Longer Connection speaker cable for The Fives

BubRub

I'm installing my Fives to the left and right of my 77" TV and am running the cable in-wall so I need a longer 4-Pin speaker connection cable or extension cable.  Does anyone have a source for this? It doesn't seem to be a standard speaker connection cable and Klipsch will not return my emails.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2021 at 5:57 PM, BubRub said:

I'm installing my Fives to the left and right of my 77" TV and am running the cable in-wall so I need a longer 4-Pin speaker connection cable or extension cable.  Does anyone have a source for this? It doesn't seem to be a standard speaker connection cable and Klipsch will not return my emails.

In the same boat as you. Klipsch just ignores questions about cables and connectors. Spent a lot of time trying to find some connectors to be able to build one myself, and I think I figured it out. Just ordered a sample of connectors and if they check out I'll be buying some 4 wire cable to build a longer cable. I'll post again with what I find. I probably need to buy cable / connectors in excess of what I need, would you or anyone else be interested buying a cable from me so I can use up the excess?

• 3 weeks later...

Good news, I was able to find connectors, a cable and some heat shrink, and can confirm that it works and looks great. Here's how to do it:

You'll need what is called an "aviation connector" that seems to be used for CB radio microphone cables and some other things. This is what I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D3DC1PD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_RW5KP4XFWQA6R9RRA5RZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

$10 for 10 connectors. There are other vendors that sell packs of 5, but the price isn't really different, and if you're like me, you'll end up consuming a few of them just getting your soldering technique dialed.

I also bought in-wall rated 16 gauge 4 wire cable from a local AV installer. You can buy a spool online, but just call around to a local installer and buy a length of what you need. I paid $16 for 25 feet, and this is the brand of what they sold me: https://www.southwire.com/wire-cable/low-voltage-cable/in-wall-speaker-cable/p/ELC25

Turns out, it was bright yellow... So I needed some white heat shrink, which I'm actually glad that was the case since even the white version would have text printed on it. You'll also need heat shrink anyway to build up the thickness a bit so the backshell strain relief can grip the cable (I doubled up at the end for this, see photo). This is the heat shrink I bought: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074HS453W?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Pin out is straight 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, but that means one end will have the wires twisted a bit, and this will make soldering less than fun. If you've never done electrical soldering before, you'll want to practice a bit. I kept having a problem of the wires heating up too much to the point of melting the insulation and shorting together, and ended starting over a few times (see photo of the failures...). If you have a good soldering iron this will be less of an issue, but regardless make sure you inspect your work (i.e. use a multimeter to confirm continuity and no shorts between other wires). I ended up wrapping electrical tape around each wire where they crossed to be safe. I also wrapped the soldered connections to prevent shorts to the backshell.

End result I'm really happy with, and honestly better than what I would be able to achieve by simply buying a longer cable in terms of appearance, if one were available. Also, this cable is in wall rated, and I'm not sure the klipsch one is. Sure wish they would have just used banana connectors however!

Good luck.e3199e8201eaea353bbcda30ebf17180.jpg43d510ab0269e79c74c112c0b15c9f18.jpgab051e253e7af8b058c048b7e1b64ba2.jpg02a1004966f59c1058acb33098e3a2ad.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tdietz that looks good! How did you know what gauge wire to use? I'm looking at doing this, but I want to be as close to original specs as possible. My understanding is that the main speaker powers the other, so I would think that the gauge of wire would be critical? 

Also, do you think that an extension of this length (I've got a 75" tv and need to run the cable up the wall, across and then down again) would have any other adverse effects? Sound delay, signal loss etc?

Tdietz that looks good! How did you know what gauge wire to use? I'm looking at doing this, but I want to be as close to original specs as possible. My understanding is that the main speaker powers the other, so I would think that the gauge of wire would be critical? 

Also, do you think that an extension of this length (I've got a 75" tv and need to run the cable up the wall, across and then down again) would have any other adverse effects? Sound delay, signal loss etc?
I took apart the cable that came with the speakers and measured the diameter of the wire with some calipers, but that probably wasn't necessary since the next size up (14 guage) cable bundle wouldn't be able to fit in the backshell anyway. The gauge is critical for fitment in the connector, not so much speaker performance.

As for length, at 4 ohm and 16 gauge, you just need to keep it under 24 feet according to this guide: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm
My cable is closer to 20 feet, and no issues.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@TDietz What an incredible set up. Found my way here for the problem you solved - thank you! The white wire with the white walls is a blessing in disguise. 

Really surprised from your photos that my set up will nearly mirror yours exactly once my home is finished (Fireplace, windows each side, and fives speakers). I have purchased my Frame TV as well -- and from what I can see you are hiding the One Connect Box in the little wooden and metal caddie on the right side. Again my color schemes is almost identical to yours -- do you have a link available where you purchased that caddie? If it was not purchased on-line all good as well. & One other question, is that a 65 inch Frame TV or a 55 inch? Again -- great looking room.. THANKS!!

• 1 month later...

Hello.

After hours and hours of googling for extension cables and aviation connectors, I finally stumbled onto the official Klipsch article for the extension cable for The Fives and The Sixes.

https://support.klipsch.com/hc/en-us/articles/360060110672-The-Fives-The-Sixes-R-28PF-R-26PF-4-Pin-Extension-Cable

I thought I'd share it here as this thread was the first thing I found when I started searching.

Edited by FancySweetroll
Made the link a link
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Let me also add something I found a bit silly hehe.. I live in Denmark, so I of course got a danish power connector. I also got a british one that I am never gonna use. I also got some other weird power connector (no offence) that I am never gonna use. But I did not get an extension cable :D (I also did not order an extension cable). But as Klipsch is willing to save themselves the trouble of putting a very particular power cable in the box depending on the region and just puts in all the power cables. Perhaps they should also just put in the extension cable 😛

• 6 months later...

Hey folks, anymore news on the availability of the extension cable referenced in this article from Klipsch https://support.klipsch.com/hc/en-us/articles/360060110672-The-Fives-The-Sixes-R-28PF-R-26PF-4-Pin-Extension-Cable? I recently purchased two sets of 'The Fives' (one set for me, one for my son) and need extension cables for our application. Before I roll with TDietz's solution (which, btw, is impressive - thx much TDietz), I want to know more about what Klipsch is providing. I just sent them mail asking them, but wondered if any of you have had luck w/them on this. Its strange to me that Klipsch has this article on their support site promoting a solution but the article doesn't link straight to where one can purchase the extension cables online/on their site. Suspect at best! 

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2021 at 1:38 AM, TDietz said:

hi guys! Would these cables work you think ?

uxcell GX16 4 Pins Double Female Head Aviation Socket Connector Electrical Cable 2m https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS9PQTN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_AP2JAG81JY2DXWG8W8NZ

I took apart the cable that came with the speakers and measured the diameter of the wire with some calipers, but that probably wasn't necessary since the next size up (14 guage) cable bundle wouldn't be able to fit in the backshell anyway. The gauge is critical for fitment in the connector, not so much speaker performance.

As for length, at 4 ohm and 16 gauge, you just need to keep it under 24 feet according to this guide: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

• 1 month later...

The five speaker cable extension is a no brainer..16-4 speaker cable from Home Depot at $0.98 a foot added 20 feet for a total of 33' and no impedance or sound difference; works fine. Cut the factory cable in half, spliced in the 16-4 speaker wire (soldered each wire and shrink wrap each wire..don't want them touching each other!! Then shrink wrap the 4 wires together. Done.

• 3 weeks later...

Any experience from anyone on this topic in the meantime? Did someone order a cable that just works out-of-the-box, like the one from AliExpress (...@BenB)?

If possible, I would really like to order a cable that just works, without any manual cutting, splicing, etc.

I don't consider myself skilled enough to do that and I don't want to risk voiding any warranties. The only other thing I could find (other than AliExpress) was the one from the community article linked below, but this seems super shady.

I'm really a bit puzzled: Why would Klipsch have a support article explaining they have an extension cable, but no way of ordering it other than opening a manual support ticket? :unsure2:

Thanks in advance!

Appendix: Other community article

If others are wondering, here are the details as of per April 2022 after clarifying with the Klipsch support:

• If you are US based, you can order a cable directly via Klipsch support for $36.80. The cables are currently being backordered and are only available again starting Mid of May 2022.
  • If you are not US based, you need to find a local dealer (https://www.klipsch.com/dealers) which will be able to order one of the cables on your behalf from Klipsch.

Good luck ;)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...