Can anyone recommend a subwoofer for a vintage 5.1 surround setup?

Baloo

Looking to add a subwoofer to my vintage Klipsch surround setup that I have pieced together over my last few months. Here is what I have.

Luxman R-115 reciever and F-114 surround sound amp.

Technics SH-AC500D Surround Sound decoder

Klipsch KG 4 front speakers.

Klipsch KV-1 Center Speaker

Klipsch KG .5 rear surround speakers.

Can anyone recommend a vintage Klipsch subwoofer that would tonally match my current setup? I was looking at a Klipsch SV-W online. Also, does my center speaker properly match my fronts? It overall sounds good but I always like hearing other opinions. Thank you.

A subwoofer doesn't need to match any tone of the speakers.  I'd look at something new/newer that can hit as low and as loud as you need it to.  SVS is among one of the favorites.  I've had a few, as well as an SVS clone I built with a Klipsch driver (still have this).

5 minutes ago, yamahaSHO said:

I'd look at something new/newer

I second the suggestion of looking for something newer.  Sub technology has come along way since the KG series came out.  Not that there weren't decent subs back then, but you can get a lot more bang for your buck with more modern designs.

What is your price range?  That will determine what people recommend to you. (Also, you might consider going with multiple subs... for example: two 12" subs rather than a single 15" as an option.)  Does it have to be brand new or are you open to buying slightly used?  I have found decent deals on gently used audio gear because the seller must have the latest and greatest.  However, with subwoofers you have to be careful and really determine why they are selling it.  Some of the time the sub they are selling was too small and they may have cranked the heck out of it for too long trying to get a ton of low end and determined they wanted more, so they sell it to buy a bigger one.

Also, are you handy at building something yourself or are you looking at something to just plug it in and go?  If you want some DIY advice let me know as I built a pair of 15" subs that I love.  I use a separate amplifier to drive them. (Not a plate amp)

8 hours ago, Iteachstem said:

I second the suggestion of looking for something newer.  Sub technology has come along way since the KG series came out.  Not that there weren't decent subs back then, but you can get a lot more bang for your buck with more modern designs.

What is your price range?  That will determine what people recommend to you. (Also, you might consider going with multiple subs... for example: two 12" subs rather than a single 15" as an option.)  Does it have to be brand new or are you open to buying slightly used?  I have found decent deals on gently used audio gear because the seller must have the latest and greatest.  However, with subwoofers you have to be careful and really determine why they are selling it.  Some of the time the sub they are selling was too small and they may have cranked the heck out of it for too long trying to get a ton of low end and determined they wanted more, so they sell it to buy a bigger one.

Also, are you handy at building something yourself or are you looking at something to just plug it in and go?  If you want some DIY advice let me know as I built a pair of 15" subs that I love.  I use a separate amplifier to drive them. (Not a plate amp)

Thanks so much for the replies, this is all great information. Here I was thinking I needed to get a vintage subwoofer as well to match the tone of my speakers. Glad to hear that is not the case.

Frankly, I'd like to get something I can just plug and go. Don't have a ton of time on my hands right now and just want something to really complete my setup. 

I am definitely open and agreeable to buying used, as all my current speakers were previously used and they give me a great sound. This has really just come about from having a nice sounding Luxman R-115 stereo and Klipsch KG4 speakers I didnt want to get rid of that were given to me by a friend. I wanted to add surround sound to the setup and ended up with the surround sound amp, speakers, and decoder for about $400 total, all from eBay, which I feel good about considering the price of even newer models that are used of receivers, decoders and speakers. Because of what I have paid, I don't want something particularly expensive subwoofer wise, no more than $200 if possible. Just want this to be my budget audiophile setup for surround sound. If I can say I got a full surround sound setup with speakers for $500, I'll be very happy. Thanks again.

5 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Here's a new Klipsch sub on sale.....https://www.klipsch.com/products/r-12sw

If you have a costco membership, or know someone that does, these subs are $169 right now.  They aren't great, you pay for what you get, but if you want to stay with klipsch, it might fit your budget pretty well.

I will never buy another klipsch sub, as I am tired of dealing with their amplifier issues, but that's just me.