BSM 4592

VDS

4 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

......it measures very well. Now how does it sound......

Given the context, it's a safe bet that it sounds very good indeed.

Roy, if you could make your stash of state of the art compression drivers available to @Chris A, he might enjoy the resulting evaluation project! (Sorry, Chris, didn't mean to volunteer you, but I suspect that you would be thrilled at the prospect.)

• Thanks 1

In the meantime, my hope is that this thread's OP better understands the choices between drivers, and is relying a bit less on hype and purely subjective statements.  I do trust some ears, others not so much, and still others are a little obscure to read between the lines.  I choose an open information approach... 😉. 

I hope it's useful to him.

Chris

8 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

I did have quite the task of comparing most of the state of the art compression drivers. As the gentleman in the video eluded to, you have to know what you want. I didn’t choose the axi2050 blindly. All the measurements that I did led me to one thing......it measures very well. Now how does it sound......

that is THE question that your are most qualified to answer at this time, aye? BTW, will the new Jubilee II have 4 class Dpower amps to go with the active Xover? Should be plug and play to the customer with a lot of money and little technical knowledge beyond just plugging in 2 wires per driver.

5 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

I think my decision is pretty obvious. 

It's obvious to only to some people since I predict the Jubilee II will sell even less than the Khorn has...........or maybe one per present Khorn owner as the final and real UPGRADE.

4 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Given the context, it's a safe bet that it sounds very good indeed.

Roy, if you could make your stash of state of the art compression drivers available to @Chris A, he might enjoy the resulting evaluation project! (Sorry, Chris, didn't mean to volunteer you, but I suspect that you would be thrilled at the prospect.)

I'm thinking you may be right, based on all the technical data that ChrisA has provided to this forum.

• Like 1

If I got these new drivers I could eliminate the mid bass module on my MCM setup and reduce it from almost 9 ft. tall to just over 6.  If I decided not to have a tweeter it could go from a 4 way plus subs to a 2 way plus subs and be shorter than my Jubs.  Just saying.......

20 hours ago, Chris A said:

3) He never talked about the shape of the mating phase plug surface and whether or not the phase fronts of the combined wave fronts at the throat are severely distorted at the highest frequencies (10-20 kHz).  You won't see that using harmonic distortion plots, but you'll hear it in terms of phase distortions as you go up in frequency.  If you can do your FIR filtering to flatten the overall phase response, you can compensate somewhat, but the question remains on how much the human hearing system can detect those phase disturbances, and whether or not higher order wavefront disturbances are propagating down the throat and into the horn, and whether they exist the horn mouth.  Just like diffraction slots, these disturbances cause the generation of higher order horn modes.

I had the privilege of hearing original diaphragms with the 1132 driver on my S-MWM setup. I also had the chance to hear those same drivers on the S-MWM's with Roy's new tractix phase plugs and the difference was not subtle. I don't know what Celestion does for phase plugs but I would not be surprised if Roy sticks his own design in there.  

On 1/17/2021 at 10:13 AM, Dave A said:

I had the privilege of hearing original diaphragms with the 1132 driver on my S-MWM setup. I also had the chance to hear those same drivers on the S-MWM's with Roy's new tractix phase plugs and the difference was not subtle. I don't know what Celestion does for phase plugs but I would not be surprised if Roy sticks his own design in there.  

I would be surprised if he did, since the driver is not made at the Klipsch factory like the K-1132 and K-1133 is.

If you're referring to the driver schematic animation from the released video, that appears to be a Celestion Axi2050 with an extra insert after the phase plug--within the throat exit.  That's why I discussed it in this thread. 

If instead you're talking about the OP's subject (BMS 4592ND with or without the added cost shorting ring for high output operation), I don't know if anyone addressed his question.  If the OP can afford the shorting rings and typically plays his setup near PA levels, that would be the desirable option.  Otherwise, the stock (no shorting ring) driver appears to be good enough for home hi-fi duty (i.e, well under 105 dB at 1m).

Chris

On 1/13/2021 at 4:24 PM, VDS said:

Also any comments on Beryllium diaphragm in a 3 way system ( 6000hz cut off) Radian 950/951?

That's a pretty big waste of money, IMO (...always...), because the Be is there almost solely for the 10-20 kHz octave--certainly anything above 6 kHz.  I don't know why anyone would put a Radian 950BePB on a horn, and then roll off the output at 6 kHz.  Get rid of the separate tweeter driver and horn, instead.  Its ability to play cleanly above 6-10 kHz is why the 2" Be diaphragms came into existence.

Chris

• 6 months later...
On 1/14/2021 at 10:44 AM, VDS said:

The TAD 4002 would certainly be my ultimate choice! I guess like everybody I would have to be able to justify the large expense.  You’re not the first person to say they are clearly better than anything they’ve had before! Thanks 

Are you sure about that? Ever heard/had the 4001's?