La Scala Newbie - K-447s in the house

Reagan

I decided to take a chance and purchased a pair in very rough shape visually but seem to be sonically sound.

S/N  IL944 and IL947; I believe 1973?

These cabinets will require a complete makeover. The previous owner removed the veneer on one cabinet and repaired with bondo. The second cabinet will need the existing veneer removed as it is in pretty bad shape (ripples, cracks, etc...).  If this is the original veneer, will a heat gun remove the veneer?  I want to take my time and not mess up the opportunity to either re-veneer both cabinets or possibly apply a piano black glossy finish.  I am new to these type of speakers and will be doing my homework.  Any sources of reading material would be much appreciated.  I understand that Crites provides some good x-over upgrades but was sad to hear of Bob's recent passing.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Right now I still have my solid state B&K amp which I understand to be overkill for these efficient speakers.

Reagan

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum!

I own a set of 1972 Heresies. I was lucky: they were visually in good shape and only some oil and beewax was needed to bring them back into a shiny state. I was advised here to recap the crossovers. This is an easy job to do yourself, even if, like me, you are inexpirienced in soldering. The cost of new capacitors is really low, in fact, I paid more for the postage than I paid for the capacitors themselves. I kept the original caps. You never know...

One of the decisions you'll have to make is this: do you go for a 'purist' restoration, your goal being sticking close to the original design and sound, using original components (as much as possible), or do your follow the upgrade path (improving the crossover etc with Bob Crites components, for instance). It's your set of speakers, so you are the boss. You decide.

Sometimes, emotions run high on this forum, but there is a treasure trove of knowledge and experience as well, and kind people reaching out too. So don't be intimidated!

It is always a good idea to post some pictures as well, to document your progress.PSX_20210111_105358.thumb.jpg.4adf694146a265b181c6baffcca9e10a.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome,

I don’t think the original veneer was put on using heat activated adhesive, which is not to say that using a heat gun to facilitate removal might not be helpful.  Perhaps Andy @HDBRbuilder can offer better informed advice.  I look forward to following your progress.  Please keep us apprised.

51 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Welcome,

I don’t think the original veneer was put on using heat activated adhesive, which is not to say that using a heat gun to facilitate removal might not be helpful.  Perhaps Andy @HDBRbuilder can offer better informed advice.  I look forward to following your progress.  Please keep us apprised.

Pretty sure you are correct. IIRC, the plywood was purchased with the outer birch layer already on.

Good pictures would help with suggestions on how to proceed.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Reagan said:

I decided to take a chance and purchased a pair in very rough shape visually but seem to be sonically sound.

S/N  IL944 and IL947; I believe 1973?

These cabinets will require a complete makeover.

Reagan

For updating the crossovers with new capacitors , the KLIPSCH genuine parts are available  from JEM   and they do not cost more than aftermarkets ,  these original parts do not change the sound of the Lascala at all while aftermarkets will  because they are not  of identical specs to the older capacitors -

-the Klipsch Factory  Certified seller  is  @JEM Performance   https://jemperformanceaudio.com/    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

For updating the crossovers with new capacitors , the KLIPSCH genuine parts are available  from JEM   and they do not cost more than aftermarkets ,  these original parts do not change the sound of the Lascala at all while aftermarkets will  because they are not  of identical specs to the older capacitors -

-the Klipsch Factory  Certified seller  is  @JEM Performance   https://jemperformanceaudio.com/    

approved

For updating the crossovers with new capacitors , the KLIPSCH genuine parts are available  from JEM  and they do not cost more than aftermarkets , these original parts do not change the sound of the Lascala at all while aftermarkets will because they are not of identical specs to the older capacitors

2 hours ago, Alexander said:

approved

KLIPSCH genuine

-JEM  is a klipsch   Dealer and a Certified repair Center and Seller of klipsch crossover parts - and just like  GM dealers buy Genuine  parts from GM -JEM  buy  Genuine parts from Klipsch  -

1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

-klipsch approved -who said ?

-JEM  is a klipsch   Dealer and a Certified repair Center and Seller of klipsch crossover parts - and just like  GM dealers buy Genuine  parts from GM -JEM  buy  Genuine parts from Klipsch  -

In this post & I believe Chief Bonehead also said the same elsewhere.

here.JPG

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

klipsch Approved ,  means klipsch Genuine Parts sold by klipsch to JEM -

You may be right if JEM gets their caps directly from Klipsch. But for some reason I was under the impression their source wasn't from Klipsch but rathjer it was that they meet Klipsch specs.

59 minutes ago, Alexander said:

I was under the impression their source wasn't from Klipsch

--the parts are klipsch originals -Let there be no doubt -Klipsch Dealers sell klipsch products and not the other way around -

Thank you for your responses!  I am anxious to move into this new arena.  I will send pics soon.  I understand these older models were accessed from the top (instead of the bottom). The previous owner removed the veneer from one cabinet but has not yet removed the veneer from the second.  I don't know if these were originally veneered but on the one with the veneer still in place, it seems to be rippling and coming loose in places. Also the screws that hold down the top ply board are covered completely by the veneer. If I re-veneer of finish in piano black, I would like to leave the screws accessible to remove the top as needed.  Will send photos when I can.  Thanks again for the support.

Reagan

Reagan, the original capacitors in your 1973(?) speakers are no longer available. 

Whatever ANYONE has to offer will differ from the originals you currently own.

The entire discussion on factory replacements in almost 40 year old speakers is moot, academic.

There is a lot of research that has been done by members on this and other forums with an ear for advancement.

Don’t be too quick to pull the trigger on anything until you have done some more reading.

Ask questions and be prepared to sift through the ears of all that have come before you.

There have been many changes to the La Scala over the years to where they are now.

For instance, the newest versions have a crossover point of 4500 hz from the squawker into a vastly superior new tweeter. 

• Like 3

the K-447 in this thread are  70''s M447  , so basically LaScala speakers with the top hat panel than is screwed down and removable ----------it's not the M-447  LaScala split cab mounted sideways of the 60's -----