Jubilee question for Roy

ClaudeJ1

Perhaps Roy Delgado's memory might have faded about this (or never existed), so here goes:

Back in January 1999, I flew to Las Vegas to attend a PPA Digital Photography Seminar held in a large presentation room in Caesar's Palace. On the way there, I was surprised to see a room with a "KLIPSCH" sign near the door. Co-incidentally, this was the last day of the Consumer Electronic show, so I popped into the room to ask if Paul Klipsch was there. A guy that looked exactly like Roy does today, except with no gray hair, wearing a nice suit, gave me one of those "who the heck are you?" kind of looks, as I was told that PWK had left about 10 minutes prior.

In the room was a really coll looking Mahogany Bass Horn Bin with a small Mahogany Treble Horn sitting on top. The Jubilee was a reality and I saw it for myself.

Fast Forward 20 years later, I sold my Tiger Wood Jube-Like Clones with K-402's, TAD drivers, and Xilica Xover to a guy in Toronto. Now another 2 years have gone by, and I see a video narrated by Roy, with some realistic renderings of what the near future Home Version of the Jubilee looks like. It will be glorious in sound and appearance,  I'm sure, but that leaves me wondering about Klipsch's Marketing Department.

The True Heritage Line has evolved from PWK's original designs, and ALL of the speakers have retained the Original Names with Roman Numerals after the names, even though they have all evolved very far beyond the original components and cabinets, including the venerable Klipshorn.

Since the Jubilee BASS BIN is truly what has made what we all call a "Jube" for short, regardless of which of Roy's Treble horns were placed on top with various drivers, balancing networks, be they active or passive, et cetera, the end product is still called a Jubilee. It has been available only via the Pro Dealers that deal in Theater systems. All of the Jubes (and clones thereof) that have been available to the select few of us (by any means necessary) since 2007, has been via Roy himself as the co-designer of the Jubilee Bass Bin with PWK.

Based on what I saw in the video, the NEW Jubilee bass bin will have a single driver (an 18" perhaps?) with 3 bass ports feeding into a Tri-fold Horn will PEQ down to 20 Hz. which is, by any standard, an amazing feat of engineering!!

However, because it was not designed by PWK in any way, it's ALL Roy's baby from here on in, shouldn't this NEW Jubilee be called the Jubilee II, Jubillee XXV, the Diamond Jubilee, the Golden Jubilee (sorry there were only 4 of those made and I curved one, so the name is taken already)? Since it will be released on the 75th Anniversary of Klipsch (the company), it would only make sense to call it something else to mark the 25 years since it's inception.

Agree, disagree, don't care, doesn't matter or what???? Do tell.

You need to go back and read these threads and watch the video..... This Jubilee is the culmination of what PWK and Roy thought was possible. PWK is in the Jubilee but it would never have happened without Roy carrying these PWK principles of design forward. I wish PWK could see and hear Roy's latest designs...

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

In the room was a really coll looking Mahogany Bass Horn Bin with a small Mahogany Treble Horn sitting on top. The Jubilee was a reality and I saw it for myself.

Yes, that CES show was very famous, lots of photos of PWK with that speaker, and Roy in front of that speaker, and an AES article co-authored by the 2 of them. That speaker sits in the Klipsch Museum of Audio History today and anyone can come and see it when they reopen to public. 

It was a reality as a prototype, it was never a real reality . . . until now.

What color was the guy's suit he was wearing that looked like (was) Roy, I can tell you in an instant if it was Roy.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

However, because it was not designed by PWK in any way, it's ALL Roy's baby from here on in, shouldn't this NEW Jubilee be called the Jubilee II, Jubillee XXV, the Diamond Jubilee, the Golden Jubilee (sorry there were only 4 of those made and I curved one, so the name is taken already)?

He says it's "ALL PAUL." So disagree - but it almost doesn't dignify a response. He could have called it anything he wants, he chose to put the credit where he saw it belonged - all Paul.

At least there isn't a claim that he got the ideas for it from reading Bonehead posts in the Forum.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Rumor is there may be one (1) pair of Diamond Jubilees made (announced 4 months ago) just want that on the record so no one thinks that "Klipsch Marketing" got that name from in here. (The Marketing Deparment doesn't decide or determine the name anyway).

The dude who came up with "Diamond Jubilee" is a very, very cool dude - he isn't in Marketing. He's a VP, (of Kick ***).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Rumor is there may be one (1) pair of Diamond Jubilees made (announced 4 months ago) just want that on the record so no one thinks that "Klipsch Marketing" got that name from in here. (The Marketing Deparment doesn't decide or determine the name anyway).

The dude who came up with "Diamond Jubilee" is a very, very cool dude - he isn't in Marketing. He's a VP, (of Kick ***).

Thanks for the responses. I was under the impression that the Golden Jubilee, only 2 pairs in existence......one in a museum at college, the other to that Dealer in NC, which I had apart and curved. My understanding was that Ms. Valerie had 2 pairs made by Klipsch's best craftsman at that time in history from Paul's drawings. It's possible that Roy and Paul had conversations about porting bass horns at one time, but only Roy would know. I recall Roy saying in 2007 he was working on those, and he certainly created some excellent subwoofers in the process or porting them. So these were all questions for Roy and I was hoping to get answers from him about this, if he feels it important enough for us to know. Regardless of how much of Paul is in the new Jubilee Bass Bin, I suspect it will umgawakikbootie!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, seti said:

You need to go back and read these threads and watch the video..... This Jubilee is the culmination of what PWK and Roy thought was possible. PWK is in the Jubilee but it would never have happened without Roy carrying these PWK principles of design forward. I wish PWK could see and hear Roy's latest designs...

I agree. I'm sure he would have also enjoyed experiencing a 5 Watt chip amp using the Tripath Chip.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I agree. I'm sure he would have also enjoyed experiencing a 5 Watt chip amp using the Tripath Chip.

No Claude no... The only thing Tripath is good for is the trash... I tried to like em but just can't. I can listen to them shortterm but never longterm...

4 hours ago, seti said:

No Claude no... The only thing Tripath is good for is the trash... I tried to like em but just can't. I can listen to them shortterm but never longterm...

I use them at 1 volt for speaker testing. But they worked fine for my Quarter Pie BASS horn, FH-1's, and DH1a drivers, but not a clipping volumes. So you are correct and wrong, depending.

10 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I use them at 1 volt for speaker testing. But they worked fine for my Quarter Pie BASS horn, FH-1's, and DH1a drivers, but not a clipping volumes. So you are correct and wrong, depending.

I am correct and correct friends don't let friends tripath.

5 hours ago, seti said:

For a long time the Bel Canto amps used modified Tripath amps. I found them to sound OK but not worth the raves that the Audiophile press heaped upon them.

The ones that I cannot stand are the ICEpower amps. To my ears they sound dreadful. YMMV.

Recently I have been experimenting with TPA3255 designs. They are superb in the bass, but just OK elsewhere. Again, YMMV.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Edgar said:

For a long time the Bel Canto amps used modified Tripath amps. I found them to sound OK but not worth the raves that the Audiophile press heaped upon them.

The ones that I cannot stand are the ICEpower amps. To my ears they sound dreadful. YMMV.

Recently I have been experimenting with TPA3255 designs. They are superb in the bass, but just OK elsewhere. Again, YMMV.

I'm just being difficult and a pain in the arse. If others can find joy in tripath so be it.

I will speculate thus:

Klipsch is a big company that struggles(as all companies do) to show sales and earnings growth. Heritage operations in Hope have added to sales and earnings growth with the improvements to the old classic products driven by the team in Hope led by RD. With the credibility gained by that success and probably some help with other non-Heritage designs RD probably had the 75th anniversary in mind quite some time ago. It's a well timed launch point for all the improvements contemplated for the Jubilee from the time RD and PWK worked together through the work the RD led Heritage team has done with the design. After watching the video interviews of RD I sense a "life's work" level of excitement from RD.  And corporate probably couldn't be happier with the credibility of Heritage and the history of PWK supporting the all important financial performance of the Klipsch brand of products. Well played RD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bracurrie said:

credibility of Heritage and the history of PWK supporting the all important financial performance of the Klipsch brand of products. Well played RD.

I think your points are well made and reasonably accurate. As to taking 25 years more, it's probably because according to Murphy's corrolary "Everything takes longer than it takes." and in accordance to what I heard from employees when PWK was 81, and still going to the plant, where I met him: "Everything changes slowly at Klipsch & Associates."

Now couple that with Fred's ownership, new management and a 7 fold growth, with a subsequent sale to an even more hopeless bureaucracy in the form of even bigger players as owners! After working in Engineering myself, with the bean counters in charge, I can see where it would take a full 25 years for Roy to keep pushing the direction of PWK's vision while doing other duties (putting out proverbial fires) and doing all the R&D required, of which only 1 prototype of 10 makes it to the "big leagues" as a released product. Roy is still relatively young and he's ain't done yet!!

• Klipsch Employees
On 1/26/2021 at 10:14 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

The True Heritage Line has evolved from PWK's original designs, and ALL of the speakers have retained the Original Names with Roman Numerals after the names, even though they have all evolved very far beyond the original components and cabinets, including the venerable Klipshorn.

Since the Jubilee BASS BIN is truly what has made what we all call a "Jube" for short, regardless of which of Roy's Treble horns were placed on top with various drivers, balancing networks, be they active or passive, et cetera, the end product is still called a Jubilee. It has been available only via the Pro Dealers that deal in Theater systems. All of the Jubes (and clones thereof) that have been available to the select few of us (by any means necessary) since 2007, has been via Roy himself as the co-designer of the Jubilee Bass Bin with PWK.

Based on what I saw in the video, the NEW Jubilee bass bin will have a single driver (an 18" perhaps?) with 3 bass ports feeding into a Tri-fold Horn will PEQ down to 20 Hz. which is, by any standard, an amazing feat of engineering!!

However, because it was not designed by PWK in any way, it's ALL Roy's baby from here on in, shouldn't this NEW Jubilee be called the Jubilee II, Jubillee XXV, the Diamond Jubilee, the Golden Jubilee (sorry there were only 4 of those made and I curved one, so the name is taken already)? Since it will be released on the 75th Anniversary of Klipsch (the company), it would only make sense to call it something else to mark the 25 years since it's inception.

Agree, disagree, don't care, doesn't matter or what???? Do tell.

Let me ask you some questions. Do you think that Mr K had nothing to do with tractrix? With steep slope networks? With wide dispersion phase plugs?  With the horn loaded vented system?  

• Like 1