Yamaha Aventage with Klipsch RSA-500

Joey Molina

I recently installed a home theatre system all klipsch reference series in wall and in ceiling along with a reference series center speaker and in wall subwoofer and RSA-500 amplifier. For the life of me I can’t get the sub to work. I had an older onkyo receiver that I couldn’t get to work so I bought a brand new Yamaha aventage rx-a1080, hooked up all the wires and tried again and nothing out of the sub. All the other speakers work great and I’ve tested the sub using the wiring in the center channel and noise came out but I can’t get anything going through the amp. 

11 minutes ago, billybob said:

Also, use the input on the left of RSA when facing the rear.With one sub hooked to the amp. you have 300 watt output.

Another is try a 5.1, or some CD disc with decent bass.

Is that an RSW-5802 inwall?

Also set the frequency to 100+ just to test.

The sub is the rsw-5802 in-wall. I’ve tried all the inputs on the back of the RSA with the rca connectors. I use the banana connectors for the speaker in the speaker out. I’m using the test tone function in the receiver to see if sound comes out and I’m not getting anything. 

• Like 1

If your Aventage 1080 has two sub outputs, check in the menu to confirm whether you have the correct sub enabled.  When I got my Aventage 2060 a few years ago, I couldn't get the sub to work, so I called Yamaha Music Canada for help.  I had the Rear/#2 sub enabled when it should have been Front/#1.  Also, there's a setting marked Extra Bass.  That has to be On for your sub amp to see a signal.  

If these suggestions don't work, why not call Yamaha's service/customer support department?  They know their equipment best and can do the best job of helping you get set up properly.

• Like 1

Run the auto  setup (it should output test tones to all the speakers one by one ).

If you are not sure that your sub is working, ..maybe jig up your phone / music player headphone output to the sub in (typically miniplug to RCA and output some test tones)

If your sub is working but can't get your receiver to detect it, call yamaha.

28 minutes ago, Joey Molina said:

Thanks for all input and help. I tried an identical amp and hooked it up straight forward and it worked great. Turns out it was a bad amp all along! I’m in process of getting it exchanged for another. 

Glad you got it figured out!  Things like that can be very frustrating. 

• Like 1