Khorn S/N 313

Jerryh

Hello,

I inherited this khorn along with a tube amp radio and turntable when my great grandfather passed away in 1980 and have kept it since. Can anyone tell me what year it was made and any history based on the serial number?

Thank you in advance,

Jerry

20210110_145251.jpg

20210110_145301.jpg

This is a "Brociner" Klipschorn.  Victor Brociner of NYC was Paul's first distributor.  Initially the speakers were Klipsch factory product with his labels.  At least 2 of them pre-date the initial Klipsch factory that started with serial number 121.  Later he became the first patent infringer when he started making them himself, either from scratch, or "kit bashing" using parts from various sources.  The HF driver on this looks like it may be a JBL.

Naturally he pissed off PWK to no end.  My suspicion is that "poor little PWK in Arkansas" did not have the means to fight a "big shot in NYC".  We have about an inch thick file on the dispute.  

There may be other text (printed or hand-written) on the HF horn that would help to identify a date.

• Like 1

Really interesting, thank you for the reply. I didn't see anything else on the HF horn, but I'll look closer today. I know the neighbors were glad to see the setup leave Portland as great Grandpa Gustov was hard of hearing and would listen to Beethoven at high volume in the backyard and as you know this speaker sound carries like no other.  Cheers