Good Laugh for Klipsch Fans

ClaudeJ1

Lets not forget, its not about the expense of a piece of audio gear, it's about how much was spent, once it is resold.  I know I've told this story before. My first big speaker purchase was for a used pair of Audio Physic speakers that retailed for $3600 bucks that I was able to buy on Audiogon for $1500, which seemed like a lot at the time. it appeared I made him an offer he couldn't refuse, as he was asking $1800.  I  kept them for about 3 years and resold them on the same site for $1450.00. A $50 dollar pair of speakers.  👍 I would look for the same type of deal if they cost 50 grand. 

That was about 17 years ago and the last pair of speakers I've sold.  Haven't found a reason yet to replace my Epic CF3's,  bought on Audiogon as well, for a bit less.

4 minutes ago, Fido said:

Also - My Dual 1229 with its Shure V15 Type 3 and my Tecnics 1200 MKii with its Denon dl-110 sound pretty darned good but like everything there obviously can be many things that sound better for more $$$$$$$$$$$$

excellent gear  , but you gotta be very ---------very careful with the Stylus of a Shure V15 Type 3  , ask me , how I know --

I already learned the hard way - That is why I had to spend the $$$ on an SAS stylus that ran about $200 Still love the bass slam of that old Dual idler Drive.it was a few $$$ less then $130,000 but I also paid less for my house than $130,000 - I think only really rich guys like Claude has the kind of money to run turntables that run in the 6 figures.lol

18 hours ago, Fido said:

I already learned the hard way - That is why I had to spend the $$$ on an SAS stylus that ran about $200 Still love the bass slam of that old Dual idler Drive.it was a few $$$ less then $130,000 but I also paid less for my house than $130,000 - I think only really rich guys like Claude has the kind of money to run turntables that run in the 6 figures.lol

I you believe your last sentence, I have some Oceanfront property in Montana to sell you! On another note, since I didn't need Image Stabilization in my 300 mm f/2.8 Canon lens (IBIS in my Sonys) I was able to get a mint used one from Japan wihout IS, which saved me $4,500. Any sharpness difference (doubtful)can be tweaked in with Photoshop! So thanks for the inspiration with your images.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I you believe your last sentence, I have some Oceanfront property in Montana to sell you!

You too, huh? I already own all the beachfront property n Kansas. Shrewd businessmen we are—?!
— And spending on “hobbies” can be very relative to what you have to spend. I recently read that to fuel The Dilbar, one of the worlds most expensive yachts, costs around 3/4 of a million $$. It’s all relative —  (I keep Dilbar docked at my  beach harbor in Wichita) 

15 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I you believe your last sentence, I have some Oceanfront property in Montana to sell you!

I expected a similar response from you  haha Didn’t I see that ad you posted on US Audiomart for the nuclear fusion powered rca interconnects you were printing with your 3D printer for under $22,000? Btw that was a killer deal at that discounted price. 

3 minutes ago, Fido said:

I expected a similar response from you  haha didn’t I see that add you posted on US Audiomart for the nuclear fusion powered rca interconnects you were printing with your 3D printer for under $22,000. Btw that was a killer deal at that discounted price. 

You bet. BTW, in my vinyl days (still have 1000 LPs that need digital conversion), my favorite cartridge on a Thorens TT was the Shure V15-II, my brutha from a different mutha!

22 hours ago, Shiva said:

My first big speaker purchase was for a used pair of Audio Physic speakers .....

The german Audio Physic's factory is only about a 1 hour drive from me. I do not like these lifestyle speakers. These are highly engineered sound sculptures without charm and emotion.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

The german Audio Physic's factory is only about a 1 hour drive from me. I do not like these lifestyle speakers. These are highly engineered sound sculptures without charm and emotion.

I find that most "high end" speakers are designed more as "pretty" rather than good sound. My favorite unaffordable speaker, which also won best sound at AXPONA 2015 (14?) was the Sadurni Horn Array. Never had a speaker bring tears to my eyes before in emotional engagement until this one at $40,000 a pair. Imaging, dynamic, etc. for an all horn system, STRAIGHT AXIS (tractrix except for subs).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

Hey,  those be fightin words.   I loved those speakers.😀 Audio Physic Tempo 3's.   They were the first pair of speakers that completely disappeared into the sound field, first heard at a dealer and had to get them, though not from him.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Just now, Shiva said:

Hey,  those be fightin words.   I loved those speakers.😀 Audio Physic Tempo 3's.   They were the first pair of speakers that completely disappeared into the sound field, first heard at a dealer and had to get them, though not from him.

giphy.gif

You are displaying only emotion without charm. The Sadurnis had both.

9 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Sadurni Horn Array. Never had a speaker bring tears to my eyes before in emotional engagement until this one at $40,000 a pair. Imaging, dynamic, etc. for an all horn system

I can imagine that ,beautiful ......Yes these are spherical horn systems like the german ....https://www.avantgarde-acoustic.de/en/hornloudspeaker.html or the german https://www.acapella.de/?lang=en if I´m not wrong. Friend of mine owns the " Triangle Horn System " from Avantgarde ...I tell you...I would not want to swap......even If I do own those little self modified and re-designed RF7 MK II SE only. 

14 minutes ago, Shiva said:

I know those Models, they were built in the 1990´s . My HiFi Dealer demonstrated them in his showroom to me. Yes they were good in your mentioned aspects. But at that time I had very expensive speakers with components from Dynaudio from Denmark , also self-built, the material alone cost 8.000 DM at the time.

A true story from just a few days ago...I found something I wanted on U S Audiomart, a rare piece. It was $1500. There was one on fleabay for the same price. I decided to check the sister page, Canuk Audio Mart. There was one of the same item, for $950. I messaged the seller and asked if he could ship to the US.He said yes, but with double boxing and duties and such, it would be another $200. I figured I was still ahead at $1150 total, so I agreed to buy it. The seller said wait until you see the exchange rate on the currency. My $1150 payment through paypal cost me $946! I love our friends to the North!

I said all that to say this-those sites are great for finding rare or obsolete items, and sometimes bargains.

BTW, I've been to Claude's house. I had to park my own car.

• Like 2