Older and newer - contrasting experiences

Carosa

Hello, greetings. I've been an admirer of Klipsch's in-ears for over a decade, first using the Image x10 and then the x10i once I switched to Apple. I've also bought the latter as a gift as I was so convinced of the sound. Then recently I discovered my x10i was missing; looked everywhere, and finally bought two replacement in-ears, the x7i and the r6i, as they were both reasonably priced, having been opened once. As Murphy's law would have it, the lost earbuds have now turned up in the last place I thought of looking, so now I have a full range to compare and contrast. 

In my general research over the past couple of weeks I stumbled on the fact that Klipsch has a forum, so this is my opportunity to say that, contrary to some reviews I've read, the x10 and x10i are not only still working perfectly after 10 years' regular use, but they surpass both the others in power and also in comfort (the mics in the x7i and r6i are bulkier and angled, which takes some getting used to). The r6i has good detail but this and the (then so hyped) x7i with its gorgeous ceramic speakers don't have the same depth, in my first impression.

In my ramble through past topics I found a thread dated 2013 regretting that the x10 series was discontinued. I can only second this opinion. But of course I'll now keep the other two. The difference in comfort is small and the noise exclusion as good or better. But it would be interesting to hear what other folks think about this? And does Klipsch intend to revive the x10 design sometime, which I would really like to see?

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 11:05 AM, Carosa said:

does Klipsch intend to revive the x10 design sometime

hey you never know  -------retro equipment may make a comeback  ?  -fads always do come back in some ways or the other -

Welcome to the Forum  -

Thank you! I think it's a shame to put the Image x10/x10i into the retro/fad category, but a lot of good things have bit the dust in the last ten years. Makes me all the happier that both these little gems still work perfectly.

On the question of comparison: Reading through other threads on the x10 I note that e.g. member 'gmarcm' (back in 2013, exactly 8 years ago!) recommended giving any new pair of in-ears at least 50 hours of 'break-in time'. I confess that hadn't occurred to me. Neither, evidently, to the people who sent back the x7i and the r6i, thus giving me the opportunity of obtaining them at an affordable price. It seems a bit of patience is necessary. So I have hopes that both these IEMs will sound even better in a little while. 

I also saw something about these sounding even better with an adapter, but haven't gone down that road yet. Is that really necessary for the x10's? I listen to mostly classical music and am pretty impressed with these IEMs as they are.

1 hour ago, Sadie42 said:

I have yet to hear a wireless product that sounds as good as a wired one. 

That's my general impression – also from reading other people's reviews. Also, wired means lighter and no need for a battery which will most likely give up the ghost sooner or later. Quite apart from the need to recharge the things.