K-33 woofer vs. K-43 woofer

bsac335

12 hours ago, bsac335 said:

I have K43's in my Cornwall's. I was thinking of swapping them out for K-33 pros?  Anyone game?

From what I understand the k43 is the pro version of the k33--

I would check your crossovers to determine what woofer you should be using if it's a Cornwall II than I believe you'd want a k33 if it's a cp-1 than the k43 is the right woofer.

@bsac335

Do you already have a pair of K-33s to try in your Cornwall cabinet?

If not, there may be better woofers to try in there. All of this is subjective of course.

I was under the impression the K-43 was designed for use in a folded horn enclosure. Not that it wouldn’t work in direct radiator. From what info I could find that hasn’t been removed from the forum the xmax isn’t too shallow. I think the K-43 has a little more output than the K-33 too, which is always a plus for a bass driver.

Oddly and regrettably, it is the one woofer I never tried for shirts and giggles in a Cornwall cabinet, even though I still have both. Tried the Kappa 15C, which is similar to the K-43, and thought it tightened up the bass and went higher too. I really think it’s the shelved port in the Cornwall cabinet that doesn’t do it any favours.

I have switched out K-33 and K-43 in my LSI Splits and preferred the K-43s that came stock. 

If you are buying new for this experiment I do not think you will regret the Crites cast frame woofers. They will no doubt find a good home somewhere else if not.

I would not be too quick to get rid of those K-43s though. When you start dabbling with La Scalas, and god-willing you will, those K-43s will rock.

The K-43, like the K-48, respond favourably to low end EQ and stay tight and strong.

Keep us posted on your journey.

On 1/26/2021 at 4:16 PM, bsac335 said:

Does anyone know what the difference is between these two woofers and what actual MODEL speakers they were originally installed into as stock speakers?

K43 --goes in the Industrial series Speakers ----if I leave out the BIG klipsch PRO speakers which are huge by normal standards  ------it would be used in the Lascala Industrial 70-80-90's ---the k43 is more power handling than a k33------100 watts versus 150 -200watts -   the k33 is used in khorn-lascala-cornwall -     the k43 in the industrial lascala  -

I don't think so. I have the t/s parameters for the K33 from Eminence somewhere.  If I emailed the Eminence manufacturers number from my K43s, they should send me the t/s for those. Then I could actually compare the two.

Might be easier to ask Roy... 🤔

They do sound different, though

24 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I don't think so. I have the t/s parameters for the K33 from Eminence somewhere.  If I emailed the Eminence manufacturers number from my K43s, they should send me the t/s for those. Then I could actually compare the two.

let's do it -I wonder if the magnets are the same size on the k43-and the new k33 -

Don't have much experience with Cornwalls but with La Scalas those K-43's are better sounding and you won't miss the slightly deeper bass the K-33 will give. Given a choice I would have the K-43's every time.

Oddly enough the K-43's are also used in the MWM bass bins and I use one in my Super MWM bass bin. It is unbelievable what one K-43 can do in a big folded horn.

58 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Don't have much experience with Cornwalls but with La Scalas those K-43's are better sounding and you won't miss the slightly deeper bass the K-33 will give. Given a choice I would have the K-43's every time.

Oddly enough the K-43's are also used in the MWM bass bins and I use one in my Super MWM bass bin. It is unbelievable what one K-43 can do in a big folded horn.

The K-43s sound terrific in the MWMs.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Marvel said:

The K-43s sound terrific in the MWMs.

I forget. Do you have singles or doubles?

Been a few great deals posted in the Alert section that would let you finish getting the full MCM1900 Grands pit together. Those have been listed long enough that the seller might be motivated... and they're not too far. 

Obviously it is open to opinion.  I tried K33 and K43 in my MWMs years ago and always preferred the K33 due it playing lower and it just sounded better to me in those horns.  Do you need the extra power handling of the K43?  Well I have 900 wpc connected to the two K-33s in parallel in each of the left and right sides.  So 1800 watts.  No issues for years, and I let 'em play.  Never popped a Klipsch speaker in my life.