Klipsch in a restaurant

Mauro

Hi guys:

I wondered if you could offer a little advice.

I'm looking for a great sound system for a restaurant and a little research brought me here. Everything i've read and seen about Klipsch so far seems perfect. 

Now, a couple of technical questions:

In your opinion, could the  RP-600Ms be used in a commercial setting? The restaurant will have a capacity of around 80 covers, with a rough floor surface of 1,000 sq. ft. I'm thinking that 3 pairs, mounted on the walls next to the ceiling and tilted towards the floor should do the trick nicely? What do you guys reckon?

My second question is- the design of the restaurant will be quite retro inspired (50s/ 60s) and aesthetically, the Fives would look amazing with their grey grilles and wood finishes. Now, same as above- can these be used in a restaurant setting? Are the two control knobs (source and volume) not an issue when used as part of a larger circuit? 

Finally, i was thinking of pairing these with some type of Denon Pro mixer/ amp- any good recommendations here?

Thank you all in advance! 

M

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alexander said:

Have you looked into the Heresy's? They are common in commercial settings and would fit into your retro theme nicely. There are some pros here, maybe they will chime in.

I think Heresys would be perfect, especially since your restaurant is retro-inspired - The Heresy was first produced in 1957 and the box design hasn't changed much since then.

• Like 2

Maybe used Heresy 1s? Depending on your location you should be able to pickup a few decent pairs for around the $500/pr range with a bit of patience.

IMO from a performance stand point the Heresy will walk all over the other two that you listed. But looking at your first choices I wonder if size might be a factor.

Thank you so much for your help guys!

Looks like the Heresy's are the ones!

I better go and tweak my budget then haha- and work on that playlist- the last thing i want is playing s#!+ music through those sexy sounding speakers cos that, my friends, would be the true heresy here :)

Thanks again!

M

• Moderators
Just now, Mauro said:

Thank you so much for your help guys!

Looks like the Heresy's are the ones!

I better go and tweak my budget then haha- and work on that playlist- the last thing i want is playing s#!+ music through those sexy sounding speakers cos that, my friends, would be the true heresy here :)

Thanks again!

M

You have excellent taste, this is a big thing now. 

Where abouts will the resturant be? Glad your timing is now, and hope you haven't been delayed.

I will see if I can find some more resturant photos and articles.

@bhendrix has just designed a system for a friend of his who has done a beer garden, our other friend has some big ones outdoors at a seasonal restaurant in Colorado, you have lots of options.

27 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

You have excellent taste, this is a big thing now. 

Where abouts will the resturant be? Glad your timing is now, and hope you haven't been delayed.

I will see if I can find some more resturant photos and articles.

@bhendrix has just designed a system for a friend of his who has done a beer garden, our other friend has some big ones outdoors at a seasonal restaurant in Colorado, you have lots of options.

Thank you so much for the help! The restaurant will be in London, England, so i was originally looking at a guy here in Birmingham who makes incredible speakers called Living Voice- a little out of my budget for now hehe. 

The used Heresy's might be just the thing- if i find enough of them here in the UK- as it'll even add lots of authenticity to the whole interior design with the wear & tear. 

Thanks again guys! I'll let you know when i'm up and running, who knows you may be in this neck of the woods one day and feeling like a good drink hehe. 

10 minutes ago, Mauro said:

Thank you so much for the help! The restaurant will be in London, England, so i was originally looking at a guy here in Birmingham who makes incredible speakers called Living Voice- a little out of my budget for now hehe. 

The used Heresy's might be just the thing- if i find enough of them here in the UK- as it'll even add lots of authenticity to the whole interior design with the wear & tear. 

Thanks again guys! I'll let you know when i'm up and running, who knows you may be in this neck of the woods one day and feeling like a good drink hehe. 

What's the shape of the area you want sound in? You might get by with 4 speakers in that size of an area.

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, Mauro said:

You are in good company there.

Look up Classic Album Sundays.

https://classicalbumsundays.com/klipsch-audio-presents-classic-album-sundays-at-bestival/

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Mauro said:

Thank you all so much! Let's hope this is the year! All the best

@dwilawyer  awesome link!! Album of the month is Tear for Fears' 'Songs from the Big Chair'- about to check it out!

Used is a great way to go when you're looking to get the best bang for your musical buck. 4 Heresy's in a space that size could be loud enough to make talking difficult so at background levels they'll be loafing along.  A subwoofer or two in the corners would take the listening experience to the next level.  They can easily be hidden or disguised as to not bring attention to themselves.

Three pairs of speakers-a regular amp with just A and B pairs available won't quite cut it. I think you're going to have to use a PA amp such as from Bogen to run a number of speakers through matching 25V or 70V transformers, and perhaps individual volume controls.

Also, you'll want to spread out the sound evenly among the area. More speakers will mean you won't have to turn up the volume at Speaker X so it will reach diners farther away, while diners closer to the speakers might be overwhelmed by the sound. Remember, they want to carry on a conversation without competing with the music.

The diners aren't really going to care about the quality of the sound, although I get the idea of wanting the speakers to "look cool" and follow the aesthetic of the restaurant.

If the restaurant has a dropped ceiling, I recommend some A/V, ceiling tile mounted speakers. Bogen has a system design manual which will give you ideas on to populate the restaurant with speakers for good sound. As I said above, you can run 8 ohm speakers with such a Bogen amp using matching transformers with or without volume controls, and you could still use Klipsch speakers.

In a 1000 sq ft (y'all still use sq ft?) you should only need 2 or 3 Heresies.  In such a random environment, stereo will not be useful.  Imagine each speaker is a flood light and "light" the space as evenly as reasonable. 

A local Chattanooga restaurant with a retro flavour has vintage audio gear behind the bar, including an open reel deck with 10.5" reels turning.  Enthralled, I went to look.  There was no tape and no signal in the VU meters.  I was disappointed, but the look was perfect!  

• 10 months later...
On 1/26/2021 at 2:54 PM, Mauro said:

Hi guys:

I wondered if you could offer a little advice

Mauro ,Speakers in a restaurant are usually small round full range speakers installed  in the ceilings ( false ceilings )  versus boxes or speakers that sound very good in 1 spot  , and that get  less louder as you are further away  --ceiling speakers sound evenly around the square footage ,and the sound does not change as you walk in the Restaurant ,