I finally got a Leben...

MeloManiac

A little update.

During winter, it is pretty cold up in my den, so I decided to move my Leben CS300 and my Heresies downstairs to the living area. They have been there for five or six weeks and this is my primary music system. I listen to it all day, spinning vinyl, CDs and streaming.

All this time I have used the Gold Lion tubes, which are not original. They sound fine, of course. But today I decided to do some tube rolling and put the original Sovtek 12AX7A tubes in.

At age 52, my hearing is far from perfect, so I find it difficult to A/B. Perhaps the Sovteks give a bit more detail in the high frequencies and a bit more channel separation? Other than that, I can't say I hear much difference.

The former owner told me he replaced all the tubes because one channel dropped in volume from time to time. He didn't know what tube was to blame, so he replaced them all. I'll be listening to the Sovteks all afternoon and see what happens when they get really up to temperature.

One of the issues I had early on, was noise when I turned the Bass Boost nob. This had improved, just by using the nob moderately. But now with the original Sovtek tubes, the noise is completely gone. My technical knowledge doesn't go far enough to explain this, though.

Also, just for testing, I connected the Leben CS300 to my 40 year old two-way, floorstanding Onkyo speakers. They are 4 ohm and sounded amazingly well with the Leben. 

The Genalex Gold Lion is a fine looking little tube, by the way. 

PSX_20210303_143717.jpg

PSX_20210303_143738.jpg

PSX_20210303_143813.jpg

PSX_20210303_143831.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Schu said:

nice!

Ive never been a fan of gold lions... but that's just me.

The selling of so many vintage brands is frusterating. I don't believe gold lion was originally Russian.. Not bashing Russian tubes at all very good stuff.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2022 at 8:06 PM, chev g said:

Hello ! I am thinking of getting the Leben 300 XS. Anyone here using the Heresy 4's with it? Would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

I’m so close to being able to help, but….. my CS300F isn’t the exact same as the XS, hasn’t arrived yet anyway and my Heresy are modded series I. However, the people I’ve asked (and trust) on this types of pairing say Klipsch (especially the Heritage lines) are a go to. My current Harman Kardon A230 only has 15 watts also and uses the same basic tube set: EL84 & 12AX7, (granted the circuits and components are very different), and the Heresy are phenomenal with it.

• Like 1