R-12SW - Brief Review

tubetwister

Okay...these arrived yesterday, so this is a quick and dirty first take.

In the theater with these at the rear of the room (4 subs total), while playing Saving Private Ryan 4K, the bomb blasts rolled through the entire seating area. Much more impact and visceral feel than with only 2 subs up front. The explosions could be felt, much more realistic than before.

In a stereo music setup, with two R-820F’s, the sub is impressive. It goes deep. It also adds impact. 

My music choice is big band jazz, and classical orchestral CD’s.

Playing Matt Bianco featuring Basia, the bass line is smooth and tight. This CD has a bass that is prominent and well recorded.

You can hear the kick of the bass drum, and you can feel the bass strings being plucked by the musician.

The largest compliment I can give is when the sub is playing, you do not actually notice it. But remove it from the system, and there is immediately a big hole. Something is obviously missing!

The secret is subtle integration with the main speakers. You must tweak the x-over and level controls for it to be seamless. It is easy to “over drive” a sub to where it becomes boomy. 

Yes, you can spend $$$ and get a better sub. But you will not get anything that even comes close for $169!

Am I happy with my purchase? Is the Pope Catholic?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tromprof said:

These really are a bargain price for a more than decent sub. I own 2 F20 horn subs and a tuba table. Comparing them to the 12SW is like comparing Jubes to the KG series. However in the right setup these do a great job!

Yes, more than decent. Way more, in fact!

Proper tuning is the key. Gain, x-over, and location will make this sub perform way beyond it’s entry level cost.

In a pure music application, it rendered a very good performance.

For someone who is only looking for a LFE solution, the R-12SW will happily do what you want it to.

Again, there are more capable subs available, at a much higher price point. It’s a matter of diminishing returns. At $250, I would rate this a a good value.

At $169, it is an absolute steal!

• Like 2