speaker sensitivity

stingray787

Hi to everyone.This is my first post on here.Looking for some advice.I recently purchased the Reisong SET amp rated at 6 watts per channel.Was using it

with a pair of Snell Acoustics Type K Mk1's rated at 90dB.I found that i had to have the volume really high on the amp especially when using the record deck.

I decided to purchase a pair of Klipsch RP 160's as the sensitivity of these is 96dB,but it hasn't made any difference to volume position i'm having to use on 

the amp.Is there an obvious reason for this.Would really appreciate any advice on this frustrating topic

The setting on the knob has no bearing on the mv driving the amplifier. That is determined by the maker of the product.  Ideally one would like to setting on the knob at listening level to be halfway or say 12:00. I do not like a volume control where the volume is too loud at 1/4 way open. No control. As long as you are not running out of steam or sounding harsh at the setting you like all is good. There is not a lot of difference in perceived volume between 90db and 96db sensitivity. It is easy for someone with basic electronic knowledge to change the volume pot to one you would like better. Pots come in linear, which would open up at 1/4 setting most likely at the volume you like, or audio taper with more range for the pot. Also in different impedance's which has an effect of  control. It all boils down to 6 watts of tube sound with either speaker is plenty enough for most people. 

I have a buffer linestage, preamplifier, that I like for volume control which I use with all my amplifiers. On an amplifier like yours with a volume control I would just open the pot wide open and use my linestage, Firstwatt B1-v2, for volume control. This makes it easier for me to swap out amplifiers for testing or sit down enjoying.

Hi henry.Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.I find i am running out of steam when using my record deck.Obviously weaker signal

than cd player.Do you recommend changing the volume pot or installing a buffer linestage preamp.Is one better than the other.

Many thanks. Steve

45 minutes ago, stingray787 said:

Hi henry.Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.I find i am running out of steam when using my record deck.Obviously weaker signal

than cd player.Do you recommend changing the volume pot or installing a buffer linestage preamp.Is one better than the other.

Many thanks. Steve

Running out of steam but not distorting? From what I gather your amplifier does not have a lot of gain, which is not a bad thing. That or your phono pre-amplifier does not. When I say gain it does not mean power. In theory a 200 watt amplifier could not have a lot of gain either and require a pre-amplifier. A buffer will not help you, what you need is a linestage or what most call a pre-amplifier. A pre-amplifier has gain and will drive the front end of your amplifier with more mv's. That or either a phono pre-amplifier with more gain. I had the same problem with my moving coil phono cartridge and had to build a phono amplifier with more gain. Most buy a moving coil phono amplifier but I am a diy'er and had built my own. It was pretty simple to do with the phono pre-amplifier I have being it uses an IC as most phono pre-amplifiers and all one has to do is change a couple of resistors. If I were you and if your phono player has a built in pre-amplifier is to buy another phono pre-amplifier and try that first. They are not that expensive unless one is talking an audiophile one and even some of those are built around an IC chip. Read the spec's and get one with more gain. 

On 1/10/2021 at 4:01 PM, stingray787 said:

Would really appreciate any advice

---the issue is relative to the higher output  Impedance ,  thIs Chinese amplifier does not see the RP 160 as 8 Ohms speakers -

Set the impedance at the rear of the amplifier to 4 Ohms  -

Dumb question-is the OP using a moving coil cartridge with a preamp meant for moving magnet cartridges?

As far as I know, all moving magnet cartridges should work fine with a phono preamp meant for same.

I looked at a web site selling the Reisong A10 and I see NO mention of a phono input, just an "AUX" input. Is that input phono compatible?

31 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

I looked at a web site selling the Reisong A10 and I see NO mention of a phono input, just an "AUX" input. Is that input phono compatible?

Good point. He may just need a phono pre-amplifier. A mistake a newbie to phono's could make very easily. Especially those that did not grow up with phono's. But these day most phono players have a built in pre-amplifier. 

The problem is not speaker sensitivity it's your amplifier's input sensitivity that's at issue. The A10's input sensitivity is 750 millivolts meaning that's the input level needed to drive the amp to full output. Your cd player is probably outputting around 2 volts so you don't need to turn the volume up fully to hit the maximum while playing cd's. Your turntable is obviously putting out less than 750 millivolts that's why your speakers are not very loud. You need a preamp. I have the A10 amp and with enough voltage at the inputs it should be more than adequate to drive either the Snells or the Klipsch.