1st pair Heresy I

Stretch

I have just acquired my first pair of Heresey which happen to be I's from late '84.  I have admired the Heresy since the late 70's when I was in High School and finally I have a pair.  These speakers have been built into an entertainment center since new and have never been moved until now.  The cabinets are nearly flawless except for the fact that they were painted green to match the entertainment center.  I have completely disassembled the speakers and meticulously sanded then down to the original unfinished birch, the edges and corners are sharp, they are beautiful.  I am asking for opinions on if I should or should not finish the cabinets and if so, what would be an appropriate finish that would respect the authenticity of the speakers.  Let me know what you think.

On 1/27/2021 at 4:59 PM, Stretch said:

I am asking for opinions on if I should or should not finish the cabinets

the tag of the Speakers should indicate what finish  these Heresy Speakers came with  from the Factory ------if they were Raw Birch then that would be the most authentic finish-------

I'd do a wipe on poly finish at a minimum.  Protection looks better than unfinished, to me.  I just recently refinished a set of 82 Heresy's that never had any finish on them and I personally think they look much better. I have a thread on here with the before and after. 

Actually there were many authentic finishes. I do like the birch a lot though and like the idea good solid wood was used even more.

IV. HERITAGE SPEAKER WOOD/FINISH CODES:
1. Until the late 70's-early 80's (and again in 2008 on Heritage models),
customers could special order a number of exotic veneers.
2. It should be noted that until May, 2001 there were almost 100 different
finish, grill cloth, and riser 'combinations' or variants that could be ordered for the
Heresy’s and up to 75 versions of the Klipschorn.
3. In the mid-late 90's, Klipsch generally ceased most special order
veneers and raw birch was also discontinued on most models, except Heresy-
II's.
4. Material for raw birch is/was Georgia-Pacific cabinet/furniture grade 7
ply (5 inner standard grade plies and the two outer very-fine grade plies).
5. Risers for the Heritage series were originally optional, and there was a
long base for horizontal placement of standard Cornwall's.
6. Heresy risers were generally "straight" until the late 1980's, and were
still an option until the late 90's. In the late 1980's the "slant" style became the
general standard. Slant risers appeared in the 1970's on Heresy-Is, but are not
seen often. Currently the US version Heresy is shipped with slant riser,
elsewhere in the world they can be ordered with or without the riser.
7. "Oiled" finish refers to the factory application of a high quality furniture
grade wood oil that fills the pores of the wood and seals the finish. The type of oil
is similar to a Watco "danish" or "rejuvenating" oil. Oiled finishes require a routine
"oiling" with a light non-buildup type of furniture grade wood oil.
8. "Lacquer" refers to the application of one or two thin coats of a clear
semi-gloss lacquer sprayed on the cabinet and motor board prior to installation of
drivers. That lacquer was obtained from various vendors, and as of 2013, is a

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the input.  The speakers are HBR, unfinished birch.  I experimented with some birch plywood i had laying around, tried different oils and waxes and found that a couple of coats of good ole Johnsons past wax and some buffing maintained the color of the birch and left a super smooth finish and should help protect the wood.  

Next topic:  Crossovers.  I've read several threads about recap.  Seems like it is necessary and seems like JEM is best bet for originality?  Any thoughts