RIP Hank Aaron

Shiva

RIP Hank, I watched him often back then, staying up late to see the Braves beat others often. Wanted to post this yesterday morning but was still in timeout.

Was anybody else watching when this happened?

Fulton County Stadium... the Best!

• Like 2

RIP Mr. Aaron.  

Were Henry born today, he would probably not have the legendary baseball career.  Today opportunities in athletics and education not available to a young Henry Aaron would have made a career in professional baseball much less likely.

7 hours ago, Seadog said:

I remember watching that.  Somewhere I still have Kodachrome slides that I shot of the TV screen when it happened.  Before VCRs obviously.

I remember Kodachrome ... and the days before VCRs ... and Henry Aaron. Suddenly I feel even older.

• Like 1

A classy stand up guy who had all the reasons in the world to be bitter but chose the high road.  He will be missed.

Did I mention what a great baseball player he was?:unsure::D  Go Braves or Hammers if the name gets changed.

In addition to Hank being still the career RBI and total bases leader, a cool fact I read yesterday was that even without Hank's 755 homeruns, he would still have over 3,000 hits.

Bill

• Like 2

1 hour ago, willland said:

Oh yeah.  Biting my fingernails as usual.

Bill

Ha! I was only ten and next to zero stress then.

But I remember that and the "Thrilla in Manilla", Ali's jungle fight I missed most of it for some reason.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JohnJ said:

Ha! I was only ten and next to zero stress then.

You and me both and not sure it was stress that started my nail biting. 

6 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

But I remember that and the "Thrilla in Manilla", Ali's jungle fight I missed most of it for some reason.

Sports and exploring was all we wanted to do. 

Back then and through my teenage years, we were like the kids in "Stand By Me", always on an adventure with very little stress and few cares in the world.

Bill

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

GREAT!!

Movie!!

One of my all time favorites.  Brings back memories walking the tracks looking for track kill(not humans), crossing the trestle hoping no train comes, walking/wading through leach and cottonmouth infested swamps.

Back to Hank Aaron.  It brings tears to my eyes every time I watch the clip of him breaking the record and rounding the bases and the two bold admiring fans patting him on the back.

Bill

• Like 1