Which Klipsch is which?

pbm60

I would like to get a set of K speakers for my music/listening room. It's a small 12x12 room. I have a Marantz 2220 specs are:

Power output: 20 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 10Hz to 50kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.9%

Damping factor: 45

Input sensitivity: 1.8mV (MM), 180mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 77dB (line)

Channel separation: 35dB (line)

Speaker load impedance: 4Ω to 16Ω

Could you please give your recommendations.I listen to everything a lower volumes usually.  I prefer floor standing and no subwoofer. New or used and around $1000  Thank you

Welcome. That's a good budget for a pair of speakers. Are you located in the states? Your location will dictate your choices. You can go used or new. Klipsch has a lot of choices for speakers. Look around the classified section on here to get an idea what's available... or at Klipsch.com to look at new speakers.

Even your type of music can sound better on one type of speaker vs another.

14 hours ago, pbm60 said:

I would like to get a set of K speakers for my music/listening room. It's a small 12x12 room. I have a Marantz 2220 specs are:

Power output: 20 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

I would try to find a Heresy 1  ------used of course ,    the speakers will be around 500$ in decent condition -or for newer speakers from klipsch - the SIXES , however , they have a built in amplifier -

You don't mention whether you prefer new or used.

Your room size will be the deciding factor on how large a speaker is reasonable in your 12 x 12' room.

Used Heresy's will fit the bill if you must have Heritage Series speakers. For new, the smallest Reference Premier series (RP-5000F) would meet your needs.

3 hours ago, henry4841 said:

I see those at 800 each. Klipsch had a huge sale but ended a few weeks ago. I have a feeling he doesn't live in the states.

with a $1000 budget there are many options new & used... but i would not suggest heresy, they are good speakers but lack any low bass & you will likely want/need a sub if you like to have good strong bass.  & for the money, older used models will "usually" get you better sound than new models.  for under $1000 you can get a nice set of quartet, forte/forte2 or even chorus2.  but there are lots of other older floor standing speakers like the KG or KLF models, the smaller KG 4.5 or KLF10 will have more than enough sound for about half the price of your budget.  lots of options out there, all depends on what you like & what you want to spend.   

• Like 1

Speaker selection is so subjective and everyone's tastes seem to vary to a certain degree.  If you live near a major metropolitan area, perhaps you could post asking to listen to other's systems.  That might give you some insight into which Klipsch model is for you without having to purchase.  Good Luck with your search!  

I would look at Forte.  Any Klipsch would work, but the larger ones will take up too much floor space in your smallish room. 

Since the room is square, you can expect room resonances to be prominent.  Try putting your electronics in a corner and the speakers along each wall a few feet out of the corner. 

• Like 1

Depending on your budget, you might want to get a new receiver, too.  A modern receiver, even an inexpensive model, will have much better specs than your old Marantz.  This will mean more power (at least double) and more clarity, too.  No matter which speakers you choose, they will be limited to reproducing the signal that’s fed to them.  The better the signal, the better they’ll sound.

For example, a Marantz NR1200 2-channel receiver puts out 75 watts per channel, at just 0.08% Total Harmonic Distortion. And costs $599USD.  If you can find one on sale, it would be an even better deal.  And there are other brands, like Yamaha or Sony, that also sound great and cost much less.

If you think you might want to upgrade to 5-channel surround sound in the future, for movies, concerts, or just everyday TV listening, you can get a 5..2 channel Marantz NR1510 for the same price, $599USD.  It puts out 50 watts per channel, with the same low 0.08% THD figure, and both receivers have built-in Phono preamps, if you like to spin vinyl sometimes.  You could get that one and listen to it in 2-channel stereo, until whenever you get three more speakers, while it sounds as good as the 2-channel model in the meantime.

Also, both models can drive 2 subwoofers.  And as with the NR1200, you can find 5-channel models by reputable manufacturers like Yamaha or Sony for quite a bit less.

Do some research and see what’s presently available in your area.  You may be pleasantly surprised.

Welcome to the Forum!