New to La Scala Wow what a sound stage

JMeader

I just got just a pair of 1978 La Scala's, which were probably a dance hall or bar sound system, well scratched and used to say the least.

I have never had speakers which are so easily placed in a room and still have a sound stage. Against the wall and close together and its still there. Spread them apart and bring them out from the back wall and the sound stage grows and gets deeper. 

question for experienced La Scala owners what is it about these speakers that make them so easily placed in a room. If there was no other reason to own these speakers this ability is worth the expense

Yes their style is at best Retro, they are big and made out of marine plywood, but close your eyes and just sit back and enjoy.and it just does not matter anymore.

• Like 4

the Lascala 1978 was not made with Marine plywood , it was roughly closer to  3/4 inch , it's plywood with a birch ply on the outside -----however --later 80's LaScala industrial used a slightly thicker than 3/4 plywood with a Fir ply on the outside  -

1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

the Lascala 1978 was not made with Marine plywood , it was roughly closer to  3/4 inch , it's plywood with a birch ply on the outside -----however --later 80's LaScala industrial used a slightly thicker than 3/4 plywood with a Fir ply on the outside  -

and you came upon this information, where?

2 hours ago, JMeader said:

what is it about these speakers that make them so easily placed in a room. If there was no other reason to own these speakers this ability is worth the expense

close your eyes and just sit back and enjoy.and it just does not matter anymore.

Welcome to the party

Horn loaded on all three drivers with roughly equal dispersion and phase

Mids are at ear level sitting.

Crossover point was 400hz on the mids which puts almost all voice energy on the mid horns

Atlas was I believe the original Compression driver OEM for the mids, they built a great driver which Klipsch foolishly walked away from in a cost cutting more, when he went back to Atlas they blew him off.

Unless you block them with a bookshelf, they sound great anywhere.

Guessing they were for theaters where sound is everything, turns out they are great in any size room.

Industrial versions were also produced, different industrial finish.

They came in raw birch plywood, veneer was an option; which I ,like most people, skipped for cost reasons.

I purchased mine instead of a car, and have never looked.