Early Klipsch Shorthorn

MWS55

Yes, one of the rarest, as only 48 were recorded.  #12 shows it shipped on Nov. 9, 1956.  However, several other units reflect factory updates at later dates.  Not sure if #12 just didn't get an update in the logbook. 

The signatories are Portus Gilley and Lloyd McClellan, two of PWK's earliest employees.  Both will be pictured in the upcoming 75th anniversary coffee table book this spring.

I refer to this model as the world's first consumer video monitor!

Photo 570000-1 Shorthorn T with TV 144.jpg

Thank you all very much for the information.  Very nice seeing the literature as well.  As I may be moving within the next  year, I will be ready to pass it on to another owner.  Any idea on what a fair asking price might be?  I see no screws in the back to remove a panel to see what is inside, but I do know that it plays.  It is quite heavy, but is on rollers.  

Edited by MWS55
grammar

You said, "they".  Do you have 2 Shorthorn Model Ts? 

I was once looking for a Shorthorn Model S, because Model Ts were/are unobtanium.  The last time I saw a Model S sell it went over $400.  I'm sure you ought to get that and possibly $600.

On 1/29/2021 at 7:32 AM, JRH said:

Yes, one of the rarest, as only 48 were recorded.  #12 shows it shipped on Nov. 9, 1956.  However, several other units reflect factory updates at later dates.  Not sure if #12 just didn't get an update in the logbook. 

The signatories are Portus Gilley and Lloyd McClellan, two of PWK's earliest employees.  Both will be pictured in the upcoming 75th anniversary coffee table book this spring.

I refer to this model as the world's first consumer video monitor!

Photo 570000-1 Shorthorn T with TV 144.jpg

The original sound bar.  😛

• 1 year later...

Well, this is the web, soooo....my guess is a DIY-guy saw Rebel 3 plans in a magazine or Cohen's book and put a Univ load in it (and tried to "ape" PWK's Shorthorn face/cosmetics).  Entirely ready to be declared incorrect by The Historian (or anyone else), though. 

• Like 1

cabinets look like the real deal to me ....probably sold as unfinished mahogany without drivers...that's probably the  "kit" the seller refers to...these particular University brand components probably sound as good as the Klipsch offered "Ortho" drivers with the exception of the Stephens woofer option...very similar components were used in the University S8 "Classic" (except the S8 mid-horn being the "Cobreflex")

BIG 1956 VINTAGE University S-8 CLASSIC 3Way Highend HORN LOADED SPEAKER01.jpg

1 hour ago, mungkiman said:

These were made in the spirit of a Klipsch Shorthorn and offer a passing resemblance, but, other than that, there is nothing Klipsch about these. Not even the cabinets.

But, if they sound good and you like the price...

They're local and look interesting, and seemed kind of rare. But I don't need another pair of speakers, unless a nice pair of Khorns show up in the same area. But thought I'd try to get the skinny on these as I've never seen a pair.

• 9 months later...

Hello everyone, first time

poster here. I have a single speaker that belonged to my grandfather. I believe it’s a 1950s “T Shorthorn” kit. 

I’ve done some looking around the internet and I can’t seem to find images that resemble exactly what I have here. Strangely, it’s stamped or stenciled, “Klipssh”. Yes, misspelled. It has the T Shorthorn logo/graphic and below that it says something I can’t make out and below that says, “Assembly Kit”. 

Can anyone tell me

what I have here? 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, StevieCH said:

Hello everyone, first time

poster here. I have a single speaker that belonged to my grandfather. I believe it’s a 1950s “T Shorthorn” kit. 

I’ve done some looking around the internet and I can’t seem to find images that resemble exactly what I have here. Strangely, it’s stamped or stenciled, “Klipssh”. Yes, misspelled. It has the T Shorthorn logo/graphic and below that it says something I can’t make out and below that says, “Assembly Kit”. 

Can anyone tell me

what I have here? 

Jim @JRH probably can, it would help him if you post some photos.

• 1 month later...

pictures are VIP   , if you cant  take a picture , ask someone  to take pictures  for you using a cell phone , the bigger the picture , the better ,  what is essential are the Tags of the speaker and the drivers serial numbers .  

• 10 months later...

I’ve got something very similar in which i’m having a hard time discerning EXACTLY what I have here. Seems to be a Klipsch Kit from 1956 marking w/ Klipsh Crossover and Hi-End University Speakers.

Everything is in great shape and sounds awesome. I’ve just struggled on the research.

Has

University C15W of a Beast

University Type Mid T

University SaHF

It has some Klipsh tags, but nothing thorough. I understand this is a Kit though.

I’ve had this for a while and anything you Klipsh geniuses can give me on this ismost appreciated!

Here are some Pics

Thanks!

AfterlightImage.jpeg

AfterlightImage.jpeg

AfterlightImage.jpeg

AfterlightImage.jpeg

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, CraigTB said:

I’ve got something very similar in which i’m having a hard time discerning EXACTLY what I have here. Seems to be a Klipsch Kit from 1956 marking w/ Klipsh Crossover and Hi-End University Speakers.

Everything is in great shape and sounds awesome. I’ve just struggled on the research.

Has

University C15W of a Beast

University Type Mid T

University SaHF

It has some Klipsh tags, but nothing thorough. I understand this is a Kit though.

I’ve had this for a while and anything you Klipsh geniuses can give me on this ismost appreciated!

Here are some Pics

Thanks!

AfterlightImage.jpeg

AfterlightImage.jpeg

AfterlightImage.jpeg

AfterlightImage.jpeg

Welcome to the forum, I’m sure with the Museum Curator, Jim Hunter @JRH returns from the holidays he will be all over this one.