Best McIntosh amplifier for Klipsch

Little Wolf

Hi to all!

For your experience what was the best McIntosh amplifier matched with your Klipsch?

Now I'm trying an entry level MA5200 with my KLF30's  ad I love it! Yes, it doesn't have  classic AT but it is great anyway. 

So I wonder how can sound other more powerful, amazing integrated amplifier.

12 minutes ago, Little Wolf said:

KLF30,  for example...

Do I need a lot of watts or MA5200's 100 watts are enough?

Is it only a question of watts?

What are the specs on the speakers ?

Klipsch Heritage Line, which is most of the posters on here, are highly efficient

LaScala

1/100 watt is loud normal listening

1/2 watt is screaming

2 watts is unbearable

I'm listening at less than 1/200 watt and it's plenty loud

20 watt amp is a lot of power for the Heritage line

Less efficient speakers may need 30 watts just to start making a little noise

200 watts may be needed to produce loud volume with direct radiators vs horn loaded

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2021 at 6:24 PM, Bubo said:

What are the specs on the speakers ?

Klipsch Legend KLF30:

• Crossover Channel Qty 3-way
  • Nominal Output Power 200 Watt
  • Max (RMS) Output Power 800 Watt
  • Frequency Response 36 - 20000 Hz
  • Nominal Impedance 8 Ohm
  • Sensitivity 102 dB
  • Crossover Frequency 7000Hz, 825HZ
  • Width 14 in

Depth 17.1 in

Height 46.6 in

Weight 92.15 lbs

Any McIntosh with 20 watts or more will drive your speakers.

Just read the reviews on any model you are interested in, esp if buying used

Damping greater than 20 if direct radiators, which your woofers are.

Less than 20 bass will be less accurate.

Mac has capacitor coupled which are lighter by 30-75 lbs, or transformer coupled

which are very heavy, but old school McIntosh.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-8WL6lPqxUPZ/p_958MAC6700/McIntosh-MAC6700.html

McIntosh MAC6700 - Output terminals feature 3 different taps for matching the impedance of your speakers

h958MAC6700-B.jpg

About the McIntosh MAC6700

A no-compromise stereo receiver
I used to have a sniffy attitude toward receivers. To me, they were a compromise product for the kind of listener who wouldn't or couldn't be bothered with the superior sound of separate components. But as I looked into the details of the MAC6700 stereo receiver, my attitude took a serious hit. That's because McIntosh has clearly designed this beast of a receiver to deliver performance every bit as stunning as their separate amps, preamps, and tuners, only with the convenience of a single chassis. And they provided all the inputs needed for music lovers to enjoy their favorite analog and digital sources.    

Product highlights:

• 200 watts x 2 channels into 2, 4, or 8 ohms
  • total harmonic distortion: 0.005% at 20-20,000 Hz
  • frequency response: 10-100,000 Hz (+0, -3dB)
  • signal-to-noise ratio: 95dB (line level), 84dB (phono MM) 82dB (phono MC), 113dB (power amp)
  • wide-band damping factor: greater than 40
  • built-in McIntosh Digital Engine up-sampling DAC for decoding digital audio sources
  • AM/FM tuner with 20 presets per radio band
  • built-in High Drive headphone amplifier
  • large power transformer with multiple filter capacitors and regulated power supply ensures stable, noise-free operation
  • patented McIntosh output Autoformers ensure every connected speaker receives full power regardless of its impedance
  • patented McIntosh Power Guard circuit prevents amplifier clipping to protect speakers
  • Sentry Monitor and Thermal Protection circuits provide long amplifier operating life and protection against overheating
  • Home Theater Pass Through mode allows receiver's amplifier to become part of a multichannel sound system
  • fiber optic illuminated glass front panel for a beautiful appearance and long-term durability
  • adjustable front-panel display brightness settings
  • illuminated power meters (with illumination on/off settings)
  • handcrafted at McIntosh's Binghamton, New York factory
Inputs:
  • USB (Type B) input for connection to a computer
    • supported bit depth and sample rates: up to 32-bit/192kHz
    • dedicated McIntosh USB audio driver required for playback on a Windows® PC
    • (free USB driver download available from McIntosh's website)
  • 1 optical and 1 coaxial digital audio input
    • supported bit depth and sample rates: up to 32-bit/96kHz
  • 1 set of balanced stereo XLR inputs
  • 5 stereo RCA audio inputs
  • separate RCA phono inputs for moving magnet (MM) and moving coil (MC) cartridges
    • adjustable input impedance loading for optimum sonic performance with a range of MC cartridges (50-, 100-, 200-, 400-, and 1000-ohm settings)
  • IR input for connecting an IR receiver
Outputs:
  • custom McIntosh gold-plated binding-post speaker connectors with 2-ohm, 4-ohm, and 8-ohm output taps to match speaker impedance
  • full-size headphone output (20-600 ohms recommended impedance)
  • RCA preamp out/power amp input jacks
Other Info and Specs:
  • asynchronous USB technology for reduced timing jitter and better sound
  • bass and treble controls with tone control circuitry bypass settings for each individual input source
  • Power Control output provides convenient turn-on/off of McIntosh source components
  • 6 Data Ports provide remote control of connected McIntosh source components
  • RS232-C connector for connection to a computer or other control device
  • remote
  • 17-1/2"W x 7-5/8"H x 22"D
  • weight: 76 lbs.
  • If connecting to a TV, please make sure you can select "PCM" output in your TV's audio menu. The built-in DAC cannot decode multi-channel Dolby® Digital signals.
  • warranty: 3 years
  • Our 60-day money-back guarantee
  • MFR # MAC6700

What's in the box:

McIntosh MAC6700 owner's manual

• Stereo receiver
  • 6' AC power cord
  • Remote control
  • AM antenna
  • 15' Antenna cable
  • Owner's Manual

Also important is the type of music you listen to. I have been happy with 3.5 watts for quiet listening and then ran 600 watts per channel for rock / metal. Most of my listening is at lower volume these days so 30/40 tube watts to 300 solid state watts. Actual power usage typically below 20 watts on a tri-amp 3way system system. And below 10 watts on the Chorus II’s.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 8:34 PM, Bubo said:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-8WL6lPqxUPZ/p_958MAC6700/McIntosh-MAC6700.html

McIntosh MAC6700 - Output terminals feature 3 different taps for matching the impedance of your speakers

I already have a McIntosh MA5200 (100 watts x 2 channels).

What would give me a more powerful model like this?

6 hours ago, Little Wolf said:

I already have a McIntosh MA5200 (100 watts x 2 channels).

What would give me a more powerful model like this?

If you already have Mac you like

I would declare victory

and look elsewhere for improvements or new toys.

You may consider one of McIntosh's autoformer amplifiers; that is the classic, solid state McIntosh amp.  The MA5200 is not an autoformer amp, but is still a good amplifier; you may want to keep it and maybe buy some Cornwall IV speakers, which are receiving rave reviews (albeit the KLF30s are no slouch).  If you want a new Mac autoformer amp, you may consider the MC152; it should have plenty of power for your needs.  I think they run about 5 grand.

edit: The MC152 is not an integrated amp.

7 hours ago, Schu said:

I've been reading a lot about Mac's DIRECT COUPLED 5300 lately... I might try one. I am less enthused about output transformer models.

That’s funny, I have the opposite opinion; I just love the effortless, dynamic, musical sound of an autoformer amp. No accounting for taste!

• 2 weeks later...

MC-2200/2205 IS 200W w/Autoformers, is an order of magnitude beyond 1's gen McIntosh MC-2100/2105 SS amps.

Really woke up my Forte II's.  I sold the MC-2100 when an ADCOM GFA-555 kicked it out the back door. 

Flabby bass, smeared upper highs, mids were beautiful.  MA-6100 integrated sounded better at 60W.

20 hours ago, HiFi Heaven said:

MC-2200/2205 IS 200W w/Autoformers, is an order of magnitude beyond 1's gen McIntosh MC-2100/2105 SS amps.

Really woke up my Forte II's.  I sold the MC-2100 when an ADCOM GFA-555 kicked it out the back door. 

Flabby bass, smeared upper highs, mids were beautiful.  MA-6100 integrated sounded better at 60W.

The MC250 was McIntosh’s first generation solid state amp; the 2100s were second generation.  To my ear, the 2205 and 2105 are basically voiced the same with their very similar autoformer designs (admittedly, the 2205 is certainly more powerful). If your Mac 2100 sounded as you described, it may have had some issues.