Hey... EE's.... (or other electronically intelligent being)

Coytee

Here's a question for you:

Background:  I bought an International 1066 tractor.  When I bought it, the prior owner bolted two "steps" to the side of the machine and placed a single 12 volt battery on each step so the tractor is using two 12" batteries in parallel.  (think auto battery)

The tractor has a location on it for two six volt batteries that are LONG and SLENDER and tuck right into the side of the machine.  The 12 volts are sticking out and in the way.

I replaced the two 12's in parallel with two sixes in series.  If I go a couple months without using, it seems their charge dulls down....  I might replace them which sparked an idea in the back of my head.

I still have a "step" on the right side of the machine.

Would it work to buy two more six volt batteries, wire them in series as I currently have....  THEN, buy a single 12 volt (auto style) and set it on my step but, wire this one in parallel so I have some extra juice to spin the motor.

I'm sitting here thinking this has to work....I don't see any issues but there's more than one reason why my wife calls me a dumbazz….  (shrugs shoulders...)

Wiring would be, replace current two in series.  Take the piggy back 12 volt battery, take the positive of it to the positive of one of the six volt batteries and take the negative of it to the grounding point (where the others truncate) 

Would this work or am I going to fry my ammeter into smithereens?

I am not the expert........

if I did this I would use the same “Group” size batteries, either two parallel 12volt batteries or two pair of 6volt batteries with each pair wired in series and then wire the two 6volt pairs in parallel.

My thinking on this is when charging the batteries there will be equal distribution and charge levels and equal load when starting. I used to work on 1980s electric cars, kind of like a golf cart but more batteries and enclosed.

On the other hand you could get a battery tender to keep the battery charged, I use one on my drag car since I don’t drive it much. They are made with solar panels as well.

This is something that you are not "supposed" to do, but people get away with it.

In general you should not run batteries in parallel. The idea is that the weaker of the two (the one at the lower voltage, even slightly lower) will discharge the stronger of the two (the one at the higher voltage, even slightly higher). Basically, the stronger battery will constantly try to charge the weaker battery.

That's the theory. In practice, as long as both batteries are identical, people do get away with it.

In your case, the battery packs will not be identical. There are all kinds of potential imbalances in charging rate, discharge rate, voltage level, etc. It probably won't be catastrophic, but it may not be nearly as simple as using a single battery, or even as using two identical batteries.

• Like 1

I was viewing it sort of like jump starting the machine.....  with the car (in my case) running you can tell it perks things up....so I thought hey, maybe if I added another 12V....  

Truth be told, my main issues are currently because it's cold outside.  During summer months, it's worked fine.  It however, never spins the engine as nicely as my backhoe does.  That thing seems to start in what sounds like a 1/4 turn of the crank.  With a good charge, it starts "right now" whereas the tractor takes a couple revolutions.

Not a big deal...just an annoyance.

• Like 1

Ram Cummins diesels have bern running dual 12v batteries for years.  The only item of note is that you replace them in pairs.  As far as your tractor goes, you just need to find out the required CCA that the manufacturer specified and be sure you have at least that.  When not in use keep a battery tender on it.  Dont overthink this.  Oh wait, I forgot who I was talking to. Lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1