Rehabbing some old heresies...they need love

Bluewater34

Hi, new to the forum but have been lurking for a long time.  I have some old and rough H700 heresies.  I may need advice if you don’t mind.  

Just started cabinet rehab over the weekend.  They were stacked one on top of the other in a garage.  Water damage on the lower one.  Bottom panel has some swelling.  I peeked inside, type c crossover. Internals look great.  Super clean inside.  Grill cloth is great - but ATTACHED!!!  Argh. Badges appear legit - but who knows.  I’d like to do a cap repair - they sound a little brittle, bass unimpressive, one of the caps is rusted, as though it leaked.  Not sure.  Anyway, advice on a replacement kit would be highly appreciated. I can solder well.  

pics below of the progress. Will update.  Have only sanded so far.  

Ok, having trouble posting pics.  Says 2MB limit.  So I guess I need help with this too!  Thanks.  

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forum!

As for Your replacement caps, take a look at this thread:

Are You sure your grills are attached? Usually they are fastened via velcro-pads to the cabinets. If not removed for a long time (decades?), they can be hard to pry off. Take a butter-knife, for example, wedge it between the cabinet and the grill and losen it gently. If the pad comes of, no problem, just glue it back into place.

• Like 2

Look at Crites klipsch crossovers for parts or whole units.  Put a seal on back panel if it comes off and if it does hey are series 1 usually.. Grills are usually attached with velcro. I added a layer of plywood on inside of rear panel to reinforce it. Has to be smaller so it mounts back in cabinet though. Take metal screw out of the inductor use hot glue or stainless screw. I made lambs wool grills for mine. 

IMAG0518.jpg

No water stains but these were spattered with some kind of oil (maybe bacon fat). Anyhow, they are now presentable and after trying some cheap no name type of caps I ended up re-soldering the original caps (never remover them) and they sound pretty nice, they may sound better with new, but that can wait for a while.