"vote on what should be approved"

Woofers and Tweeters

• Moderators
4 hours ago, billybob said:

Voting? 

So is it 12, 6 jokers and 6 clowns?

Sounds balanced if so.

Jokers and Clowns don't vote, everyone knows that. It's a combo of both Jokers and Clowns, don't know who is who, it shouldn't and doesn't matter. 

There has been paradigm shift on what is "political." If you are a Joker or Clown it's presumed to be political unless it's clear that it is free of even a hint of innuendo or intrigue. Why? Because that where it always ends up.

Everyone else, it's the opposite, presumed that it's made in good faith. This  makes it real easy to spot Jokers and Clowns waiting to take their place.

On 1/29/2021 at 11:17 AM, dwilawyer said:

Thad, wasn't banned, he's in a time out, for a MEME that he created that has the F word in it - I can understand the confusion, there's a group on here that will spin anything and everything out of thin air that never even resembles reality. 

FOR THE RECORD.. I didn't create the meme. And it was a direct pop culture quote from the show "Silicon Valley" and is meant to convey "this guy knows what's going on." But yea, it had a big boy word in the image.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

FOR THE RECORD.. I didn't create the meme. And it was a direct pop culture quote from the show "Silicon Valley" and is meant to convey "this guy knows what's going on." But yea, it had a big boy word in the image.

10 lashes for you!

51 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Just try to behave yourself! I don't want this forum shut down by the higher ups.

I need this venue to stay up to date on pandemics and such. Speaker guys have all the correct information.

I also need cut and paste answers to whatever question I may have. My computer doesn't do the google so I need this service too.

Occasionally, I do have a speaker related question or story to tell as well.

1 hour ago, MookieStl said:

Just try to behave yourself! I don't want this forum shut down by the higher ups.

I need this venue to stay up to date on pandemics and such. Speaker guys have all the correct information.

I also need cut and paste answers to whatever question I may have. My computer doesn't do the google so I need this service too.

Occasionally, I do have a speaker related question or story to tell as well.

It appears to me that the forums no longer tolerate discourse. They allow select articles on select subjects..... but do not discuss them. Taboo content exists in just about every current news topic so very few qualify around here. For example posters can no longer discuss or post articles about The World Health Organization....  it has been deemed too controversial. Really. If you wanna stay abreast of covid19 just read the news and try to discern the real from the fake news. Posting here is sorta like doing a lighthearted polka in a mine field in a snowstorm. Behaving yourself has evolved to mean reading other posts and waiting to see if they survive.

• Like 7

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Nice to see you. Thanks on the signature stuff.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

It appears to me that the forums no longer tolerate discourse. They allow select articles on select subjects..... but do not discuss them. Taboo content exists in just about every current news topic so very few qualify around here. For example posters can no longer discuss or post articles about The World Health Organization....  it has been deemed too controversial. Really. If you wanna stay abreast of covid19 just read the news and try to discern the real from the fake news. Posting here is sorta like doing a lighthearted polka in a mine field in a snowstorm. Behaving yourself has evolved to mean reading other posts and waiting to see if they survive.

Not really, the is not the news or part of it.

And if it were to be allowed, someone will positively turn it political, it does even if is just little comments, then others reply if offended or not until it's political even when disguised.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, dtel said:

Not really, the is not the news or part of it.

And if it were to be allowed, someone will positively turn it political, it does even if is just little comments, then others reply if offended or not until it's political even when disguised.

That’s the problem. You are moderating the ‘headwaters’ of what ‘might’ veer into controversy. So literally next to nothing gets allowed. Way, way, way over killed.

• Like 2

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Also direct quotes from members over the years, but you're welcome. My olive branch of sorts. ;)

I was made aware of that, which made a lot of sense on one hand - they didn't fit at all with what you would typically say, and a bit baffling on the other hand as to what people will say.

Maybe it was [name for common lab glassware]. No matter. I appreciate the gesture.

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

That’s the problem. You are moderating the ‘headwaters’ of what ‘might’ veer into controversy. So literally next to nothing gets allowed. Way, way, way over killed.

Controversary isn't the issue. Search "capacitors" "digital vs. analog" "expensive cables" "A/B testing", I could give you 25 more when you are done with those. Controversy isn't the issue, the issue is either personal exchanges or political. 

It's pretty easy to spot what's going to go off the tracks, and we don't have any special prediction powers, you can just tell from the nature of the topic. Then there are other topics that have nothing to do with politics but there are some who turn everything political. The easy option would be to just eliminate the Lounge, which we are fighting to keep. Threads like Cables, Coffee, and Cocktails are pretty much self moderated, they won't allow nonsense to get that thread deleted. 

There is only one other audio manufacturer that operates a Forum (at least that I'm aware of, and I have looked). Guess what, zero politics, and zero threads on non-audio related topics. they don't allow anything on Covid, they have been there done that. They are not going to waste time trying to moderate something as politically intertwined as Covid, they just booted it.

A note in their Clubhouse (equivalent of our Lounge) from last May:

I[Begin Quote]

It seems like some of you need a refresher on the rules. Moving forward non-audio related threads/posts will be deleted period. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I will close or delete all non-audio related threads. Jut threads that will obviously get political. Ex: COVID, Minneapolis Riots, Upcoming Election, or anything of the sort.

Despite giving the community multiple opportunities to behave and have civilized conversations it just doesn't seem to be the case. Things quickly turn for the worst and I don't have the bandwidth nor the will to babysit grown adults.

This forum was primarily created to talk about audio, not about world events, we will no longer allow this type of "chatter" here, there are plenty of other forums like Reddit or 4Chan to do so.

Here's that little refresher I mentioned above.

[End of quote, the emphasis in the quote is mine].

The same problems and issues exist across all audio forums that I have checked. 

Compare what the forum administrator posted above as a reminder with what @dtel posted as a "reminder" in July. 

Perhaps, maybe, topics that used to turn political in an instant will not go that route now that some recent changes have been made. It's doubtful, but we will see.