eBay La Scala pair in Illinois

codewritinfool

5 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Never heard of Cedar Point Il. 

While being functional, I don't like the look with the handles. $2000 seems a little optimistic, at least on here, seller has a very good eBay rating.

Nope! I like the handles. They might have been added after they dropped one on the front corner.

$2000 is high for here but low for what I have been seeing on ebay (asking price not actual selling price)

Cedar Point is a nice town. (Only been there once, but....)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174593809615

No affiliation.

I’ve never seen La Scalas like those with handles too.

These are LSI   ------1988 ---but  most  1988  1 piece LSI cabs  had the rounded corners and edges ,except the 1 piece LSI's with metal trim --the metal edging was removed and a veneer was added --------so AL-K77M-K55M-K43 -

-Serial  no is 8832916 -   which is 1988 LSI -

s-l1600.jpg

12 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

These are LSI   ------1988 ---but  most  1988  1 piece LSI cabs  had the rounded corners and edges ,except the 1 piece LSI's with metal trim --the metal edging was removed and a veneer was added --------so AL-K77M-K55M-K43 -

I would ask a moderator to step in here.  @dwilawyer

38 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

The facts stated are accurate for the LSI 1988  -

here is a similar unit recently purchased by a Forum member -------the unit has rounded edges and corners since it does not have metal edging which required square corners -

-  I own LSI Klipsch speakers with square and round corners   -

the Serial no 8832916 is 1988 LSI  -200w - AL-K77M-K55M-K43

00h0h_cGRCOnfcfX0z_0io0o2_600x450.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I would ask a moderator to step in here.  @dwilawyer

What's the issue? What they are, or not?

You have to have photos and labels for a start, and that doesn't always get you there because in that era Klipsch & Associates would make you anything you wanted pert near.

The person to ask is Andy, @HDBRbuilder, that will get you a start, but I have seen both Andy and Jim Hunter talk about times when non-standard things would be used at times for a multitude of reasons. Bob Heil, I think, was still ordering and using LS's in his systems then, and he is just down the road from those.

@bhendrix would probably know, he was the COO of the nation's largest Klipsch dealer AND he was running LS pro systems for live gigs up until right about '81. He could tell you the options, what he saw them come with, what he blew up, what they sent him to replace what they blew up. He can also tell you everything about the consumer LS of that era in terms of any variants, options, or anomalies.

44 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

here is a similar unit recently purchased by a Forum member -------the unit has rounded edges and corners

The only edges / corners rounded on the LS that's on ebay are the trim pieces that frame the grills. 
Looks wise, those two LS have nothing in common.

12 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

The only edges / corners rounded on the LS that's on ebay are the trim pieces that frame the grills. 
Looks wise, those two LS have nothing in common.

let me recapitulate - the speaker on Ebay is an LSI  , with square corners which means it used to be an  LSI with metal trim -   trim was removed and veneer was added --

-- in 1988 all  plain 1 piece cabinet  LSI speakers  had rounded corners -   However -- if the speaker  had metal trim , the cabinet used by the Factory had  regular , square corners under the metal trim -

1 hour ago, dwilawyer said:

He can also tell you everything about the consumer LS

The speakers on this thread are Industrial series LSI  -they are not consumer LS -

the indication 200 watts on the terminal cup confirms this is an LSI   AL-K77M-K55M-K43 -   SER # 8832916

Consumer LS are rated at 100 watts only -

s-l1600.jpg

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

The speakers on this thread are Industrial series LSI  -they are not consumer LS -

the indication 200 watts on the terminal cup confirms this is an LSI   AL-K77M-K55M-K43 -   SER # 8832916

Consumer LS are rated at 100 watts only -

s-l1600.jpg

I didn't say there were consumer. But are all of your assumptions based upon the terminal cup and those S/Ns? Those cups can be from anywhere, all of those parts are interchangeable.  They quit putting S/N's on the cups later for that very reason. 

1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

let me recapitulate - the speaker on Ebay is an LSI  , with square corners which means it used to be an  LSI with metal trim -   trim was removed and veneer was added --

-- in 1988 all  plain 1 piece cabinet  LSI speakers  had rounded corners -   However -- if the speaker  had metal trim , the cabinet used by the Factory had  regular , square corners under the metal trim -

No way to know that for sure, that's my point. I have seen white factory LSI's from that era (1986) squared - no trim (18 of them), painted in and out, no handles but with hardware to fly them. 

You are forgetting the big House of Worship (HOW) market PWK built up and Bill can tell you all about that too, because he sold and installed those also. Unless you can see something specific with the woodwork/refinish job, I just think there to many assumptions. At some point the options became less and less, but it wasn't at that time point. Just because the "garden variety" of LSI was one way or another doesn't mean they were all made that way. There are wood LSI's hanging in a church 70 miles from Hope (no idea what year, PWK donated them, and he did a lot of churches), and he did a DFH on how to make human speech clear and coherent in that setting. 

But I don't really care, I guess you could ask the seller to see if they know. 

This is one of those instances where your guess is probably better than mine stasticially, but I still don't understand what difference any of this makes?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2021 at 6:20 PM, RandyH000 said:

none so important really -

MY BEST GUESS is that they have been refinished at some point....why?  No Klipsch logo on the front, and no "klipsch" painted on in white...why?  because the logo can't be applied in its normal position, nor can it be painted on in its normal position, due to the round-over of the tweeter and mid-horn lens openings...plus if you look very closely at the "peak of the roof" of the doghouse section...notice the slight discoloration either side of it??  The "peak" has obviously been repaired due to dents and such and a touch up in black has been applied there.  During that same refurbishment the round-overs of all the edges likely occurred, or were slightly over-run with round-over bit in a router, and the entire cabinet, sans the interior of the doghouse portion of the bass bin, was re-shot afterwards in textured black.  We did this quite often at the plant, also...on ones damaged in shipment and returned to us.  The company would write them off as a loss on the books, then we would repair them and the company would donate them to local churches or public schools and write them off again as a donation to a non-profit for tax purposes!  Happened all the time!  But when we did it at the company we always found some way to get the word "Klipsch" onto them so that the listeners would know who made what they were listening to...free advertising!😉

• Like 3

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

MY BEST GUESS is that they have been refinished at some point....why?  No Klipsch logo on the front, and no "klipsch" painted on in white...why?  because the logo can't be applied in its normal position, nor can it be painted on in its normal position, due to the round-over of the tweeter and mid-horn lens openings...plus if you look very closely at the "peak of the roof" of the doghouse section...notice the slight discoloration either side of it??  The "peak" has obviously been repaired due to dents and such and a touch up in black has been applied there.  During that same refurbishment the round-overs of all the edges likely occurred, or were slightly over-run with round-over bit in a router, and the entire cabinet, sans the interior of the doghouse portion of the bass bin, was re-shot afterwards in textured black.  We did this quite often at the plant, also...on ones damaged in shipment and returned to us.  The company would write them off as a loss on the books, then we would repair them and the company would donate them to local churches or public schools and write them off again as a donation to a non-profit for tax purposes!  Happened all the time!  But when we did it at the company we always found some way to get the word "Klipsch" onto them so that the listeners would know who made what they were listening to...free advertising!😉

@HDBRbuilder Where you been Andy? Good to see you. 

3 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

@HDBRbuilder Where you been Andy? Good to see you. 

I've been forced into a much shorter radius of travel from my domicile lately.  Long story!  But the radius will get much longer very soon...once the weather warms up some.  As for posting on the fourm...I have also been busy chatting with many kin on  FB the past year or so...seldom make it into the forum due to that..

• Like 3

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

I've been forced into a much shorter radius of travel from my domicile lately.  Long story!  But the radius will get much longer very soon...once the weather warms up some.  As for posting on the fourm...I have also been busy chatting with many kin on  FB the past year or so...seldom make it into the forum due to that..

Sorry you have been limited, glad to hear you will be branching out soon.