No sound from Forte II suddenly (any Houston suggestions?)

SoundsGreat?

Well, @rmlowz did a great job packing the CXA60 from the garage sale forum, and it sounded great until one of my Forte IIs went silent (all speakers in the Forte seemed silent).  The same Forte II had gone silent once before, about a month ago.  It seemed strange, and I disconnected and reconnected the speaker wire from the terminals.  It seemed to fix it at the time (a month ago), though I was surprised, since the wire hadn't seemed loose at first.

Tonight, I flipped the speaker channels to ensure it wasn't the amp, and sure enough, the same speaker remained silent.  New speaker cable, and still silent. 

I don't know speaker guts stuff.  But I carefully removed the rear radiator, and I don't think I see any fried or loose wires.  Of course, I could be wrong.  Does anyone have a great recommendation of someone in the Houston area? 

Well, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.  I bet there's a dangling connection/wire or something.  It's working now, and so I won't touch it again for now.

Come to think of it, the first time it went silent a month ago, I had just moved the speaker position slightly.  I bet I bumped something both then and when I moved the speaker tonight.

It is crucial to verify the Wiring connections , from the rear of the posts , and then the wires on the crossover that connect to the woofer-midrange-tweeter ---------the current risk could be  Electrical shorts that can damage speakers or the amplifier -----

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SoundsGreat? said:

I'm around the southwest corner of the 610 loop.  I had already been given one name buy the guy who sold them to me several months ago, and I need to find a time I can take it somewhere.

I'm guessing it's something simple like a loose connection.  But I don't know electronics.

If you can make it to Beaumont I can probably have you up and running in 10 minutes or so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is embarrassing, but I think (and hope) I did my testing wrong. I'm hopeful it might actually be a bad/old speaker cable (quite old).  I thought I had confirmed with a newer one before posting, but it's possible I could be mistaken, as another speaker had the same issue with this cable when I plugged in a temporary replacement.  @CECAA850, thank you.  If I need to head your way, I'll let you know.  Thanks for your offer.

7 minutes ago, SoundsGreat? said:

This is embarrassing, but I think (and hope) I did my testing wrong. I'm hopeful it might actually be a bad/old speaker cable (quite old).  I thought I had confirmed with a newer one before posting, but it's possible I could be mistaken, as another speaker had the same issue with this cable when I plugged in a temporary replacement.  @CECAA850, thank you.  If I need to head your way, I'll let you know.  Thanks for your offer.

It is a simple thing most of the time and better embarrassed then impoverished.

• Moderators

Panel head and Cecaa are good guys, if you can find the time to take them to Beaumont you will learn a tremendous amount about your speakers, sound, placement-how to get the most out of your system and what the possibilities are. Panel head the same way.

It's what we do here, all over the USA. Forum members have helped people in UK, Europe, Iran (yes Iran, a pair of La Scalas leftover from the 70s era), Russia, New Zealand, OZ, Mexico, Greece . . . and today, southern Spain.

Helping a Texan puts you at the top of the list.