AX vs CX Cambridge Audio series

SoundsGreat?

Trying to improve my audio memory is ongoing. I'll remember the reasons why I liked this over that, but if you introduce a new piece of gear I've never heard it's hard for me to compare it to my memory of past gear. Memory gets clouded by preference and bias.

Best way is to have both pieces at the same time for a shootout. Does Cambridge Audio have a 30 day return on new items? If so, order both and return one.

I can't offer an opinion as to comparisons but I can tell you that my little AXA25 sounds great with my Heresy 1s. I think it was money well spent and I didn't have to spend much. Very detailed yet smooth sounding and more than enough power for efficient speakers. I prefer tubes but still find the axa25 enjoyable.  

1 minute ago, wetowne said:

I can't offer an opinion as to comparisons but I can tell you that my little AXA25 sounds great with my Heresy 1s. I think it was money well spent and I didn't have to spend much. Very detailed yet smooth sounding and more than enough power for efficient speakers. I prefer tubes but still find the axa25 enjoyable.  

Thanks!  Appreciate it.  My only concerns have really been the "brightness" people describe with Cambridge Audio, as my rooms are pretty bad with windows and wall asymmetry.

I have Forte IIs that should be easy to drive, but I also have Infinity R263 in a different room, and I think I need enough power to be able to drive those in the future in case I make any AV changes.  That's why I'm leaning toward more than the 25.

56 minutes ago, Rivernuggets said:

@willland

I'm 95% sure Bill will know.

Thanks for the vote of confidence but I do not know.  My experience with Cambridge Audio includes integrated amps the 540A, 640A v2, CD player 640C, 840C, and universal player 751BD.

What I can say is they were all mostly trouble free and sounded great with my Klipsch speakers.

With all that said, I would shoot for either the CXA60 or the CXA80 with your Forte IIs.  If either of these previous generation integrated amps are still available NOS and priced right, then consider one.

51 minutes ago, SoundsGreat? said:

Thanks, Rivernuggets.  I'm actually contemplating buying the CXA60 in the garage sale area.  I had been planning on the cheaper AXR85 line, but the used CXA60 isn't that much more.

A very good idea.  A couple of very nice features both of these possess are stereo pre-outs and a subwoofer pre-out.

Bill

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SoundsGreat? said:

My only concerns have really been the "brightness" people describe with Cambridge Audio, as my rooms are pretty bad with windows and wall asymmetry.

I've read a lot on this forum about room treatments and acoustic paneling. Many have posted here how it was one of the best improvements to their system. I look forward to doing it some day. It takes some experimenting which I haven't set aside time to do yet.

Specs on it are OK CXA60

Integral DAC, would expect better SN

Maybe everyone measures a little differently

If the price is right, drive it for six months

and if you don't like it, sell it

I've picked up 5 AVRs that are great performers for around $60 total

The reality is that 15 year old AVRs have little resale value, no matter how good they sound. I would check CL and local resale shops too

Even a Little basic 1995 SONY D565 I picked up is in the ball park spec wise $14

Even has a great tuner section. Phono input, no DAC

Basic tone controls and bass boost button

I did pay $20 for a stock remote, Sony has their own multi unit remotes too new. I bought it for my daughter who I'm trying to ween off of earbuds, using it in my basement for now.

I blow them out with a compressor, check the solder joints and caps for leaks, and spray cleaner into the dials and buttons, miracles frequently occur

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sony/str-d565.shtml

CXA60

Detailed Specifications
Power output
60W RMS into 8 Ohms
90W RMS into 4 Ohms
DAC Wolfson WM8740
Frequency Response <5Hz – 60kHz +/-1dB
THD (unweighted)
<0.002% 1kHz at 80% of rated power
<0.02% 20Hz – 20kHz at 80% of rated power
Max power consumption 600W
Standby power consumption <0.5W
Analogue audio inputs 4 x RCA, 1 x 3.5mm MP3 input (front panel)
Digital audio inputs 1 x S/PDIF coaxial, 2 x TOSLINK optical, Bluetooth via BT100 (not supplied)
Compatibility
TOSLINK optical: 16-24 bit, 32-192kHz (using high quality TOSLINK optical cable)
S/PDIF coaxial: Linear PCM 16-24 bit, 32-192kHz
BT100 Bluetooth receiver: A2DP plus aptX
Outputs Speakers A+B, 3.5mm Headphone, Preamp Output, Subwoofer Output
Headphone output
THD: 0.002% (1kHz signal, 1V input, volume set to 1V HP output, 80kHz bandwidth,
into 32Ohm load)
S/N: dependent on volume pot position. Typically better than 95dBr
Frequency response @ +/- 1dB: <10Hz to >90kHz
Dimensions (H x W x D) 115 x 430 x 341mm (4.5 x 16.9 x 13.4”)
Weight 8.3kg (18.3lbs)

https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/202201712/CXA60_Technical_Specifications.pdf

1 hour ago, SoundsGreat? said:

My only concerns have really been the "brightness" people describe with Cambridge Audio

Don't mistake "brightness" with analytical and neutral.  My experience with CA has been spot on neutral sound signature in just about every room I have demoed them in.  My family room is the largest and it can be a bit "bright" with 500 sq ft of ceramic tile, 10 to 12ft ceilings, and many hard surfaces, but has been noticeably tamed with thick long drapes, area rugs, and fluffy pillows.  On the other hand, in my master bedroom where my CA rig resides, no brightness at all with a nice neutral to warmish presentation.

Bill

• Like 2