Vintage Receiver or New Integrated Amplifier for La Scala's?

Peacemaker

First of all, I want to say that La Scala's have been on my bucket list for along time and finally we found a set (1980, upgraded) that were in great condition. They have been one of and so far the best audio-related purchases I've made since starting out in this hobby many years ago. Thank you jimjimbo! 

By way of background, I've been involved in this hobby for a few decades starting out with a NAD 7120 stereo receiver and a set of Boston Acoustics A-60 speakers and moved on and up to Sony ES separates and NHT speakers in the early to mid 90's, when I began to focus solely on home theater. Eventually, I upgraded from the Sony ES pre/pro to a Denon AVR. The biggest limitations were budget, space, and having little ones running around, literally :).

That said, we're at point now where we can focus on listening to the music and want to begin exploring "better" sound. What does that mean? I don't know but I think I'll know it when I/we hear it 😉Currently, we're listening to the La Scala's by rotating in a few different vintage Marantz, Pioneer, Sansui, and Technics receivers as well as a Sansui CA/BA2000. 

As I've only had experience with older and vintage equipment with the La Scala's, I'm curious what a more modern integrated amplifier would do for the sound of the La Scala's in addition to adding a bit of modern convenience in the form of remote control. Our sources are Chromecast streaming, a turntable, and CD/DVD. 

I'm really interested in what La Scala owners are using, why you selected your particular unit, as well as your experience with it. So many options: Class A, Class A/B, Class D, Digital inputs. I'm not sure which direction to go in and where do I begin experimenting?

I'd appreciate any and all the advice you could share. Thanks!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

To see what you have been missing in sound try a tube amplifier. Cheapest alternative for great sound with LaScala's. Some of the Chinese ones are great deals right now. Amazon

I've done some research into tubes, but don't know what to jump into, SET, or push pull. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Integrated or new separates would be better than any receiver.  Personally I prefer a clean amp which does not add colorations to the original source.  

I'd like to keep the stack small, so separates are not an option. What integrated amps do you use or recommend?

I use Sunfire separates, which does not fit your size limit.  By some standards they might even be thought of as "vintage" although they are around only 20 years old.  Look for amps that can handle impedance dips, ideally doubling in power as impedance halves.  If you give the forum a budget, others can help you spend your money!  There are lots here with experience of all of the well known brands currently available.

• Like 2

Chorus II slinger here. I compared my vintage Marantz 2245 back to back with my new Yamaha A S2200 integrated. I have a huge respect and sentiment with my old 2245, but the new Yamaha is just a far superior unit. The detail and presence is outstanding. The low end is punchier and tighter. Plus it comes with a remote, and the VU meters are a joy. I'm really pleased with the Yamaha!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Jeepnmon said:

Marantz, Pioneer, Sansui, and Technics receivers as well as a Sansui CA/BA2000. 

I had my BA/CA2000 combo recapped. I like the amp, but the preamp did not sound as well as the Sansui AU7700 that I was and still am using for the preamp. I am running the CA2000 on a different system to see if it mellows to sound right. I bought a Sansui AU919, but I will have it recapped before I use it. I like the sound of the older amps better than newer ones, but I might not have heard what others have. If you have not had the Marantz or Sansui recapped, I would do that before passing judgement on their sound. 

• Like 1

How much do you want to spend ?

A really good 20W Amp is more than you can  use

Schiit looks like they have  really good 20W Class A Solid State

Their products bench test well, performance matters

You would have to come up with a pre amp, depending on what you listen to

If all digital, run a DAC with a volume control or passive direct

1/100 Watt is loud listening volume

1/2 Watt is screaming

2 Watts will take you head off

Passive pre amp $49

DAC on one input, phono on 2nd input

https://www.schiit.com/products/sys

Schiit also has formidable DACs starting around the $700 number

Schiit Aegir

Continuity™ Power Amplifier $799

Stereo, 8 Ohms: 20W RMS per channel 
Stereo, 4 Ohms: 40W RMS per channel
Mono, 8 ohms: 80W RMS 

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 3Hz-500KHz, -3dB
THD: <0.01%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 20W RMS into 8 ohms 
IMD: <0.01%, CCIR, at 20W RMS into 8 ohms
SNR: >112db, A-weighted, referenced to full output 
Damping Factor: >100 into 8 ohms, 20-20kHz
Gain: 12 (22dB)
Input Sensitivity: AKA Rated Output (Vrms)/Rated Gain. Or, 14.3/12. You do the math.
Input Impedance: 22k ohms SE, 44k ohms balanced
Crosstalk: >95dB, 20-20kHz
Inputs: L/R RCA jacks for stereo input, single XLR for mono input
Topology: Fully complementary, all-BJT, current feedback, no coupling capacitors or DC servos with Continuity™ constant transconductance output stage
Oversight: microprocessor-controlled monitoring and management of critical operational points, including DC offset, with standby mode and relay shut-down for overcurrent, thermal, and other faults
Power Supply: 600VA transformer with dual mono main rails, plus boosted, regulated supply to input, voltage gain and driver stages, plus separate, isolated and regulated rails for microprocessor management. 
Power Consumption: 450W maximum 
Size: 9” x 13” x 3.875”

Continuity™: Benefits Beyond Class A
Aegir is our first Continuity speaker amplifier, extending a technology we introduced with the Lyr 3 headphone amp. Technically, Continuity is a way to eliminate transconductance droop outside of the Class A bias region, and extend the benefits of Class A biasing. It also solves the NPN and PNP device mismatch problem, since it uses both NPN and PNP devices on both rails. It’s still a very hot-running amp, though, with over 10W of Class A standing bias.

A True No-Excuses Design
Like Vidar, Aegir uses an exotic current-feedback topology, as well as a 100% linear power supply (with 7 separate voltage rails and 600VA transformer) and microprocessor oversight to eliminate capacitors and DC servos in the signal path. No Class D, no switching supplies, no fans, no compromises, nothing in the signal path but music—for a three-figure price tag.

Power That Scales
Aegir provides 20W into 8 ohms, doubling to 40W into 4 ohms. Run mono, and you’ll see 80W into 8 ohms. Best of all, Continuity ensures you see Class-A-like performance at all these power outputs.

Convenient Standby Mode
On Aegir, we’ve added a front-panel button to put the amp into Standby mode. This de-biases the output stage completely and reduces standing power consumption significantly. This keeps the rest of the amp up and running, without massive heat output.

Designed and Built in California
By “designed and built in California" this is what we mean: the vast majority of the total production cost of Aegir—chassis, boards, transformers, assembly, etc—goes to US companies manufacturing in the US. Our chassis are made minutes from our facility. Our PCBs are done just over the hill from us, or done in NorCal. Our transformers are also made in California. You get the picture. 

5-Year Warranty and Easy Return Policy
Aegir is covered by a 5-year limited warranty that covers parts and labor. And if you don’t like your Aegir, you can send it back for a refund, minus 5% restocking fee, within 15 days of receiving it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeepnmon said:

😉 Currently, we're listening to the La Scala's by rotating in a few different vintage Marantz, Pioneer, Sansui, and Technics receivers as well as a Sansui CA/BA2000. 

As I've only had experience with older and vintage equipment with the La Scala's, I'm curious what a more modern integrated amplifier would do for the sound of the La Scala's in addition to adding a bit of modern convenience in the form of remote control. Our sources are Chromecast streaming, a turntable, and CD/DVD.

I have a bunch of Receivers, and integrated amps

I love them all but, they don't spec out as well as the separates.

You could score one of the vintage Yamaha A-1000s, A-1020 which are stellar

great phono section

but it's still a 40 year old unit, that has to be rebuilt $200+300-500 = 700 ?

Power output: 120 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.005%

Damping factor: 90

Input sensitivity: 0.16mV (MC), 2.5mV (MM), 150mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 80dB (MC), 94dB (MM), 106dB (line)

Channel separation: 70dB (MM), 65dB (line)

Output: 150mV (line)

Dimensions: 435 x 146 x 424.5mm

Weight: 13kg

Year: 1983

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/a-1000.shtml

"If you give the forum a budget, others can help you spend your money!  There are lots here with experience of all of the well known brands currently available.

My budget is $5000. That said, I would seriously consider reducing my collection of receivers as I wouldn't need them any longer and also to help fund this purchase.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bubo said:

PS

LaScalas are forever

Instead of buying a car cash, I purchased LaScalas in 1980

5 cars, 3 houses, bunch of girlfriends, and one wife........ all gone

The LaScalas are still with me.......

^^^  Listen to the man.  I can't meet all his comments...

7 cars, bunch of girlfriends, all gone.  Still have my wife, house AND the LaScalas

The LaScalas give me that warm & fuzzy look......the wife....  only gives me "the" look....

:unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5