Cab maker in NorCal?

bsac335

You might try looking for CNC wood routing shops. If there is a shop like "Woodcrafter" out there they will have someone behind the counter who can refer you to a local source to get your work done. They may also have a bulletin board where you can post wants or look for people who do what you want done.

Do you have any CAD design capabilities to provide a good set of plans to someone? Good accurate measurements will work and a sample to measure from by whomever you use is best if you can't create a good drawing.  

OK, here's a fun question for all the speaker mod folks on this forum. What if? ....What if I measured the internal volume (sq. inches) of my existing cabs (which are smaller than the standard CW2 cabs)  ....then determine how much internal volume I am missing because of my resized (smaller cabs) vs. the standard CW2 cab. Once I get this number, build an extra extension to my existing cab using tis number to get my cabs up to the standard size of a CW2 cab. Obviously, my cabs are not going to be the exact width of the standard CW2 cab but they would have the SAME internal volume just a bit narrower and taller. I could cut a piece out of the bottom of my existing against the back of the speaker and that would act as the SHELF to lead to (3) rectangular bass ports just like on the standard CW2 cabs. See pic.  Yes, I know, this is sort of a crazy idea, but it's a way to potentially reuse these cabs without having to trash them. JUst curious if anyone with experience in designing and building cabs would care to pipe in on the potential of this idea? Obviously, the way these speakers perform now are not working for me because there is not enough internal volume for the bass response, thus the bass response suck. 

My thought process here is that it would be way easier to build cab extensions to my existing speakers than to re-build from scratch. THoughts? Criticisms? Tips?

cornwall.jpg

klip cab idea.png

OK you are talking about a port shelf and square inches of port opening. You can't just throw something at these because it looks good and expect good results.Your port shelf length can make your sound muddy or washed out real fast with an inch or two too long. To short is better than to long, think Chorus I port here. Just 1/4 inch to much height in your opening can make a big difference in how low you go and how crisp that low is.  

How did you come up with this design anyway? Rather than hack and whack and hope you might find a good proven design over at a place like DIY forum. What are the boards leaning up against your cabinets?

18 minutes ago, Dave A said:

OK you are talking about a port shelf and square inches of port opening. You can't just throw something at these because it looks good and expect good results.Your port shelf length can make your sound muddy or washed out real fast with an inch or two too long. To short is better than to long, think Chorus I port here. Just 1/4 inch to much height in your opening can make a big difference in how low you go and how crisp that low is.  

How did you come up with this design anyway? Rather than hack and whack and hope you might find a good proven design over at a place like DIY forum. What are the boards leaning up against your cabinets?

They look like the grilles. 

nickyboy6100 - yeah, I can see how you say they look like 301's. 

THere is bracing that goes from front-to-back ebtween the mid and the woofer. It has a solid back.  You have to remove the woofer to get access to inside the speaker.

My question is would it make any difference if I moved the ports to the bottom, below the woofer?  I have no idea. Or, would it be better to just ENLARGE the ports I already have?

-bob

IMG_7841.jpg

IMG_7842.jpg

IMG_7843.jpg

17 minutes ago, bsac335 said:

nickyboy6100 - yeah, I can see how you say they look like 301's. 

THere is bracing that goes from front-to-back ebtween the mid and the woofer. It has a solid back.  You have to remove the woofer to get access to inside the speaker.

My question is would it make any difference if I moved the ports to the bottom, below the woofer?  I have no idea. Or, would it be better to just ENLARGE the ports I already have?

-bob

IMG_7841.jpg

IMG_7842.jpg

IMG_7843.jpg

So, are your cabinets Klipsch or did you build them? I tried to look back in the thread, but can’t seem to find that information. I’m not sure I would try to modify them. There are quite a few factors that would play in to moving/enlarging the ports. I’m definitely not qualified to give advice on that. Maybe someone else will chime in with some experience. Good luck. 

Not enough bass. THe bass is anemic. THe high-end is crisp. I put titanium diaphrams which was a big improvement. THe components are:

Mid = K-57 (3545)

Tweeter = K-79 (8544)

K-43 woofer

Wondering if I should put bass port tubes that are adjustable to experiment with getting better bass?

https://www.parts-express.com/Port-Tube-2-ID-Adjustable-260-387

23 hours ago, bsac335 said:

OK, here's a fun question for all the speaker mod folks on this forum. What if? ....What if I measured the internal volume (sq. inches) of my existing cabs (which are smaller than the standard CW2 cabs)  ....then determine how much internal volume I am missing because of my resized (smaller cabs) vs. the standard CW2 cab. Once I get this number, build an extra extension to my existing cab using tis number to get my cabs up to the standard size of a CW2 cab. Obviously, my cabs are not going to be the exact width of the standard CW2 cab but they would have the SAME internal volume just a bit narrower and taller. I could cut a piece out of the bottom of my existing against the back of the speaker and that would act as the SHELF to lead to (3) rectangular bass ports just like on the standard CW2 cabs. See pic.  Yes, I know, this is sort of a crazy idea, but it's a way to potentially reuse these cabs without having to trash them. JUst curious if anyone with experience in designing and building cabs would care to pipe in on the potential of this idea? Obviously, the way these speakers perform now are not working for me because there is not enough internal volume for the bass response, thus the bass response suck. 

My thought process here is that it would be way easier to build cab extensions to my existing speakers than to re-build from scratch. THoughts? Criticisms? Tips?

cornwall.jpg

you can increase the size of the cabinet by making it deeper ------so you would fabricate an   extension of the speaker  at the rear , .by removing the rear door  panel  , the extension would then screw onto the current cabinet  with pocket screws .........   basically enlarging the speakers -