RC-64 II vs RC-64 III

paulgyro

For those who have experience with both these centers can you please share your listening impressions? I'm strongly debating between the two, a used RC-64 II for half the price of a new RC-64 III.

I'd be using them with my Forte IIIs.

I'm wondering if the RC-64 III improvements are significant enough to warrant twice the cost. 

Paul

5 minutes ago, paulgyro said:

Indeed I have gotten a quote from Steven.  Used RC-64 II is half the price of the III at Steven's price..

It sounds like a good deal on the used one. I have heard the lll but not the ll. The new one will have a warranty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paulgyro said:

Good idea, I wish I could figure out how to do that from a space standpoint.

If you want the best sound there's always a way to do it.  When I finally put my Heresy LCR together it was unbelievably better than any 'traditional' center I had ever tried before. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

If you want the best sound there's always a way to do it.  When I finally put my Heresy LCR together it was unbelievably better than any 'traditional' center I had ever tried before. 

I'm also kicking around the idea of getting a single Heresy which I could make fit easier. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

Did you try the RC64lll with your RF7llls? The RF7lll had a noticeable improvement over the ll, so did the RC64lll over the ll.

No. The RC-64 II is a great speaker. I will bet in a double-blind listening test, very few if any listeners could tell the difference between a II and a III.

Actually a full range speaker would be a better choice for the center channel.

12 minutes ago, paulgyro said:

So you've heard both the RC-64 II and III then?

No I have not heard the RC64ll, just the newer version. I know they are both exceptional speakers, just like the RF7, ll, and lll. But Klipsch did make some improvements from the ll to the lll, in the towers and the center, and if there's anyway to keep them completely timbre matched, that might help. But if you're getting a good deal on a RC64ll to go between Forte llls, that's hard to beat. I have an idea what Cory's price is, and if you can get a RC64ll for half of that, that's a steal. So I guess to answer your original question....probably not.

Hope I didn't confuse you 😀

• Haha 1

Who on this forum has done a double blind listening test between a II and a III speaker? 

I’ll wager that it would be hard to tell the difference, if any. I think these continual “upgrades” are more for marketing purposes than real audio improvement. All companies do this, of course.

My RC-64 II blends seamlessly with my RF-7 III’s. Save your money. You will be glad you did.

Go back and read some original reviews of the RC-64 II. That will answer your question.

• Like 1

Any of the RC-64's are great.  I used to own the original RC-64 and now own the 64 III.

The 64 had a 1.25 compression driver.  The 64-II went to a 1.75" compression driver.  The 64-III is more similar to the 64-II and from what I've read (I think from Cory) the 64-III has more bass compared to the II due to more bass content being produced by modern movies.

I actually like the sound of the 64-I the best.  As promised the 64-III has more bass and I prefer the articulation of the original RC-64.  Both are phenomenal sounding BTW.  You can't go wrong with any of the RC-64's.

RC-64 III, RF-83 and RP-600M.

723126217_RP-600Mbi-amprightsideview.thumb.JPG.a7ae410117694c96ee0a4dbed5c93e32.JPG

• Like 1

Bass response is mentioned in the above post. I used the processor's EQ to raise the x-over to the RC, as it sounded very boomy / muddy, especially with male voices in sound tracks. Sending the lower freq's to the towers and subs is a better option...at least in my theater setup.

TV commercials were never an issue, nor recorded music (CD's). But movie sound tracks did not sound good at all. After doing the EQ process, much better.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, paulgyro said:

Thanks all, I think I'll save a considerable amount of money and just pick up the used RC-64 II

Nice idea. 

If you go with the 64 II and don't like it you can always sell it for what you have in it.  Then the 64 III is still an option.

• Like 1