Help with mounting a 396 center

USNRET

5 hours ago, Coytee said:

Ouch

Shocked I am.
Dealer in the DFW area that I ordered from and then informed me about the pair only called and advised me to cancel the web order and then call in the order. Result was a significant discount on the pair. Nice!  Mull that sentence over.

7 hours ago, USNRET said:

Call from bracket folks telling me that they are only available in pairs so if anyone else decides to use a 396 horizontally I will have a spare. $400 + for the pair.

128$  each  /sold in pairs --Total --256$ ---

https://www.americanbroadcastingent.com/product-category/speaker-mounts-rigging-hardware/page/2/?orderby=price-desc

https://www.americanbroadcastingent.com/product/allen-products-aj-2336-bt-large-adjustable-u-bracket-black/

18 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Shocked I am.
Dealer in the DFW area that I ordered from and then informed me about the pair only called and advised me to cancel the web order and then call in the order. Result was a significant discount on the pair. Nice!  Mull that sentence over.

I hope for you the Jub's and new center are your end game. Have enjoyed you're journey since the custom veneered Belle's, K-Horns and Cornwalls

Best of luck to you...

So the bracket finally arrived. The instructions have me drill a hole in the 396 cabinet and use a supplied lag screw to set the final angle. The speaker will pivot from the bolt at the center of the top and bottom (will be left and right sides) of speaker and then locked in place with said lag screw. I am a bit nervous about that. 

mount.jpg

I would be a bit nervous about that as well. How about the KISS method,  'Keep it simple"  A nice "Lak" from Ikea, for instance. 😀 Or something similar and better.  No mounting or drilling,  

Place it,  aim it , forget about it. Plus you can stash something below it too.  $16 bucks, 

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/lack-tv-unit-black-90243297/

Still trying to envision it....  could the mounting bolts to the speaker be snugged enough that friction alone would hold it?  Could you put some type of felt washer in those bolts to increase the friction?

I mean.....it's not like you're ever going to vibrate things and turn it up loud.....  is it?  :ph34r:

The mount which Chief Bonehead told me to use has a large rubber washer sandwiched between the speaker and bracket. It may or may not hold well enough. I am aligning the center of the factory modified 396 to the HF / LF centerline (approve by CBH) of the Jubs.

Yes the TV is too high but need that to clear 396 and equipment rack. Two SVS PB4000s have to go there as well.

HT seating will be on risers to help as well. TV tilts down.
Go ahead, make comments on the wire management I was left with by previous homeowner. Have been awaiting arrival of TV, bracket and custom rack to set proper wiring wall plates.

tV setup.jpg

32 minutes ago, cincymat said:

I think, once finished, it will be spectacular. 

Best of luck,

cincy

Thank you much, it has been a trying experience with shipping delays. At some point in the future I might even get the seating, rugs, beds, wall art, chest, end table and sofas (in other words I ordered an entire house of furniture) that have been on order for a while and now the estimate is May. I did get word today that 9 of my motorized window shades will be installed Feb 4th. Pay up front and WAIT.

One thought I just had was to maybe use discrete cable(s) from wall to fly point(s) on the speaker to zero in the tilt angle.

I have requested a custom spaced 5 shelf rack in walnut from these guys
https://butcherblockacoustics.com/collections/rigidrack™-4-shelf-rack/products/rigidrack™-4-shelf-rack-1-thick-walnut-shelves-1-walnut-legs?variant=29468546072691

Upon further evaluation of wall stud placement and spacing I can only attach the bracket to two studs spaced at 16" in the approx middle of 34 1/2" long speaker; not good with that much torsion load. Now leaning towards installing a 2 x 6 walnut board to span at least three, perhaps 4, studs matching width of TV and using T Nuts on the back of the 2 x 6 to provide load distribution for the ~65 lb speaker. Profile the edges and mayhaps inlay the bracket in the support. The bracket has multiple slots to accommodate attachment to the 2 x 6.

Ideas?

• Klipsch Employees
3 hours ago, USNRET said:

So the bracket finally arrived. The instructions have me drill a hole in the 396 cabinet and use a supplied lag screw to set the final angle. The speaker will pivot from the bolt at the center of the top and bottom (will be left and right sides) of speaker and then locked in place with said lag screw. I am a bit nervous about that. 

mount.jpg

Eldon, Kevin and I our two ki362’s, same size cab and about the same weight, in Kevin’s living. It works just fine. 

15 hours ago, USNRET said:

Upon further evaluation of wall stud placement and spacing I can only attach the bracket to two studs spaced at 16" in the approx middle of 34 1/2" long speaker; not good with that much torsion load. Now leaning towards installing a 2 x 6 walnut board to span at least three, perhaps 4, studs matching width of TV and using T Nuts on the back of the 2 x 6 to provide load distribution for the ~65 lb speaker. Profile the edges and mayhaps inlay the bracket in the support. The bracket has multiple slots to accommodate attachment to the 2 x 6.

Ideas?

Two 2x4s will hold that speaker, with the correct bolts. Does the mount have just one hole for a single bolt for each stud? Make sure you hit the center of the stud, pre-drill and use a 3-4" lag bolt. 

6 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Two 2x4s will hold that speaker, with the correct bolts. Does the mount have just one hole for a single bolt for each stud? Make sure you hit the center of the stud, pre-drill and use a 3-4" lag bolt. 

It has two (upper and lower) bolts for each stud.

Just now, USNRET said:

It has two (upper and lower) bolts for each stud.

Two bolts in each stud will definitely distribute the weigh better, and you could use a slightly smaller lag bolt. You might check with Roy or Elden, since they have used that mount, but I think it would work fine. If you could hit two studs at 32" apart, that would work correct? You're just downsizing your mounting surface. If you were concerned about stability, even knowing the two stud mounts would hold the weight, you could use some drywall anchor bolts in another mounting hole.

How tall is the rear mounting plate? Are the two holes an inch or so apart?

Due to position of studs vs TV I can only catch two studs and the bracket will be 34 1/2" long to accommodate speaker. It will have a total of 4 bolts (2 vertical pair) with each pair spaced at 1 1/2" on center. 

19 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Eldon, Kevin and I our two ki362’s, same size cab and about the same weight, in Kevin’s living. It works just fine. 

Vertical or horizontal mounting? This one will be horizontal when you guys rotate the horn 90 degrees in the motorboard.