Klipsch R-41PM tweeter hiss at 0 volume with no inputs, annoyingly audible from 1-2m

owlee

Hi, I've recently had delivered this pair of active speakers and I definitely love the sound of them & i'm impressed with the quality of everything so far. In fact after trying them out for a bit I went ahead and ordered the R-100SW subwoofer to go with them.

However, I can't get over the static hissing coming out of the tweeters.

To further test this I've taken just the speaker with the amp with nothing plugged in and tested it in various plugs around the house at 0 volume and at somewhat higher volumes and the static hissing seems pretty consistent & unaffected by the volume.

Now for a pair of active speakers I'm not expecting anywhere near complete silence, especially depending on the volume on the speakers themselves. But currently It is annoying how loud it is when playing nothing and I'm sitting over 1 meter away from them. On top of that the room isn't anywhere near silent -- we have two desktop towers spinning fans in the background and the tweeters hissing is still audibly annoying.

Is this normal for this pair or am I likely to have gotten a faulty amp? I've messaged the seller already but they haven't got back to me yet.

16 hours ago, owlee said:

-- we have two desktop towers spinning fans in the background and the tweeters hissing is still audibly annoying.

Is this normal for this pair or am I likely to have gotten a faulty amp? I've messaged the seller already but they haven't got back to me yet.

it is common for Active speakers to have hiss coming out of the tweeters -   but it depends of how highly audible the hiss really is - a bit is ok , too much is not -

it could also be a  ground loop generated from your  PC  or your 2 desktop towers   ,  are your speakers connected to the PC or towers  , if yes , disconnect the Active speakers and test , or move the speakers far away from the PC or the 2 desktop towers , and see if the hiss diminishes -

Thanks guys --

The 2 PC towers example was more about how loud the hissing is even with existing background noise. For my testing I have unplugged all PC's before going around the house with the active speaker to test.

The seller did not reply to my initial inquiry after several days though (homeavdirect.co.uk) and at this point I've just requested a refund.

I'll look to get another pair or perhaps even go for an 'upgrade' to this model.

8 minutes ago, owlee said:

Thanks guys --

The 2 PC towers example was more about how loud the hissing is even with existing background noise. For my testing I have unplugged all PC's before going around the house with the active speaker to test.

The seller did not reply to my initial inquiry after several days though (homeavdirect.co.uk) and at this point I've just requested a refund.

I'll look to get another pair or perhaps even go for an 'upgrade' to this model.

my Best advice as we speak , the FIVES ------Here is a review by our own Kahuna @Youthman

Well that did send me into an hours long session reviewing and comparing these together with the sixes and the R-51PM.

@RandyH000 Do you own these personally? How does the near-field static/hissing compare?  I have seen that being mentioned by a reviewer online as well although he was saying that its audible to his sensitive ear in complete silence so that sounds acceptable to me.

I'll take a look at richersounds returns policy and maybe try them out for a couple of days next week :)

I was also looking at the sixes but can't really find any good comparisons -- are the fives essentially just the 'new version' of the sixes to some extent?

Edited by owlee

8 minutes ago, owlee said:

are the fives essentially just the 'new version' of the sixes to some extent?

NOPE  ------------------ the Sixes have a 6.5 inch woofer while the Fives are only 4,5  -----

https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/product-specsheets/The-Sixes-Spec-Sheet-v02.pdf?mtime=20200909140800&focal=none

https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/product-specsheets/The-Fives-Spec-Sheet-v05-1.pdf?mtime=20200423082630&focal=none

Ah I meant more in the sense of a 'spiritual successor' as it is the next iteration of premium active speakers from klipsch.

I'm finding it hart to pick between the fives & the sixes as they cost about the same (~830 gbp which is quite a lot)

I'm somewhat tempted to take a look at possible amps for a pair of RP-600M -- it seems they'd fall <somewhere> around that budget and either way I'm keeping the subwoofer.

On 1/17/2021 at 8:49 PM, owlee said:

~830 gbp which is quite a lot)

Sorry , I missed your reply on Sunday Night -

I was watching the EBAY.UK web site   , there is 1 pair  of used Klipsch RF-62 II   speakers at a great price  -300gbp -from Sittingbourne

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Klipsch-floor-standing-speakers/133639474378?hash=item1f1d888cca:g:NV0AAOSwmLpgAvFx

OR

a pair of practically new R-620F  with a best offer at   499gbp  -from Exeter  -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Klipsch-R-620F-Floorstanding-Speakers/324453392610?hash=item4b8aede0e2:g:3swAAOSwB65fzMGp

Cheers Mate -