GR Research Speaker Cable KIT

Last Lemming

I’ve red many posts on this forum, and it would appear that a large majority here don’t believe cables make a difference, and that lamp cord is just fine. I suppose it does get the music to the speakers, kinda the way one of those skinny spare tires gets a sports car down the road. This thinking baffles me, because I can tell the differences with almost any cables I swap on and out. In fact, these highly efficient speakers make differences between components, or cables even easier to tell the difference between. And trust me, I’m not one of these “I bought the latest thing so I need to justify my purchase” people. This is just me swapping out old cable or new one I have lying around and just noting differences generally. Sometimes small the differences are only just significant enough to hear, but sometimes they can be quite transformative. Regardless, I just like f’n with stuff so I tried these GR Research cables out, mostly because they look like Kimber Kable clones and I’ve had KK before and liked them, but didn’t want to pay $800 for the 14’ runs I needed. But this kit cut that cost in half, so I figured what the heck. I like DIY stuff it will be fun, and it was. 

Im not here to try and convince you cables make a difference. I figure if you can’t tell the difference it comes down to you’ve got bad hearing, you don’t know how to critically listen, or don’t care to, or your gear doesn’t have the resolution to appreciate any differences. I suppose you could just not give a sh#t either, regardless, if any of those are the case, then exit, this post ain’t for you sweetheart. 

So how do they sound, I’ll keep it simple, clean and clear with a balanced frequency as far as I can tell. Think of having the film of dust on glass washed away. What does this mean, it means I’m hearing more nuanced detail, more air, and more presence in the music, but full bodied and fleshed out. 

Worth the expense, and better than the more expensive cables that were attached before. 

for reference my system is

Balanced  Audio Technology VK-3ix tube pre

Audio Research V35 tube amp

Technics 1200GR turntable

Parasound JC3+ phono pre

Forte III speakers

13 minutes ago, Last Lemming said:

What does this mean, it means I’m hearing more nuanced detail, more air, and more presence in the music, but full bodied and fleshed out.

You sure you're not describing your favorite cabernet sauvignon?  🍷

😉

• Haha 1

I believe cables can make a difference too. But am really cheap.

The most expensive  Canare cable Is 1.00/ft.00. So the 14’ runs would be 28.00.

This stuff may be pretty good. Several manufacturers use these. If you buy speaker cable from Benchmark you get Canare cables. Also Magico uses it inside their speakers. The cheapest Magico speaker is more expensive than the latest Klipschorns. 

Panelhead,

You make good points. I always think that some of the most expensive equipment has regular ole PCB boards, 60/40 solder, and resistors and caps with lead wire that is no better than in you run of the mill receiver. 

That being said, those pieces usually sound waaaaaay better.