artto's Klipschorn Room

artto

• 2 months later...

Well, I'll take the bump a couple months later.😀.  I've been following your thread and system changes for some time.  While I appreciate that the room and room mods/treatments are a substantial part of what you're doing, I'll probably follow you in that more unfamiliar direction through the more familiar door of speaker changes.

I find myself strongly considering moving from modded Khorn's in my 14x22x8 living room to Jubes or SH-50s. Online comparisons and local dealers have tried to sway me recently to Revel Ultima Salons, JBL M2s or the Meridian powered DSP'd systems but the allure of big horns is strong right now.  I have a chance to borrow one SH-50 from a nearby pro audio place thinking that some mono listening might be enough to tell if they're my cuppa.   I've never heard Jubes or sought them out in the Boston area. 

What's the latest with your journey Art?  Still got the Danleys?

• 4 months later...
On 6/28/2018 at 9:57 PM, Delicious2 said:

Well, I'll take the bump a couple months later.😀.  I've been following your thread and system changes for some time.  While I appreciate that the room and room mods/treatments are a substantial part of what you're doing, I'll probably follow you in that more unfamiliar direction through the more familiar door of speaker changes.

I find myself strongly considering moving from modded Khorn's in my 14x22x8 living room to Jubes or SH-50s. Online comparisons and local dealers have tried to sway me recently to Revel Ultima Salons, JBL M2s or the Meridian powered DSP'd systems but the allure of big horns is strong right now.  I have a chance to borrow one SH-50 from a nearby pro audio place thinking that some mono listening might be enough to tell if they're my cuppa.   I've never heard Jubes or sought them out in the Boston area. 

What's the latest with your journey Art?  Still got the Danleys?

Wow. I'm surprised anyone is still looking at this - but nice to know it still has some value.

I've been attending AXPONA the last few years since it's local for me. Been going since the first one. I've had the opportunity to hear some of "the best" stuff out there in large rooms from the best seat in the house, even some after hours extended "private" sessions.

I don't like to brag, but, as it stands, I have yet to hear anything more accurate or that even "sounds better" than where I'm at now, at any price. And my room is still SLOWLY under going an acoustical transition to accommodate the current setup for best performance so I'm not comparing a completely optimized system to a temporary "best as we can do for now" $$$$$$ show setup.

So, to answer your question, yes, I'm still using Danley SH50, NAD C390DD with a quad of Epik Empire subs.

While all of the above speakers you've mentioned are excellent, and I'm sure I could live with any of them, my preference for SH50 still stands. They ain't pretty. But I don't need pretty in my situation. The speakers are in the shadows so they're not "in my face" visually. I don't like a lot of equipment piled up in front of me so I can gaze at all the pretty lights & reminisce about the sound it's making.

I kind of like the JBL M2, but very over priced compared to SH50. Revel Salon - WAY over-priced for what it's capable of. Both are beautiful speakers. I haven't heard any DSP'd systems that I like (not even when used in my own system). Personally, I think DSP is way overrated and is used to correct things that don't need correcting - if it's done correctly in the first place!!! DSP has it's appropriate applications (large areas, multiple speaker/amplifier arrays that have to be "coordinated", etc). In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if you feel your setup is benefiting from DSP, there's definitely something wrong elsewhere in the setup.

The one thing that stands out about SH50 is their phase linearity - over the whole frequency range. After living with these speakers for a few years now, I can easily hear where crossovers are in other speaker systems. And the ones that don't use crossovers, like say full-range electrostatics, don't have the acoustical output and/or power handling capacity to reproduce live music/sounds for anything but the simplest music (ie: string quartet) or in very small rooms.

But like I've always said, it's your ears, your money & you're the one who has to listen to it. So "to each is own". My criteria are probably not the same as most people. I'm not interested in "what sounds the best" in the subjective sense unless it's accurate first. I still record live music and I'm interested in reproducing that "you are there" accurately.

Disclosure: I still have my Khorns. Desktop & HT system all Klipsch except for the HT SVS sub.

On 6/29/2018 at 4:17 AM, DizRotus said:

Did you ever start that thread?

No, I didn't.

I've posted some pics of the renovation on Facebook. Just starting to add some "base" scenery - tunnel structures, retaining walls, that sort of thing. No hard landscape yet. But, the Klipschorns are in the railroad room 🤗 Nice to have some excellent sound playing while I'm working on the railroad 😎

Forum Administrator: I don't see any train emoji. PWK liked trains and worked for a RR in Chile. (hint hint)

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I'm currently designing a room for my Klipschorns.  Will have square walls and ceiling.  Ceiling will be about 94" high.  I'm tied to 16 ft. on one wall.  I would value any advice regarding the other wall dimension.  

Aim for the darker areas of the plot, with black areas being the best acoustically for low frequencies:

115185923_Optimalroomratiosfor100cubicmetreroom.JPG.162c02dfa9b3dd63218590937f2cfd37.JPG

The minimum dimension of the room is usually height (7.8 feet in your case--which is marginal on the low side).  The first dimension ratio on the plot would be (16 feet)/(7.8 feet) = 2.04.  So the third dimension can be found from the plot below on a vertical or horizontal line from the ratio 2.0--which doesn't look like you have many good choices.  I'd recommend changing one of the "set" dimensions that you've mentioned. My recommendation is to raise the ceiling height by one foot for Khorn use. 

Failing that, I'd recommend the third dimension be chosen from the following dimensions: 11.7 feet, 19.5 feet, 21 feet, 25.7 feet, 27.3 feet, 31.2 feet.

The above plot was taken from the following JAES article: https://community.klipsch.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=79899

Chris