New to HT, advice on Atmos?

ticklemejoviemo

Good evening. Entirely new to home theater, at most ever had was a soundbar. I recently purchased the following Klipsch: 2x R-625FA + 2x R-41M Bookshelves + R-52C Center + 2x R-120SW Sub and a Denon AVR-X3600h.

Setup is in basement with 81" tall drop ceiling. There is 42" between upfiring atmos speakers and standard 2x4ft drop panels. Realize probably not best material for reflection so wondering if should replace some of the tiles in that area with maybe thin plywood or something else more suitable? I CAN set the distance from the speakers to ceiling in Audyssey.

2nd; I'm considering 2 more atmos speakers. considering my couch is backed against the wall and my rear surrounds are on wall with brackets angling them down & in towards listening position, I was thinking the cdt-5650-c II's possibly above couch... However, the literature I have read on that makes no mention of atmos... Is atmos just a marketing term and you can essentially use any speakers as long as plugged into height channel or is there something I'm not aware of? 

pardon cluelessness, but any help greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

On 1/22/2021 at 5:39 PM, ticklemejoviemo said:

I recently purchased the following Klipsch: 2x R-625FA

I'm considering 2 more atmos speakers... I was thinking the cdt-5650-c II's

Don't mix upfiring and downfiring, super bad mojo.  Do four of either one or the other type.  

• 2 months later...

Hello guys.

I decided to use this old thread instead of starting another Atmos related thread, to keet the forum a bit "cleaner".

I bough a pair of R-41sa and hooked them up a few days ago and now I'm running 5.1.2.

My HT room is 16 x 13' with 8' ceiling. MLP is almost in the middle of the room, 4' away from the back wall. After reading recommendations for Dolby Atmos guidelines, due to my 8' ceiling I went with Atmos enabled set up. My R-41's are sitting on top of RF-82's apprx. 11-12 ' away from MLP.

I've tried to google for information on now much reflected from the ceiling sound waves are getting disperse, but can't find any data or formula oh how to calculate the bestMLP  location based on distance from Atmos enabled speakers in relation to the ceiling height.

Do I need to move my MLP forward or it's right where it need to be to get reflected from the ceiling sound waves?

Audyssey calibration measurements:

Front R - 11.7', - 4.5db

Front L - 12' , -6.5db

Center - 11.2', -7db

Sub - 13.1', -9db

Sur R - 6.7', -3.5db - adjusted to -2.5db

Sur L - 6.6', -4db - adjusted to -3 

Front Atmos  R - 11', +1db - adjusted to +3

Front Atmos L - 12.2', +2db - adjusted to +4

I've added 2 db to both Atmos channels to make them more audible, as far I've read a lot of people are doing +2db for Atmos up-firing and down-firing speakers.   

So, despite following statements 

"Will I always get better Dolby Atmos sound with overhead speakers?"
"Dolby Atmos enabled speakers produce slightly diffuse overhead audio that is quite lifelike and, in some cases, preferable to the sound that comes from overhead speakers."

"Audio experts agree that the overhead layer of sound produced by Dolby Atmos enabled speakers can be preferable to the sound originating from overhead speakers."
"Dolby Atmos enabled speakers do not rely on virtualized processing. That means you don’t have to sit in a specific spot to get the full Dolby Atmos effect."
"Based on an understanding of how the brain interprets sound, Dolby Atmos enabled speakers modify select audio frequencies to reinforce the sense of sound coming from above. This filtering is also applied to any sound that may leak horizontally from the speaker cabinet to further amplify the perception of sound coming from above."

Do I need to increase the distance from Atmos speakers to MLP since the sound has to travel up to the ceiling and then down to MLP? 

We've watched a few movies and we sure feel the difference of 5.1.2 vs 5.1 , but I want to be sure that I'm getting the best possible sound from my current set up.