Vintage Yamaha w/ Heritage Klipsch

Mick1132

Anyone running vintage Yamaha with your Klipsch?  I recently picked up a Yamaha CR 620 to flip. I’ve hooked it up to my Chorus II’s expecting it to be too bright and clinical sounding.  To my surprise, it sounds pretty darn good.  Not too bright and the unique loudness adjustment allows me to take out any sharpness.  It really drives the bass and mid tones.  I guess I was expecting the “natural sound” to be uninspiring.  Now, it’s got me wanting to compare to my Marantz 2285 and Sansui 8080.  I would love to hear from others running 70’s Yamaha’s amps/receivers with Heritage Klipsch.   Btw.....I’m doing the sound check listing to Steely Dan. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mick1132 said:

Anyone running vintage Yamaha with your Klipsch?  I recently picked up a Yamaha CR 620 to flip. I’ve hooked it up to my Chorus II’s expecting it to be too bright and clinical sounding.  To my surprise, it sounds pretty darn good.  Not too bright and the unique loudness adjustment allows me to take out any sharpness.  It really drives the bass and mid tones.  I guess I was expecting the “natural sound” to be uninspiring.  Now, it’s got me wanting to compare to my Marantz 2285 and Sansui 8080.  I would love to hear from others running 70’s Yamaha’s amps/receivers with Heritage Klipsch.   Btw.....I’m doing the sound check listing to Steely Dan. 

Good deal... welcome to the forum!

@Mick1132,

Welcome to the forum.

2 hours ago, Mick1132 said:

I would love to hear from others running 70’s Yamaha’s amps/receivers with Heritage Klipsch.   Btw.....I’m doing the sound check listing to Steely Dan. 

Yamaha CR-2040 with Heresys and Heresy IIs.  Incredible.  Same can be said of the Sansui 9090DB I had for a while.

Steely Dan is always my go to band for demos.

Bill

2 hours ago, Mick1132 said:

"Anyone running vintage Yamaha with your Klipsch?"

There's more than a handful of Klipsch owners on this forum that appreciate/use vintage elecs.  A Yam CA-1000 powers my front 'Scalas and a CA-2010 pushes the rear RPs.  Always been happy with the sound and the look - not looking to change anytime soon.  Enjoy yours!

~

IMG_0268.jpeg

• Like 2

I have had 2: HK930s, 1: HK730, I 2: HK630s, 1: CR2020 and all have been very good with various Heritage that I have had.

One of my HK930 was fully recapped and it showed.

My Yammy was untouched and was very nice to listen to!

So far the best vintage amp with Heritage is my current Sansui AU-717 that was completely redone by leestereo over on AudioKarma.

The refurb on the 717 cost well over what I paid for this mint 717, but totally  worth it!

The Piggy 717 drives either my H3s or LSs  with ease and huge dynamics.

Very happy with it!

13 hours ago, HPower said:

I have had 2: HK930s, 1: HK730, I 2: HK630s, 1: CR2020 and all have been very good with various Heritage that I have had.

One of my HK930 was fully recapped and it showed.

My Yammy was untouched and was very nice to listen to!

So far the best vintage amp with Heritage is my current Sansui AU-717 that was completely redone by leestereo over on AudioKarma.

The refurb on the 717 cost well over what I paid for this mint 717, but totally  worth it!

The Piggy 717 drives either my H3s or LSs  with ease and huge dynamics.

Very happy with it!

Thanks for sharing about the au 717.  I have an opportunity to get one that is in the final stages of being restored by a very reputable tech.  The same guy that restored my 2285.  

Hey Mick,

My AU-717 is in a secondary system driving either La Scalas or Heresy3s, and maybe a pair of KLF-10s that I just refurbished.

The 717 sounded pretty good before I had the complete overhaul done, but after it sounds great!

Leestereo did a fantastic job, replacing no less than 154 components.

Sansui (and I believe other companies) used a glue during this era to attach caps to the boards that over time broke down and became corrosive.

This corrosion can effect anything that the glue comes in contact with so the only way for a proper restoration is to get in there and remove

all that old glue before even starting to replace anything.

Here is a link to a 717 Leestereo did where he documents a lot of what goes into a proper restoration, might be worth a read to cross-reference

what your tech is doing to the unit you are looking at.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/leestereos-restoration-upgrade-of-a-sansui-au-717.641945/

My restoration cost a lot of money, but this thing will be making music long after I am gone. 😋