The Fives — separate phono preamp?

scdfndr

4 minutes ago, scdfndr said:

Does that mean it won’t work? I’ve found the Mani. Thanks. If possible I’d like to add headphone capability. Can I do that with a preamp?

The people at Schiit answered my question. The hybrid won’t do what I need it to do. It’s not a phono preamp. 

• Like 1

Well I'm an old guy but I asked another "older" guy who's done sound his entire life.   He said have at it so I did.  https://www.schiit.com/products/mani  is what I'm running for my phono-pre.

Now I'm tossing this out there from MY experience and not selling their product.  I think since there are two of us who don't know what we're doing you'll be pleased.  Couple other guys in here run the Mani also and are happy with the results.  I'm not an electrical engineer by any means but to me it does everything it's supposed to.  I run strictly vinyl mainly cause I'd be totally lost w/a home theater system.  hahaha  You might want to check out the A/B test on youtube but remember it's youtube.  MC/MM is easy to adjust w/the dipstick's on the bottom or hit me here and I'll send ya pics of where mine is set.  Several others have their other gear and seem happy so there ya go.  AGAIN my endorsement is squat!  hahaha  Works great for me though.  Your call and I drink Heineken when I drink!  😂

Just got caught up w/the last three posts.  Didn't someone mention the Klipsch have a headphone plug?  I know nothing about the Fives and what they have/don't have.

Yup they don't give a Schiit but they'll give you the straight scoop.

58 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

Well ya learn something every day in here I guess!  You have yours updated?

strictly  basic updates- a refresh ,  improvements were relatively minor  but overall more reliable -

• Like 1

Thought about this ?

Note: If you are getting extremely quiet audio, or extremely loud and distorted audio, you may need to move the Phono/Line switch. If using a phono preamp that is built into the turntable, you will need to have the switch set to Phono. If you are using the phono preamp that is built into The Fives, you will need to set the switch to Line. As an added security feature, you will need to remove the RCA cables from the input jacks on The Fives before moving the Phono/Line switch. The setting will not change unless the RCA cables are unplugged and then plugged back in.

My comment has been taken care of, since you have two threads going at the same time. Have only just seen that. Sorry

Edited by MicroMara
add info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MicroMara said:

Thought about this ?

Note: If you are getting extremely quiet audio, or extremely loud and distorted audio, you may need to move the Phono/Line switch. If using a phono preamp that is built into the turntable, you will need to have the switch set to Phono. If you are using the phono preamp that is built into The Fives, you will need to set the switch to Line. As an added security feature, you will need to remove the RCA cables from the input jacks on The Fives before moving the Phono/Line switch. The setting will not change unless the RCA cables are unplugged and then plugged back in.

My comment has been taken care of, since you have two threads going at the same time. Have only just seen that. Sorry

No problem, but perhaps it is worth pointing out that either I have it set up incorrectly, or the Klipsch website is wrong. I have plenty of volume. But the switch is on phono while I’m using the fives internal preamp. If I switch it to line, I get no sound. Now, I haven’t tried what is suggested above. I did not unplug the input jacks from the speakers before switching from phono to line. I’ll try that. But the conclusion others reached was the website was wrong because the industry standard is that “line” is used for external components. I think I’ve got that right. Thanks for chiming in.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

Let´s have a look at page No.3 , scroll down and check some of these phono-pres. Did you match the capacitance of the phono cable with the capacitance of the moving magnet cartridge ?

I did not. I have to admit, I have no idea what that means. But I’m not averse to learning. Does it matter that the cable I use to connect the TT to the speaker (phono cable?) came with the TT and the cartridge ? 

14 minutes ago, scdfndr said:

I did not. I have to admit, I have no idea what that means. But I’m not averse to learning. Does it matter that the cable I use to connect the TT to the speaker (phono cable?) came with the TT and the cartridge ? 

MM Cartridge / MI Cartridge

In an MM system we do not need to worry about the terminating resistor. MM inputs are always terminated with 47 KOhm. There is nothing for you to do. A MM system can react sensitively to a completely wrong capacitance value of the connected cable. Here the complete cabling counts - starting with the small plugs at the pickup to the RCA plugs and everything in between anyway. The sum of all capacities is decisive .A value of 150pF is considered optimal and at the same time maximum. Real tonearm cables therefore usually have very low capacitance values.

As long as the overall result remains below 150pF, you will find that everything is fine in terms of sound. If you want, you can adjust this value exactly, but you should not expect too much from it. However, if you are running an MM system and you have the impression that it runs far away from its sonic capabilities, you should have the cable measured or have a look at the technical data. Maybe the capacity of the cable is too high after all and maybe this is the reason for a not so great sound.

20 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

Is it the Ortofon 2M Red that you´re using ? And the phonocable was delivered together with you TT and the cartrige ? 

Yes as to both. The cable came with the TT and the TT came with the cartridge installed. The only cable that came with the speakers is the one that connects the two speakers.

Just now, scdfndr said:

Yes as to both. The cable came with the TT and the TT came with the cartridge installed. The only cable that came with the speakers is the one that connects the two speakers.

Then the cable capacity can´t solve your problem. It fitts to the cartridge requirements. You´ll know that a MM Pick up needs a so called " Play In Time " before it sounds on it´s best performance. This take up to 30 to 50 hours of operation, so you´ll need to spin a lot of records. And a analog source like a TT hasn´t the same range of dynamics like a digital source, so you´ll need to pump up the volume .

16 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

... I don´t have any idea about the built in phono-preamp quality of the Fives, may an external phono-pre results a much better audible quality. 

I spent today with the stereo on, sometimes paying close attention. They really do sound pretty good.Just not great. And they and the cartridge are new. Perhaps they’re still in the break in period. That’s a thing, right?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, scdfndr said:

I spent today with the stereo on, sometimes paying close attention. They really do sound pretty good.Just not great. And they and the cartridge are new. Perhaps they’re still in the break in period. That’s a thing, right?

Yes I think you expected too much from the beginning, continue spinning records and listen how the dynamic range and sound image will become better. If you got the same problem after a couple of weeks than you shall consider to have a look at a better phono pre amplifier . Enjoy your listening journey .....There is no reason to complain your TT or the 2M Red cartridge, both are fine for beginners.

• Like 2

On 1/19/2021 at 6:37 AM, Darkscience said:

I have the Mani and it sounds as good as anything else I have ever tried. (Mostly vintage recievers and a brooklyn bridge).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I too have a Mani, only recently replaced in the system by a Bottlehead Reduction + Integration at four times the cost + labor hours to build, running into an Elekit TU-8200 (tubes).  I really liked the Mani for what is was and considered it "endgame" but as usual I got a case of upgraditus.  For the OP - I have it on the shelf if you're interested in purchasing used.  I ran the Ortofon 2M Red off a U-Turn Orbit for about 18 months and it paired well before I switched to the Nagaoka MP-110.

Edited by BadChile
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, parlophone1 said:

I would not like to introduce even more confusion, but are you sure the cartridge is properly installed on the turntable?

If I remember correctly, there were customers complaints regarding preinstalled cartridges to their new turntables.

That is a concern I had but should have expressed more, at least about the needle/cartridge part.

Did not know about the complaints.

• Like 1