Vintage Receiver or New Integrated Amplifier for La Scala's?

Peacemaker

I just picked up a restored, recapped vintage HK A402 to try with my LSI splits.  So far, sounds pretty sweet.  Separate L/R channel power supplies is the HK trademark......
Hi Jim! Hope you're doing well.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that one of the hk units were highly recommended. I'll look into your recommendation also.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PS

LaScalas are forever

Instead of buying a car cash, I purchased LaScalas in 1980

5 cars, 3 houses, bunch of girlfriends, and one wife........ all gone

The LaScalas are still with me.......
Just re-read this. I'll bet you were happy that your ex didn't take the La Scala's.

Hard to go wrong with Amazon refund policy. No like send back. Also they hold their value very well on the used market. I think you will be surprised at the level of sound produced by a SE tube amplifier. The EL-34 tube family is one of my favorites. It would be hard for me to talk about the retail market of amplifiers being a diy'er. All my many amplifiers are ones I have built. The last retail amp I tried a few years back I gave to my brother. It was a Yamaha. Maybe just the wrong Yamaha but it did not impress me at all but then I believe I only paid $400 for it. I am sure the more expensive ones would sound great. 

I watched that video and another one he did on the Reisong Boyuu A50 MKIII. I also saw the A20 (https://www.amazon.com/REISONG-BOYUU-Intergrated-Amplifier-Single-end/dp/B07L5CRQ7T) on Amazon. Other than cost what are the differences between the A10, the A20 and the A50? I get that there are different tubes being used but what does that translate into as far as the end result?

56 minutes ago, HornMan74 said:

I recently purchased a Prima Luna EVO 400 integrated amp that I love. It replaced a Conrad Johnson PV2ar/ Hafler 200 combination that I’d had for years.

I love my EVO 400 Integrated - Just rolled in some KT 150s and changed out my preamp tubes to Brimars and the sound is amazing - Enjoy your beautiful EVO

I recently purchased a Prima Luna EVO 400 integrated amp that I love. It replaced a Conrad Johnson PV2ar/ Hafler 200 combination that I’d had for years.

How does the Prima Luna Evo 400 compare to a SET amp and what made you go this route instead of SET?

On 1/28/2021 at 6:00 PM, Peacemaker said:

So, I'm at the point where tubes are very real option for me, but which type, SET, PP, and there's so many tube numbers to understand🤔.

It's somewhat dependent on what type of music you listen to, and at what volume levels. If you're a jazz/acoustic/folk/classical guy go for a SET, either 2A3 or 300B. In my opinion these amps paired with Lascalas are a match made in heaven. Also, the Decware Zen Triode would be a wonderful match (although I haven't heard one in person). Lascalas need a refined signal because they don't do a damn thing to tame a hard,  edgy sounding amp. They also don't need more than a few watts –– you're always going to be listening to less than 1 watt (for home use). The class A amps are so sweet, but they can't make them do 200w so that's why there are A/B amps. Take advantage of the fact that a class A is all you need (assuming you aren't metalhead). I've used push-pull with mine and they are okay... then I got the itch to build a 2A3 and never looked back. 3.5w per channel, detailed and smooth, with tonal qualities... you just need to hear one. 

It's somewhat dependent on what type of music you listen to, and at what volume levels. If you're a jazz/acoustic/folk/classical guy go for a SET, either 2A3 or 300B. In my opinion these amps paired with Lascalas are a match made in heaven. Also, the Decware Zen Triode would be a wonderful match (although I haven't heard one in person). Lascalas need a refined signal because they don't do a damn thing to tame a hard,  edgy sounding amp. They also don't need more than a few watts –– you're always going to be listening to less than 1 watt (for home use). The class A amps are so sweet, but they can't make them do 200w so that's why there are A/B amps. Take advantage of the fact that a class A is all you need (assuming you aren't metalhead). I've used push-pull with mine and they are okay... then I got the itch to build a 2A3 and never looked back. 3.5w per channel, detailed and smooth, with tonal qualities... you just need to hear one. 
How would you describe the sound difference between a 2A3 and a 300b amp? Any other advantages or disadvantages to either?

5 hours ago, Peacemaker said:

How would you describe the sound difference between a 2A3 and a 300b amp? Any other advantages or disadvantages to either?

There are many tubes available for either, and the tubes will have their own sound characteristics, so it's hard to generalize. 300B is going to deliver more power, so it may feel punchier, able to play louder, more overhead. The 2A3 may be a bit warmer and rounder, but again it's dependent on the specific tubes. I have not owned a 300B, only the 2A3 that I built from a Bottlehead kit in 2012 and have been very, very pleased with. If you can solder and follow clear directions you can build one of these, and they are really good. Their flagship model is now a 300B integrated (used to be 2A3 monoblocks). The 300B tube is renowned for its quality sound, and they can get pricy (you probably don't want to know... think down payment on a house). But you can buy quality 2A3 tubes for a mere $250 or so per pair –– almost like they're giving them away. I'd really like to build a 300B myself, but the cost (esp. w/ better tubes) is hard to justify when I already have such a sweet sounding 2A3. There is also a 300B by Elekit that is said to be excellent, with big *** iron. I'd say if you've got deep pockets and enjoy spending it, go with 300B.

nos-300B-eng-base-pair.jpg

diy-ek-tu-8600.jpg

6 hours ago, Peacemaker said:

I have never heard a 2A3  tube amplifier. That is one I have not built. The reason being following what George Anderson has to say about it. http://tubelab.com/  His description is like the 45 tube but having 2 45 tubes in one envelope. By the way the 45 tube is one of the best sounding ones you will find but low on power. I have a SS 45 tube amplifier and enjoy the sound it makes. I consider my SE 300b amplifier the best sounding of all the tube amplifiers I own. For all the diy'ers on this forum George's SSE amplifier is one of the best builds out there. I probably listen with it more than my other tube amplifiers. You will not go wrong with the EL34 family of tubes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Would the Elekit pair well with LaScalas? I have a bit of "kit-itis" with the covid and all and am tired of my excellent Crown D-60 and looking to make the jump to tubes. I would also be passing my Maggie/Emotiva stuff to my son and am thinking of the Bitfrost for a DAC replacing the Emotiva DAC. Any thoughts or comments or advice? all welcomed. The LaScala are 1976 with Crites tweeters and Bob rebuilt the X-over. Boxes are really beat up, almost funny they were sound reinforcemnt for a rock band and show a lot of being tossed around by roadies.

I think Bottlehead will assemble them if you want.  Decware also get good reviews.  The ones that get the most rave reviews IMO are the Dennis Had amps.  He lists them on ebay and are very very good.  

I would also talk to Duke @ Audiokinesis about a couple subwoofers and an amp.  They sell for $1600.  You will still be under $5000 for a nice amp and some subwoofers. 

I owned an Aegir and it is a Power amp, not an integrated.  It does sound really nice.  I moved up the Pass XA25 which is in your budget but also a power amp. 

I personally don't want any Chinese knockoffs. Where do you fix them?  Warranty?  Throwaway? 

Edited by DALEDEEE

• 1 month later...

I have a pair of 1978 LaScalas with AA crossovers that I recapped, and over the last year since getting them have tried a few things. I ran them originally with a Marantz 2275, and subsequently with a Fisher 500C receiver. Both sounded great. They even sounded fine with a new Yamaha 2 channel SS amp. Of all three, I preferred the Marantz combination.  Having foolishly sold the Marantz and the Fisher, I'm now using an Onkyo 5 channel receiver from ?2005. It does not sound as good at all. This is a temporizing measure until my Decware Zen Torii arrives, hopefully in April.

On 1/31/2021 at 6:59 AM, henry4841 said:

I have never heard a 2A3  tube amplifier. That is one I have not built. The reason being following what George Anderson has to say about it. http://tubelab.com/  His description is like the 45 tube but having 2 45 tubes in one envelope. By the way the 45 tube is one of the best sounding ones you will find but low on power. I have a SS 45 tube amplifier and enjoy the sound it makes. I consider my SE 300b amplifier the best sounding of all the tube amplifiers I own. For all the diy'ers on this forum George's SSE amplifier is one of the best builds out there. I probably listen with it more than my other tube amplifiers. You will not go wrong with the EL34 family of tubes. 

Can you steer me to the likn with the schematic for this SSE amp?