1987 Cornwalls sounding a bit thin.

BanjoBill

I am using a pair of 1987 oiled oak Cornwalls and they are sounding a bit thin. All of the drivers seem to be working correctly, the speakers themselves are mint as can be in terms of being cared for. Any suggestions. Should I replace the tweeter diaphragms or other actions like updating the crossovers? They don’t sound bad, they just don’t have a very full sound which I know they are very capable of.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BanjoBill said:

I am using a pair of 1987 oiled oak Cornwalls and they are sounding a bit thin.

Let's start by reading the DCR  of the woofer , midrange and tweeter , with an OhmMeter  --

-select  Ohms -

woofers are 4Ohms , midrange 16Ohms , tweeters 8Ohms ------Please -post the results -

what kind of amplifier are you using ?  power specs ?  -

So, the amp is a Muzishare X7 with Genelex KT88's and 12AU7 phase splitters and vintage telefunken 12AX7 preamp tube. It makes 25W in Triode mode 45W in ultra linear. I have generally used it in triode mode, but have used both. I kinda prefer the sound of the triode mode. I will check the impedance of the speakers when I have a chance. They are in a room with a concrete floor that is quite large. The room itself may play into it.. I have a pair of Linn Majik 140's with a Naim NAP-250 amp that are upstairs in a room with plaster walls and wood floors and they seem to have deeper bass and better bass control, which is to me surprising as they are a much smaller speaker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BanjoBill said:

They are in a room with a concrete floor that is quite large. The room itself may play into it.. I have a pair of Linn Majik 140's with a Naim NAP-250 amp that are upstairs in a room with plaster walls and wood floors and they seem to have deeper bass and better bass control, which is to me surprising as they are a much smaller speaker.

No surprise there.  The room is playing a major factor in what you're (not) hearing and feeling.