Bass vs impedance

VDS

21 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

Chris ---if I remember it correctly Bob Crites @BEC  modeled the Cast  CW1526C  after the K33E Square Magnet woofer of the 70's

Bob used a lighter cone and a more compliant suspension than the square magnet K-33E/B, with a bigger BL motor. 

That shows up in the prototype K-402-MEH with dual Crites 1526C's.  In my room, the mid-wall center prototype, with EQ, can manage 18 Hz at -3 dB.  It's very clean (generally much cleaner than subwoofers--even horn-loaded ones) and it eliminates the need for a mid-wall subwoofer.

Chris

• Like 1

Just now, Chris A said:

Bob used a lighter cone and a more compliant suspension than the square magnet K-33E/B, with a bigger BL motor. 

That shows up in the prototype K-402-MEH.  In my room, the mid-wall center prototype, with EQ, can manage 18 Hz at -3 dB.  Its very clean (much cleaner than subwoofers--even horn-loaded ones--in general) and it eliminates the need for a mid-wall subwoofer.

Chris

So is the general consensus that in many circumstances the Crites woofer may go the lowest with clean sound?  I’d rather try to maximize my speakers rather that get more boxes (subwoofers) in my room. Just trying to get strong 30-35hz. I’m trying my sq. magnets first.

thanks again

• Like 1

Whoa, wait a minute...

I was referring to a closed box multiple entry horn with two 15" Crites woofers using DSP to equalize everything.  That's not the same as a passive crossover Cornwall bass reflex box with a single K-33E/B. 

I would definitely advise sticking to what you've got in hand (K-33E/B).  That will produce the best balanced bass presentation.

Chris

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Whoa, wait a minute...

I was referring to a closed box multiple entry horn with two 15" Crites woofers using DSP to equalize everything.  That's not the same as a passive crossover Cornwall bass reflex box with a single K-33E/B. 

I would definitely advise sticking to what you've got in hand (K-33E/B).  That will produce the best balanced bass presentation.

Chris

I’ll control myself, put in k33, and listen for awhile...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Klipsch Employees
7 hours ago, VDS said:

I have changed the Cornwall horn to a Elipitrac horn with a BSM 4592 driver.  This was an unquestionable improvement, not just a change.  I can’t  imagine anybody hearing this horn/driver combo and not preferring it to my original k52, 1” horn.  Just looking to see if people have found woofers that are also an improvement from the 60yr old(?) k33 design. 

Thus is a technical/modification forum, I see so many people told to leave the designs alone. As great of an engineer PWK was, I feel like there have to be ways to incorporate new ideas, designs to to improve the sound. I understand every change is not always improvement, but some changes certainly can be improvements.

thanks for the response though ,dialogue  is always beneficial. Ted 

It’s not a Cornwall then. 

• Klipsch Employees
5 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I agree with this. I may have had some influence on the use of that other woofer, but I had a specific usage for the higher Xmax and power handling of the Neo Woofer after Active PEQ's. Besides, after changing out so many parts, calling it a "Cornwall" amounts to true Heresy of the Brand! At that point, it's just a box with the same dimensions and NOT a Klipsch Cornwall.

Exactly 

3 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

It’s not a Cornwall then. 

OMG... it’s a modified Cornwall, a Frankenwall, it’s a Cornwall box with aftermarket horns designed as replacements for Klipsch horns with compression drivers designed not specifically for Klipsch, but knowingly designed with the idea they will probably find their way into some Klipsch products,.

Geez, touchy.

14 hours ago, VDS said:

Currently have Eminence kappa lite 3015 LF4, which has a large, sudden impedance spike centered at 45hz.  Wondering if that’s why I when I measure they drop off a cliff at 45hz.

Typically an impedance spike means you found "Fs", the free-air resonance of a woofer.  Once it's in a box it's actually called something else but short version is that this is the natural frequency where it moves the most so no that shouldn't mean that the output should drop, it's actually moving more than usual.  All motors are also generators so when you hit this frequency basically the motor is going to generate back-EMF and raise the impedance.  The opposite is true when you hit the tuning frequency of a ported box, the backpressure from the port keeps the cones very still and impedance is very low, even though this is where a ported speaker would have the most output.  

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
4 hours ago, VDS said:

OMG... it’s a modified Cornwall, a Frankenwall, it’s a Cornwall box with aftermarket horns designed as replacements for Klipsch horns with compression drivers designed not specifically for Klipsch, but knowingly designed with the idea they will probably find their way into some Klipsch products,.

Geez, touchy.

How did you test this?    asks mr Touchy............

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

How did you test this?    asks mr Touchy............

Well, I’m starting to use REW, but still a real novice.  The switch to a 2” horn was a bit of an impulse.  So much contradictory anecdotal information. I’m still learning what questions to ask.  I’m trying to learn how to “hear” the measurements. Long way to go.

Ted

sorry for the sarcasm, I know you have to defend the brand and keep clarity. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VDS said:

Well, I’m starting to use REW, but still a real novice.  The switch to a 2” horn was a bit of an impulse.  So much contradictory anecdotal information. I’m still learning what questions to ask.  I’m trying to learn how to “hear” the measurements. Long way to go.

Ted

sorry for the sarcasm, I know you have to defend the brand and keep clarity. 

If a rock band evolves to eventually replace the original musicians that produced all the hits...........can they still call themselves by the Original Name? Examples are the Who, the Rolling Stones, Deep Purple (the drummer being the only original member as the best example). Meanwhile ZZ Top is sill intact after more than 50 years and they still play La Grange!

10 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

If a rock band evolves to eventually replace the original musicians that produced all the hits...........can they still call themselves by the Original Name? Examples are the Who, the Rolling Stones, Deep Purple (the drummer being the only original member as the best example). Meanwhile ZZ Top is sill intact after more than 50 years and they still play La Grange!

Has to have an asterisk by the name, The Who was different without Kieth moon, Van Halen different without David Lee Roth. Similar, but not the same.  I call my speakers Cornwalls as a simple shorthand to give basic context. Perhaps we should adopt a new nomenclature, MH=modified Heresy, MC=modified Cornwall, etc...

• Like 1