Growing HT from 5.0 to 5.2.4

Kjock

Seeking advice on which speakers to buy to grow my HT from a 5.0 to a 5.2.4 configuration over the next year or so.  Currently using Klipsch RF-35s as Fronts, RC-35 as Center, and SS-5s as Side Surrounds driven by a Denon X3600H in a 16' x 24' room with an 8' ceiling.  The MLP is a couch against the back wall roughly 11' from the front speakers and the HT is used 50% for music and 50% for movies/tv.  Call me lazy but, I have no desire to install ceiling speakers, wife wants to keep the furniture where it is, and neither one of us want a system that shakes dust from the crevices.  However, the bug has hit and I want to add dolby enabled speakers and a couple subwoofers over time without spending an arm and a leg and/or getting on the wrong side off my better half.  Thanks in advance for any recommended model numbers, purchasing sequences, and or critique's of exiting equipment. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome billybob.  Been lurking here for years. Not a problem but, I wanted .to let you know, I've twice  tried to provide plan updates to get a community response by replying to my original post but my replies have yet to show up.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kjock said:

Thanks for the welcome billybob.  Been lurking here for years. Not a problem but, I wanted .to let you know, I've twice  tried to provide plan updates to get a community response by replying to my original post but my replies have yet to show up.  

I will take a go at it then although others more suitable.

Thanks! @Kjock

Some questions then.

Sounds like your system is set along the long wall, 24 foot?

So, you use no subwoofer now?

You do realize there may well be vibrations using even a single smaller type that may be bothersome to you and wife, let alone 2?

1 minute ago, Kjock said:

Sorry but, except for that shown, my replies aren't posting after hitting the 'submit reply' button.  Maybe my replies are too long winded 😆

Should not time out on you but could be. Autosave feature should work. Try shorter reply and see.

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Some questions then.

Sounds like your system is set along the long wall, 24 foot?

Yes it is , the room is effectively divided into a 16' x 16' square and an 8' x 16' walk-thru

So, you use no subwoofer now

Never have had a SW, now or before

You do realize there may well be vibrations using even a single smaller type that may be bothersome to you and wife, let alone 2?

That's been our concern.  The RF-35s go down to 37 Hz which has been fine.  Don't know that getting a SW to get down to 20 Hz or what little is programmed for the .1 channel is worth it.  Vibration alone is not

• Like 1

Well, if satisfied with the bass you have now, from what you said earlier, can go low volume on sub and try to minimize but, to get the benefits for home theatre like impact of action scenes, sort of defeats subs purpose.

There will be vibration.

As for the Atmos part you are looking at doing, have you determined your Denon is capable of it?

Yep.  The AVR has HDMI 2.0b with all the modern audio codecs other than Auro 3D so the only future gaming video streams are not supported.  The AVR also has 11 speaker connections with 9 powered channels

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, billybob said:

The ceiling speakers are out then according to what was said earlier.

Have you given thoughts on alternative options?

Was thinking of grabbing a pair of RP-140SAs to set on top of RF-35s.  Looks like an inexpensive way ($250 new or $150 open box) to see if we notice a difference going from 5.0 to 5.0.2.  If so, if no there RP-140SAs can be found, then thinking of R-41SAs to set stop side surrounds for 5.0.4. With couch against wall, rears are out.

25 minutes ago, billybob said:

Well, if satisfied with the bass you have now, from what you said earlier, can go low volume on sub and try to minimize but, to get the benefits for home theatre like impact of action scenes, sort of defeats subs purpose.

There will be vibration.

We definitely get pant rattling bass as is.  If nothing more than enhanced pant rattling fills the 20-37 Hz range and what little is programmed by dolby for the .1 channel, we've got better things than a SW or two to spend the money on

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kjock said:

Was thinking of grabbing a pair of RP-140SAs to set on top of RF-35s.  Looks like an inexpensive way ($250 new or $150 open box) to see if we notice a difference going from 5.0 to 5.0.2.  If so, if no there RP-140SAs can be found, then thinking of R-41SAs to set stop side surrounds for 5.0.4. With couch against wall, rears are out.

I like that plan. Thinking you could power the sides using existing speaker wire on those surrounds to power them.

That not a reasonable option as running new speaker wire connected to AVR is best.

Is your speaker wire to side surround in the attic/wall or basement?

Like the idea of the front 2 Atmos to reflect off of 8 foot ceiling.

Would look at the top of your RF-35 tops size and compare with the Atmos size to see how well it would fit.

Speaker wire runs along baseboards so no problem adding a couple more wires for the sides.  The RP-140s would fit on top of the RF-35s.  Neither RP-140s nor R-41s will fit on top of the SS-5s so I'll probably hang them as 'heights'.  

I read somewhere that matching timbre is not necessary for reflected sound so, not knowing better, I'm not concerned about mixing the older RFs, the somewhat older RPs, or the newer Rd.  Should I be?

1 minute ago, Kjock said:

Speaker wire runs along baseboards so no problem adding a couple more wires for the sides.  The RP-140s would fit on top of the RF-35s.  Neither RP-140s nor R-41s will fit on top of the SS-5s so I'll probably hang them as 'heights'.  

I read somewhere that matching timbre is not necessary for reflected sound so, not knowing better, I'm not concerned about mixing the older RFs, the somewhat older RPs, or the newer Rd.  Should I be?

You may be good enough with the fronts.

In this case you can certainly use a new dedicated wire to each rear from AVR. Not sure how much more you would gain from the side Atmos but certainly doable if you want to try.

In this setup do not think timbre a concern.

10 hours ago, billybob said:

Please let us know your results

@Kjock

Thanks!

Will do.  Missed the Klipsch open-box 140SAs but maybe for the best.  Folks at ASR and AVS, not necessarily Klipsch fans, suggest either the SVS or the RP-500SA is the way to go since they have a crossover switch to accomodate either enabled or height installations.  Now, just got to find a deal.  More later

• Like 1