Thoughts on a partial refund for an RC-64 iii arriving damaged

BadAndyMan

Purchased an open box, like new condition RC-64 iii on on eBay for $1050. FedEx handled it pretty roughly as the the outside box was pretty mangled. 

The seller is offering a partial refund if I desire to keep it. 

I wish the damage was on the back of it. It is unfortunately on the front so I will have to look at  it all the time. Its a pretty speaker but I feel like that's ruined now. The grill does a decent job of covering it but still noticeable. I prefer to have the grill off though. The seller is asking what I think is a fair partial refund. Honestly, I am not really sure but I am pretty picky about this and what I am thinking would probably not be fair. What would you guys say?

Also I am curious if anyone has experience on fixing stuff like this on these speakers? I am curious what steps you took and materials you used?

rc64flash1.jpg

rc64close.jpg

rc64flash2.jpg

rc64noflash.jpg

That is frustrating!  What does it look like with the speaker grill on?  If you can live with that, ask the seller for a partial discount. If they don't do a partial discount that makes you happy, send it back and find something else.   I know I don't like distracting shiny things around my TV, so I always have the grill on my RC-7

I have repaired many a nick and dent in motor boards over the years.  You can remove the damaged wood. Then, fill with several layers of "DAP  Plastic Wood" allowing dry time in between applications (Any big box store has this)  Then sand flat or to shape.  Then you can paint the entire front black section with flat black.  Or you could use a textured spray paint to hide any indication that there was damage. (If you don't like the colors the textured stuff comes in, you can always paint over the textured color with flat black.)

Rust-Oleum 223525 Stops Rust Multi-Color Textured Spray Paint, 12 oz, Aged Iron, 12 Fl Oz  81zFhExGbuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iteachstem said:

That is frustrating!  What does it look like with the speaker grill on?  If you can live with that, ask the seller for a partial discount. If they don't do a partial discount that makes you happy, send it back and find something else.   I know I don't like distracting shiny things around my TV, so I always have the grill on my RC-7

It doesnt look too bad with the grill on. You notice it a bit in the day time but at night its barley visible. I do prefer the grills off though

We have dealt with FedEx for many years. Never had a bad experience, or a damaged shipment.

On the other hand, there are a lot of less than reputable sellers on Ebay. Ask me how I know!

Get a full refund. Then make your purchase from a reputable dealer. I learned the hard way.

Every speaker in my house, those that are not built in wall or ceiling speakers, 24 total (18 Klipsch), were all purchased online from a legit dealer. All shipped via FedEx, or UPS. Never had any problem. Not even a scratched box.

Buying on Ebay raises red flags.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Would you keep it with a 50% return on your money?

I took all the feedback into consideration and gave it a lot of thought. That's what I ended up doing though. The seller agreed for a 50 percent refund. I took it to a talented friend who is pretty handy with woodwork among other things. He said he could fix it. I will post a picture of it when he is done.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BadAndyMan said:

I took all the feedback into consideration and gave it a lot of thought. That's what I ended up doing though. The seller agreed for a 50 percent refund. I took it to a talented friend who is pretty handy with woodwork among other things. He said he could fix it. I will post a picture of it when he is done.

I think you did well. It is a fantastic speaker. Good luck....keep us informed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BadAndyMan said:

. The seller agreed for a 50 percent refund. I took it to a talented friend who is pretty handy with woodwork among other things. He said he could fix it. I will post a picture of it when he is done.

50% refund is great  -

• Like 2

On 1/27/2021 at 3:07 PM, tubetwister said:

We have dealt with FedEx for many years. Never had a bad experience, or a damaged shipment.

On the other hand, there are a lot of less than reputable sellers on Ebay. Ask me how I know!

Get a full refund. Then make your purchase from a reputable dealer. I learned the hard way.

Every speaker in my house, those that are not built in wall or ceiling speakers, 24 total (18 Klipsch), were all purchased online from a legit dealer. All shipped via FedEx, or UPS. Never had any problem. Not even a scratched box.

Buying on Ebay raises red flags.

Interesting. This guy has been a seller for a long time and sold about ten RC-64 iii before I bought one, all with good feedback. Bad luck I guess.

15 minutes ago, BadAndyMan said:

Interesting. This guy has been a seller for a long time and sold about ten RC-64 iii before I bought one, all with good feedback. Bad luck I guess.

you have to over wrap everything ------add layers of bubble wrap -over box ---you don't well -------- take insurance to be covered for shipping damages