Andrew Robinson very favorable LaScala Review

Bubo

Interesting that Robinson, his wife, and Sam Tellig all said La Scalas are "Fun."   Well, they are, and so are Khorns, Belles, and probably Jubilees. 

And guess what all those speakers have in common, other than being (largely) a PWK design!

• Like 1

I thought his review was a bit schizoid.  He lists all these areas in which he felt the speakers were not so great, but then goes on to say how he loves them.  I think that would leave a lot of his viewers confused, to say the least.  Does high sensitivity, controlled directivity and low distortion make up for a multitude of loudspeaker weaknesses?  ...Maybe it does!

• Like 2

On 1/24/2021 at 4:08 PM, jdmccall said:

I thought his review was a bit schizoid.  He lists all these areas in which he felt the speakers were not so great, but then goes on to say how he loves them.  I think that would leave a lot of his viewers confused, to say the least.  Does high sensitivity, controlled directivity and low distortion make up for a multitude of loudspeaker weaknesses?  ...Maybe it does!

I agree with his review, there are many speakers with better test results, yet the Lascala's just sound so great as most people here know. Yes the low distortion and efficiency make up for a lot of failings, I found his review to be one of the few accurate ones.

My wife also is opposed to replacing our Lascala's with anything else, even though they're big and are the black lacquer finish which doesn't fit in with our furniture.

I have an R90/6 BMW that I joke about, saying that aside from the brakes, chassis, gearbox, clutch, electrical system and suspension, it's a great bike. That also is true, on any measurable metric the R90/6 falls short, except for one, the shear pleasure of riding it. That's why out of the bikes in the garage it is the one with 500,000 Km on it.

There are many things we really like even though they may not be the absolute best, good thing too as otherwise Diann would replace me with a more up to date model 🙂

• Like 3

I like Andrew's review and agree with most of what he said. Power, Detail, EMOTION. I have similar experiences, there are some of the speakers that I own that "measure" better and then there are others that don't "measure" as good on a graph but when I sit and listen I do get an EMOTIONAL connection which for me far outweighs a graph.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 8:11 AM, Rod Sheridan said:

I have an R90/6 BMW that I joke about, saying that aside from the brakes, chassis, gearbox, clutch, electrical system and suspension, it's a great bike. That also is true, on any measurable metric the R90/6 falls short, except for one, the shear pleasure of riding it. That's why out of the bikes in the garage it is the one with 500,000 Km on it.

There are many things we really like even though they may not be the absolute best, good thing too as otherwise Diann would replace me with a more up to date model 🙂

Had the same thought

Years ago one of the bike magazines evaluated Superbikes, pro riders 8 or 10 of them

Like 10 different measurement criteria, Japanese bike may have been the top 5

Last question for thr Riders: Which Bike do you want to take home?

Every Rider responded Ducati F1 which finished 6th in criteria.