What do you collect?

juniper

We all collect memories. Some choose to gather and curate objects of rarity or interest. Some suffered deprived childhoods and just hoard to ‘have’ to nurture that void. For myself the things I keep around my house need to contribute to the whole and that means a mixture more than a collection. One intriguing antique or a piece of art can anchor a wall or niche. But I do not like clutter so there’s no ‘massing’ of collections for the sake of having every element of any genre.

My stained glass hobby drives an obscure notion that maybe, someday my work will be desired enough to be considered noteworthy, or collectible. For now each piece is just a challenge. But between the Mrs and myself we have a lot of stained glass. So it constitutes a collection. 👍🤪

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Marvel said:

So... your collection is a real pane?

Genuinely.......   Every window has at least 1 piece hanging (that includes all the bathroom windows) and we have stuff displayed on easels. We have another 25 big pieces stored and about 200 smalls in boxes. We’d planned on the art festivals last year but they got covid19 cancelled. 😔

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Foxman said:

I have in the ballpark of 11,000-15,000 books with nearly 10,000 of those digital.

Had a friend whose great aunt was an editor in NYC during the 1st half of the 20th century. She’d inherited a garage full of books. The only one of note I can recall was a Hitler signed copy of Mein Kampf. Guess it was more notorious than note worthy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nickyboy6100 said:

Gransfors Bruk axes. I split a ton of wood by hand. I purchased one of their axes 2O years ago and really liked the quality. Now I have a pretty good collection. 

33008EB0-07DF-42A8-A1B2-6C61A0F11A0B.jpeg

I think my older son has my Gransfor Bruk. Wonderful axe!

• Like 1

I collect Bugles in the key of G, from the 1970's and 80's.  Two valve only.  They are from a great era in DCI competition, Drum Corps International.  Drum corps is the genre I most like.  It takes horns to play horns!

Here is a DEG soprano bugle, similar to a Bb trumpet.

IMG_4439.JPG

The Blue Devils from Concord, California absolutely rip through Maynard Ferguson's arrangement of La Fiesta, all on G bugles.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Currently collecting things of fairly low value per item that are easily stored like

75+ Vintage wool throws/blankets

100+ Minerals and crystals

750+ Marbles

1000+ Books pre WII

1000+ U.S. coins

2000+ Blu-rays

Can never get enough of

Tools

Wool shirts/socks

Shells, shark teeth, furs, bones, antlers

Stopped collecting (because)

Leather boots/shoes (enough)

Mikasa china (completed)

Most antiques (space)

Speakers (satisfied)

Wildlife Art prints (style)

The rest of my collections I sold, or have not acquired enough of, or haven't pursued for a sufficient enough amount of time to consider myself a collector of. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...