Exodus anarchy subwoofer question

Lbk

18 minutes ago, Lbk said:

At some point today I am going to glue on the final side panels. How much dry/cure time is required before I can run them. Should I let them sit over night before I fire them up? Thanks!

Definitely let sit for at least 24 hours. Read the instructions on the glue bottle, and be patient. It will be best to wait.

• Like 1

Just now, rockhound said:

@Lbk "tomorrow night" has came and went, you get some juice to these yet?

No sorry, going to be a couple days. Took them outside in the daylight and found a few cosmetic issues I want to fix. Don't want to do any cabinet work with the speaker in the boxes.

It's cold out but may try and get some work done on them today.

10 hours ago, Lbk said:

No sorry, going to be a couple days. Took them outside in the daylight and found a few cosmetic issues I want to fix. Don't want to do any cabinet work with the speaker in the boxes.

It's cold out but may try and get some work done on them today.

Got some work done on them today, one is glued up and will  be ready tomorrow. The other I hope to glue up in the morning and have ready Thursday.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, MookieStl said:

@Lbk did you ever finish your build? Did I miss it?

How do you like the sub?

I did finish but the sub out on my martanz receiver quit working. Checked to make sure sub out was on, tried different sound and speaker modes, nothing. I did run it from a main pre out it didn't sound very good, low bass spl. I know these are not known for SPL but I had it right next to my head on a table behind sofa, almost nothing.

I have an old Sony 444es with pre outs I need to hook up, not looking forward to dealing  7.1 wiring rats nest. I will try to get it hooked up in the next few days, its scare looking behind the receiver.

1 minute ago, Lbk said:

I did finish but the sub out on my martanz receiver quit working. Checked to make sure sub out was on, tried different sound and speaker modes, nothing. I did run it from a main pre out it didn't sound very good, low bass spl. I know these are not known for SPL but I had it right next to my head on a table behind sofa, almost nothing.

I have an old Sony 444es with pre outs I need to hook up, not looking forward to dealing  7.1 wiring rats nest. I will try to get it hooked up in the next few days, its scare looking behind the receiver.

good luck

11 hours ago, Lbk said:

What amp are you using to power the sub?

12 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

What amp are you using to power the sub?

Wharfedale pro mp 1200 - Was using this amp as a quick check before I hooking up yamahs ax 592. 592 has a sub sonic filter mp 1200  does not but was in rack - easy to hook up. 

Used the mp1200  to run my revel b15 with no problems, revel had a bad amp.

Finally got 1 of the subs running  correctly, I need a y Jack to get the other going. Not an spl monster but puts out nice  clean bass and digs fairly  low. Got it set at 60hz with 20 sub filter on amp.

Running my b15 up front and 1lil Mike next to the sofa. Fills the room - rear nicely without dragging the front stage back. Really like sub so far, 2 should be even better. Let me know if you have any questions.

Have both working set at 60hz, delivers nice clean bottom end when needed.😁

I’m interested in building a pair, or possibly 3-4, of these subs.  You guys xocered construction extremely well, how about wiring them up.  Someone mentions the Bash 300 amp from PE, I’m guessing 1amp per pair, or could I run 3 from 1 amp?  Wire from 1st driver to second, in parallel to maintain 4ohm load ? Perhaps 2  per amp would be max to stay at 4 ohm? 
 I’m pretty weak in electronics and need a little guidance.  
thanks so much, this seems like a great solution to get some bass boost at moderate volume levels, I never listen above 85 dB.

btw, is this the Tang Band recommended?4C405972-EA68-40C2-9E40-7EBD2D247F41.thumb.png.249a8c9bb0922d133562e369c1e30c8b.png

What you describe could be done.  I built four from flat packs with 8 ohm Exodus Anarchy woofers.  Before all four were completed, first one, then two, then three were powered by various combinations of amps and series or parallel wiring configurations.   Now two iNuke1000dsp amps power the four subs. Each sub has its own channel.

A fifth scratch-built unit houses the neo version of the woofer you suggest.  I paid just $50 for the open box unit from PE.  My son uses it in his HT system.  

After completing the TB unit I compared it to one of the Exodus Anarchy units. There is no discernible to me difference.  IIRC, Lil’Mike, the designer of the sub, approved of the TB drivers.  The neo and standard unit perform similarly.

3797FFC7-16B7-47C5-9EFB-5ADF3AD5473C.jpeg

11 hours ago, VDS said:

I see there is the Anarchy 704 at DIY soundgroup, pretty similar specs and price. A little higher power handling.

That is the one I used, arrived in 2 days after ordering. Lil Mike sells thur DIY soundgroup and it's preferred  over tang brand.  Both are recommended by lili mike but testing shows 704 to be slightly better.

I use a 100 watt per channel stereo integrated amp with a 20 hz sub sonic filter. Filter is recommend so sub is not over driven, speaker is actually a mid woofer.  

You could use a  plate amp but personally I never like them,  hard to adjust and more work to mount. Hopefully more knowledgeable people will come along and suggest an amp of your choosing. I got mine amp off cls for 40 bucks used.

I did not build an access door or terminal for speaker. (Lazy) Speaker is wired direct and runs out front of sub box.

The more I listen to these the more I like them, covers low end nicely. The fill in  nicely with both chorus II's and revel b15 upfront. I haven't even adjust them just hooked them set avr to 60 hz they sound great right out of the box. 

Carl posted another thread on this subject you might want to read. ( 25hz tapped horn - It's in the sub section) Let me know if you have any questions.

12 hours ago, VDS said:

I’m interested in building a pair, or possibly 3-4, of these subs.  You guys xocered construction extremely well, how about wiring them up.  Someone mentions the Bash 300 amp from PE, I’m guessing 1amp per pair, or could I run 3 from 1 amp?  Wire from 1st driver to second, in parallel to maintain 4ohm load ? Perhaps 2  per amp would be max to stay at 4 ohm? 
 I’m pretty weak in electronics and need a little guidance.  
thanks so much, this seems like a great solution to get some bass boost at moderate volume levels, I never listen above 85 dB.

btw, is this the Tang Band recommended?4C405972-EA68-40C2-9E40-7EBD2D247F41.thumb.png.249a8c9bb0922d133562e369c1e30c8b.png

What size is your listening room? That might help the smart guys determine how many subs you need to build.  

Listening room is 13 x 20, but has 2- 5’ archways on long side, so that side has 10’ of wall, opens to kitch, dinning room.

If I were to use a regular integrated amp for subs, how to implement crossover?  Do you put a cap at speaker for a, say 60- 80hz, low pass filter?  
I’m doing strictly 2 ch, 2 speaker, audio only, preamp, amp, no AVR .

thanks for the response, Ted