

In tuning cars... Lots of engineering there.  Mostly, it's done around emissions and when I tune it, it runs better and makes more power.  It's still, X car. 

Geesh, cut the guy some slack there's absolutely nothing wrong with the parts he ordered and my bet is his speakers WILL sound better with the new parts,  if not he'll still have the old parts right?? Since when did these "upgrades" from Crites become so controversial? 

@JMeader congrats on the new speakers! Trust your own ears when replacing these parts many consider them true upgrades over stock I know I do.

Jesse

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• Klipsch Employees
1 hour ago, yamahaSHO said:

A modded La Scala is still... Wait for it... A... La... Scala!  I suppose I could put my own name on it and push people away from the brand. 

Just like a car, you start with a platform.  In my case, it's an S2000, based on capability around a track.  However, I wanted to go faster, so it's now got a turbo, big wing, big splitter, big brakes, much better suspension, etc.  I didn't change the body or geometry of things, just like I didn't change the horn loading for every driver. 

In tuning cars... Lots of engineering there.  Mostly, it's done around emissions and when I tune it, it runs better and makes more power.  It's still, X car. 

Ummm no. What model do you want to call it?

• Klipsch Employees
2 hours ago, fmalloy said:

Obviously, you have to change the capacitors when they age and no longer function to spec. Going back to the car analogy, you have to replace the oil filters and the brake pads, because they wear out. Yeah, it's still a La Scala. But change the drivers, the crossover design, the enclosure shape/materials - you've changed the basic functionality and the sound.

Is there a maintenance schedule of speakers?

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
2 hours ago, yamahaSHO said:

I was going to post along the same lines... I'm a big car guy.  I tune professionally and I have my own race car.  We constantly make it better with parts, engine swaps, brake upgrades, etc.  I am proud that we have a 1,200 hp 1995 Ford Taurus running a stock block and crank, but we have upgraded rods and pistons, modified the heads, etc, but that doesn't make it not a Ford Taurus (we get told, "it's just a Taurus" all the time). In this case, if we do shy away from this motor, it won't really be an SHO anymore, because that was really the only thing that made it an SHO, but it's still a Taurus. Same with say, a Mustang... If I swap a better built motor in it, it's still a Mustang. 

Much of the La Scala is in the design, no? Some of us chose to install what we think are better drivers and in the case of the tweeter, I liked the CT-120 so much more, I did it again on another set of Klipsch speakers, the Heresy... So do I call it the Heresy squared due to what I did?  There's been plenty of changes over the years to the Heritage stuff and clearly, people have favorites. Same as I prefer the older, plywood Heritage stuff to the new stuff with MDF... That's my preference. 

I originally just planned on doing the tweeter, but the K-55's on my La Scalas were beat up with magnets having not been treated well, so I gave the A-55-G's a try (it also didn't have the original crossovers and I don't think the tweeters that were installed were original). For the Heresy's, they had two different drivers, K-55-M and soldered K-55-V's. I preferred to swap out to new, and I considered the Atlas drivers.  That said, I could not hear a difference between the two K-55's, so I had no reason to suspect they were different before opening them up. 

I like the sound... A lot.  I still call them Klipsch La Scalas and an audition has turned many friends into Klipsch enthusiasts, looking for their own set. 

I suggest the yamahasho model 1’s....

34 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

Ummm no. What model do you want to call it?

If we want to discredit everything else, I suppose it doesn't matter. It's just an updated speaker for the times that sounds better to me.  I grew up with La Scalas my entire life as my dad bought a brand new set the year I was born, which is going on 39 years. They are completely original (original AL crossovers as well) and they sound great, but so do mine.  I can't ask him to compare as 26 years of flying fighters and another 23 of airlines has made his hearing less than desirable. 

I suppose if they were perfect, Klipsch would still be selling the original model, with the same drivers and plywood, but here we are.

I had a couple of RW-12d's and they were okay.  I took one of the drivers and put it in a sonotube and it is fantastic, like really good (read, significantly better).  I don't call that an RW-12d as I completely changed the cabinet, but I do make it a point to point out the driver. It's even got a Klipsch badge on it off my dad's La Scalas. 

32893388313_0241e6e2cc_h.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

Is there a maintenance schedule of speakers?

My capacitors were leaking, so I'd imagine to some extent, absolutely. 

There was a very large variance between the build quality in my Heresy's... One was built significantly better than the other.  Because of that, I did have to do some real maintenance.  Plus, the leaky capacitors. 

3 hours ago, JMeader said:

I Stand corrected as to my perceptions

Sorry if I have created stress for some that feel only "original" is the only way.

I totally understand and appreciate if you like it why " change it " perspective, it is just not mine.

Would I make changes to the current La Scala's -  Hell No

but I have 42 year old speakers that are visually in need of attention and based on that condition it is my perception that they were probably abused more than once in that time frame.

My perception was one of making these great speakers look better was a good idea, I also perceived that updating the electronics was also in order. I see that that perception is not shared, Ok I will go away and enjoy what choose to do.

Don’t go away, there are many many people here that feel the same way as you do. Don’t be fooled.

• Like 4