Brand new at this, looking for advice.

StratosphereX

Hey everyone,

so I’ve had a 250.00 pioneer surround sound system for 20 years now and I’m looking at finally getting my upgrade. I’ve been trying to get as much info as I can but honestly it is daunting with all the info. So where I’m at right now is I’ve heard if I can put Atmos speakers in the ceiling, that’s better than up firing ones (which I can do) and I’d like to go with a 7.1.2 (can’t afford a receiver fro 7.1.4). I’m looking at the Yahama RX V6A with the R 820Fs, and R34C with the R120 SW (eventually plan on getting a second). I was originally going to go with the R51 surrounds but one will be in a walkway so I was thinking about switching to R41SAs for the surrounds and rears. Since they’re only 4” woofers I’m thinking about upgrading them to the RP500SAs and leaning towards the Pro 16RCs for the ceilings (didn’t think I needed 8” speakers for Atmos). 

This is our living room and the furniture is really in the only spots we can put them. I originally had the loveseat at the back wall but moved it out because of the eventual rear speakers. The height of the surrounds and rears will be adjusted when I can actually see the angle of the speaker face. I’m planning on lowering them as far as I can where the RS isn’t in the way of the walkway. The LS is right at a window so I’m going to make a mount that hangs down from the ceiling (in front of the window) at the correct height. The rear surrounds should be farther apart but I’ll get them as far as possible. Also have to have them high enough so the couch doesn’t block the sound. 

This is where I’m at right now and would appreciate any advice. The room dimensions are 18’x12’x8’. The seats are 4’ from the back wall (can’t move them closer due to the other couch). 

IMG_2795.jpg

IMG_2796.jpg

IMG_2797.jpg

IMG_2798.jpg

That room should be well filled with sound as you illustrated. Not many of us have "ideal" rooms and we make do with what we have.

You seem to be planning that out well.

I can't comment on the receiver - though I do like Yamaha. I installed a Yahama RX V4A in my master bedroom today - to run a 3.1 system. Installation testing is positive so far - I know my RX V4A is a lot less of a receiver than the RX V6A you are looking at. 

All in all - you are on the right track. With HT stuff budget is king. Then maximize what you can get for your buck.

Good luck!

Everything looks good to me to be honest and looks like a well thought out plan, maximizing the space you have available. The only thing I would consider (and it's hard to tell exactly from the photos), but if mounting the left surround on the wall just next to the window only puts it slightly behind the main listening position, then I would rather do that than mission with that hanging mount in front of the window. According to Dolby, the surrounds can be anywhere from 90 to 110 degrees to the side of the listening position, but there's really no reason they can't be slightly further behind than that if it would be more practical and make your life easier. From what I can tell, they'd still be far enough away from the back wall, and would offer more than adequate channel separation to the rear surrounds. And I think it would look nicer with them on the wall next to the window rather than in front of the window. It is a lounge afterall and not a dedicated home theatre, so we need to balance practicality with what the specs call for... 🙂 I also think the sound will probably more evenly match the sound on the opposite wall. Just make sure you mount the right surround directly opposite the left surround... 😉

From your plan, I can see that you've probably consulted the various 3D sound specs diligently... my last suggestion is just to make sure that you're putting the two Atmos speakers as close to the recommended spec for a 7.1.2 layout. It differs from the 7.1.4 layout in terms of angles etc. But it doesn't have to be exact... just in the right ballpark is more than adequate.

7.1.2 Dolby Atmos Layout: https://www.dolby.com/about/support/guide/speaker-setup-guides/7.1.2-overhead-speaker-setup-guide/

Overhead Speaker Placement

Overhead Speaker Placement

PS: I've seen very positive reviews for the Yahama RX V6A, so no issues there at all... I love Yamaha receivers for what it's worth.

Everything looks good to me to be honest and looks like a well thought out plan, maximizing the space you have available. The only thing I would consider (and it's hard to tell exactly from the photos), but if mounting the left surround on the wall just next to the window only puts it slightly behind the main listening position, then I would rather do that than mission with that hanging mount in front of the window. According to Dolby, the surrounds can be anywhere from 90 to 110 degrees to the side of the listening position, but there's really no reason they can't be slightly further behind than that if it would be more practical and make your life easier. From what I can tell, they'd still be far enough away from the back wall, and would offer more than adequate channel separation to the rear surrounds. And I think it would look nicer with them on the wall next to the window rather than in front of the window. It is a lounge afterall and not a dedicated home theatre, so we need to balance practicality with what the specs call for... [emoji846] I also think the sound will probably more evenly match the sound on the opposite wall. Just make sure you mount the right surround directly opposite the left surround... [emoji6]

From your plan, I can see that you've probably consulted the various 3D sound specs diligently... my last suggestion is just to make sure that you're putting the two Atmos speakers as close to the recommended spec for a 7.1.2 layout. It differs from the 7.1.4 layout in terms of angles etc. But it doesn't have to be exact... just in the right ballpark is more than adequate.

7.1.2 Dolby Atmos Layout: https://www.dolby.com/about/support/guide/speaker-setup-guides/7.1.2-overhead-speaker-setup-guide/
7.1.2-Speaker-Placement.jpg?width=1440&quality=80
Overhead-Speaker-Placement.jpg?width=1440&quality=80

PS: I've seen very positive reviews for the Yahama RX V6A, so no issues there at all... I love Yamaha receivers for what it's worth.

Hey thanks... I was actually leaning towards putting them behind the listening position but like you said, trying to balance life (we play a lot of darts and not everyone we play with can hit just the board :D). I’m good aft fabricating so I didn’t think it was a big deal. And you are right. The ceiling speakers are in the wrong position.. I had seen one layout that said to have them at a 45 degree from the ceiling to the listening position but multiple after that showed what you showed. So I move my reference marks to accommodate the 80 degrees. I think I’m cautious since I’ll be fishing lines and cutting holes and want it to be accurate or at least as accurate as I possibly can with what I’m working with. Of course I could just connect them and run temporary wires across the floors to verify my layout before I fish them (me thinking out loud). Well I appreciate the time you took.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, StratosphereX said:

I had seen one layout that said to have them at a 45 degree from the ceiling to the listening position but multiple after that showed what you showed.

Yeah, I think you might have been looking at the 7.1.4 setup at the time, which does call for around a 45 degree angle to the Atmos front heights (and is the reason I thought I'd draw your attention to that):

Atmos 7.1.4 setup:

7.1.4 Overhead Speaker Placement

15 hours ago, StratosphereX said:

Of course I could just connect them and run temporary wires across the floors to verify my layout before I fish them (me thinking out loud).

I'm not sure it's even necessary to go to those lengths of testing (for the Atmos height channels I mean). Just get the angles and alignment roughly right, factoring in any obstructions in and on your ceiling and then cut the holes and run the cables. They can be roughly above you or slightly forward of your listening position and then roughly in line with your mains (or a bit wider than your mains if yours are a bit close together, and you should have an excellent Atmos experience. 

All the best and enjoy!

Brendon