RC-64 II vs RC-64 III

paulgyro

So I just went to check out the RC-64 II. I checked out each of the woofers and one of them was blown.  He said he's going to try and fix it but needless to say I didn't pick it up. I just didn't want to roll the dice. RC-64 III is back on the table.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, paulgyro said:

So I just went to check out the RC-64 II. I checked out each of the woofers and one of them was blown.  He said he's going to try and fix it but needless to say I didn't pick it up. I just didn't want to roll the dice. RC-64 III is back on the table.

Not a deal breaker, as it is easy to repair. Just order a replacement speaker from Klipsch. I did this myself many years ago with a Klipsch CC.

Of course, make the owner cover the repairs. No big deal.

Or just pony up the $1499 for a III.

48 minutes ago, tubetwister said:

Not a deal breaker, as it is easy to repair. Just order a replacement speaker from Klipsch. I did this myself many years ago with a Klipsch CC.

He's been talking with Steven, he will pay much less than that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tubetwister said:

Agreed, I just didn't want to buy a damaged speaker. He's going to fix it and I can perform a full test at  that point (unless I break down and get something else).  I'm looking at everything Klipsch has to offer now from their THX line, to the Heresy III or IV, and the Pro line.  There are a lot of good options. 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 3:37 PM, wvu80 said:

RC-64 III, RF-83 and RP-600M.

723126217_RP-600Mbi-amprightsideview.thumb.JPG.a7ae410117694c96ee0a4dbed5c93e32.JPG

When I see pictures as these (only as an example nothing intended to wvu80)  I always wonder what people do to decouple their Center from the supporting cabinet.

I had serious resonance problems and sound coloration with my set-up which took a while to solve.

Jef

2 minutes ago, JefDC said:

When I see pictures as these (only as an example nothing intended to wvu80)  I always wonder what people do to decouple their Center from the supporting cabinet.

I had serious resonance problems and sound coloration with my set-up which took a while to solve.

Jef

Does your speaker have spikes?

IMG_2763.jpg

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Very nice. You could probably just use some sort of isolation pad under your center, it sits flat. I really like that cabinet, and your tv supports match😀

Did the legos work?

Yes it works excellent, same principle as a spike : weight concentrated on a small surface = high pressure (kg/mm² or lb/in²).

I made sure that the Lego are situated on the front where there is a beam inside the cabinet to minimize the vibrations.

My 'superdeluxe'  tv supports is a cellular concrete slab cut in half 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MercedesBerater said:

@JefDC   I use compressed felt furniture pads, you can get them in packs of a dozen or so - different sizes both diameter and thickness.  work like a charm and only cost $2.00

Might try that to see whether there is a change. 

Good idea for the back as that point is sitting on the unsupported part. 

I also considered filling the hollow space below the speaker with foam, that would dampen the resonances considerably but move them up in frequency.

I feel I'm hi-jacking this thread 😬 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paulgyro said:

Agreed, I just didn't want to buy a damaged speaker. He's going to fix it and I can perform a full test at  that point (unless I break down and get something else).  I'm looking at everything Klipsch has to offer now from their THX line, to the Heresy III or IV, and the Pro line.  There are a lot of good options. 

Don't forget about a third forte center...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tubetwister said:

. Just order a replacement speaker from Klipsch. I did this myself many years ago with a Klipsch CC.

Simply Speakers sells OEM Klipsch woofers and diaphragms.  I didn't see the RC-64 II listed and I don't know what the part number is.

Is a woofer available from Klipsch Tech support?

In any case In Steven We Trust to source an OEM woofer if you want to go that route. with the II.

6 hours ago, JefDC said:

I had serious resonance problems and sound coloration with my set-up which took a while to solve. - Jef

Hey hey hey!!!  You have insulted the resonance of my center channel and I now demand satisfaction!  🤜🤓🤛

LOL obviously, I wouldn't take offense.  It's a good question/comment.  You can't tell from the picture but the 8" bed risers were a short term solution to getting my TV up over top the RC-64 III.  Underneath the 64 III is a 3/4" thick closed cell soft rubber mat that covers the entire width and length of the speaker. 

You can see it a little better from this angle of my previous RC-64 Mk1.

I put everything on rubber pads.  👍 😎

5ab823f1ae6a0_RF-83RC-64smallpic.thumb.jpg.a3647ca627d236f7c3ccc036557c687b.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Hey hey hey!!!  You have insulted the resonance of my center channel and I now demand satisfaction!  🤜🤓🤛

LOL obviously, I wouldn't take offense.  It's a good question/comment.  You can't tell from the picture but the 8" bed risers were a short term solution to getting my TV up over top the RC-64 III.  Underneath the 64 III is a 3/4" thick closed cell soft rubber mat that covers the entire width and length of the speaker. 

You can see it a little better from this angle of my previous RC-64 Mk1.

I put everything on rubber pads.  👍 😎

5ab823f1ae6a0_RF-83RC-64smallpic.thumb.jpg.a3647ca627d236f7c3ccc036557c687b.jpg

A closed cell soft rubber mat that something I could try as well. Another good suggestion.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JefDC said:

A closed cell soft rubber mat that something I could try as well.

For something inexpensive those floor mats which interlock can be found at Harbor Freight for about ten bucks for four.  I trim them with heavy scissors.

I also like shopping at Lowes because they have floor mats which are not on the web site and they're always on sale.

I really like the anti-fatigue mats with the bevels like the ones for kitchen.  Industrial ones are much more expensive. 

https://www.amazon.com/Standing-Fatigue-Kitchen-Cushioned-Stand-up/dp/B08HCKJ3GR/ref=sr_1_14?crid=2W06VELNM90E1&dchild=1&keywords=anti+fatigue+mat+kitchen&qid=1612244349&sprefix=anti+fat%2Caps%2C172&sr=8-14

10 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Don't forget about a third forte center...

Yah I seriously consider one but it's the most expensive solution as well would make me redo my whole entertainment center costing even more money (to make it fit).  I'm seriously considering a Pro KPT-1260H. Same woofer and midrange as the Forte III. Also way cheaper! It's unreal how cheap the Pro line can be from the right dealer! I can get the new Pro speaker for only $50 more then a used RC-64 II!