GZ34 or Solid State Rectifier?

avguytx

I had sold my VTA ST-70 because I rarely ever used it and what happens?  I come across a group of things that I couldn't pass up including a basically new, and mostly finished, Dynakit ST-70 with the upgraded transformers, etc.  All that it needs is the power transformer wiring finished and a full set of tubes and it should be off to the races.  Kevin, at Dynakit, recommended using some KT77's in it and I believe I have a pair of Stromberg Carlson labeled 7199's to go in, too.  On the VTA ST-70 I had, the original GZ34 failed after a few months and I replaced it with a Genelex Gold Lion and also bought a JJ Tesla for backup.  Is there any advantage to using a Solid State rectifier in place of the tube besides cost?  Does it put more stress on the output tubes?

I've also got a Scot 299-d integrated tube amp that I'll have to get 11 tubes for that was serviced by Terry Dewick maybe 15 years ago.  But that's another story...

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/ST70.htm   has a TDR board that may be helpful.  You might have a look here:  https://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.com  

From what I understand the S/S rectifier uses 17 volts less because it doesn't need heater current. I use a Weber WS-1t in my Bob Latino VTA ST-120. Prior to this I was using a Re-issue TungSol 5AR4 with no problems (about 1 1/2 yrs) I got an auto bias board and this also has a delay so I got the S/S. I don't hear a difference.

Both Kevin and Bob L are good guys to deal with in my experiences.

I've run both in my Latino ST-120, and you will need some sort of time delay with the ss unless it has a built in delay. I found some cool Mullard GZ-33 rectifier tubes that not only look great, but have handled the load on the ST-120 for ten years now. I kept blowing new production GZ-34's. I prefer the look of glowing tubes!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

What do you think about the Telefunken GZ34

If it is new production it doesn't cut it. I'd save my penies for a vintage good GZ34... If you get a nos gz34 you won't need another for the lifetime of that amp.

I appreciate all the information on the GZ34 tubes.  I know these have the ability to get pretty pricy pretty quick especially for the NOS models and even used.  I guess I need to decide something soon and might spring for one of the better GZ34's as soon as I get a pair of JBL L50's sold off which will free up some "toy money".

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, avguytx said:

I just wish I new better on where to look for the GZ34's and which to  go with.  I'm not a tube guru so it's a shot in the dark for me and I ultimately go months before ever getting one.  Like now.

Just go to ebay and bid on a few tubes. You can't go wrong with any vintage gz34s.

Something like these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-Mullard-GZ34-5AR4-Rectifier-Tubes-Very-Strong-Balanced/373483825952?hash=item56f55eeb20:g:6mcAAOSwnBdgQF9W

• Like 1