W&E tube video

carlthess40

I’m watching more and more of these type of old videos
It’s so cool to see how someone could get all of these people and gear setup to make such a historical product.
Do you notice how many woman do the find and small work? And they did it with pride and precision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've not been able to get over to the Western Electric plant here in Rossville, but they are in production of the WE 300B. Regardless of comments about the owner, it's pretty amazing. They have some nice videos on the website for the Rossville Works.

https://www.westernelectric.com/rossville-works

Handmade in the US...

5 hours ago, Marvel said:

I've not been able to get over to the Western Electric plant here in Rossville, but they are in production of the WE 300B. Regardless of comments about the owner, it's pretty amazing. They have some nice videos on the website for the Rossville Works.

https://www.westernelectric.com/rossville-works

Handmade in the US...

I can't resist of course. Funy story... The big audio show in europe can't remember the name but the owner of the western electric name wen to the event. Siblatone who has possibly the largest Western Electric collection on the planet ships working vintage WE systems to these audio shows which is really expensive. They want to show what it is all about. The new WE owner in name goes to the Siblatone room demanding they take down the Western Electric banner and turn off the Western Electric systems. Not sure what jurisdiction he thinks he has in Europe or anywhere when it comes to vintage Western Electric.

Names of most companies have sold many times lately. I've seen weird gold lion and telefunken tubes pop up lately.  The only thing the tubes have in common legacy is in name and logo only. If you have the machinery but not the people that ran the machinery the odds of replicating tubes is not very good. Will they have the same quality control of the original WE. They tossed out zillions of tubes and only kept the ones that met spec. Just call me very skeptical... A good example is the GZ34 rectifier most replicas can't get close to the stability and longevity. I've had terrible luck with moderns. Why??? I'll quit ranting just a pet peev...

@seti

The reports on Whitener is partly what has kept me from going to interview him.

There is a repair shop in the bottom floor of his main building. Whitener collects tons of vintage gear, which is mosly stored there..

When I took my Moondogs there to be checked out and have the one fixed, I got to listen to a new design stereo WE 2A3 amp, not yet in a chassis.. He had a smaller set of Gauders. It sounded pretty nice. After he called to say mine were ready, I went over to pick them up.

He had them hooked up to the giant pair of Gauder A. Speakers ($150+). Sounded ok, but really, I think my LS were just as enjoyable. The tech told me my Moondogs were within 1/3 of a db left/right and to him really, really close to the new WE amp. 

Okay by me, with some over 10 year old Electro-Harmonix 2A3s and who knows how old the 6sn7s are.

Whitener has some older folks working in his plants, training new folks. We'll see, long term how it plays out. If they keep the facility as clean as in the videos, that's a good start.

At $1500 a pair for the 300B, I'll stick with what I've got.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Marvel said:

@seti

The reports on Whitener is partly what has kept me from going to interview him.

There is a repair shop in the bottom floor of his main building. Whitener collects tons of vintage gear, which is mosly stored there..

When I took my Moondogs there to be checked out and have the one fixed, I got to listen to a new design stereo WE 2A3 amp, not yet in a chassis.. He had a smaller set of Gauders. It sounded pretty nice. After he called to say mine were ready, I went over to pick them up.

He had them hooked up to the giant pair of Gauder A. Speakers ($150+). Sounded ok, but really, I think my LS were just as enjoyable. The tech told me my Moondogs were within 1/3 of a db left/right and to him really, really close to the new WE amp. 

Okay by me, with some over 10 year old Electro-Harmonix 2A3s and who knows how old the 6sn7s are.

Whitener has some older folks working in his plants, training new folks. We'll see, long term how it plays out. If they keep the facility as clean as in the videos, that's a good start.

At $1500 a pair for the 300B, I'll stick with what I've got.

Yeah I'd stick to JJ or  EH or a few of the others for now. I've heard original 300b tubes which are great but not sure they are quite 1500 but if you want history you pay...

I'm not a fan of name buying. It feels dishonest.

If I were going to spend 1500 on tubes though it would be Emission Labs or ELROG.. They do their own designs and their own name. Much better IMO.